frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Masters swim

This was my first night of masters swimming. I think it went ok. I was crazy nervous but didn't drown or mess anyone else up too bad. Please give me hints to make it easier to learn the jargon.
Aaron WebsteyM_WareMartinwchevronMattfyrehaar

Comments

• Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Need examples, but basics that I'm thinking you may not know:
    "On the X" means you're swimming and leaving on the next time the clock hits that interval. "On 1:20" would mean you'd start interval 2 at 1:20 after you started, 3 at 2:40, 4th interval at 4:00 etc etc. So if you swim a second faster, you get an extra second of rest. Swimming tends to operate more this way than a fixed rest because that would be madness with 8 kids in a lane each taking :10 themselves. Plus they'd definitely lie
    Top-when the pace clock comes back to 00, even if it's digital
    Bottom-:30, same idea
    Stroke and/or choice-not freestyle. Tell them you're doing "alternating single arm butterfly with a flutter kick drill" instead
    Flutter kick: normal freestyle kick
    Dolphin kick: butterfly kick
    Otherwise....certain drills may have more colloquial names. If the coach writes a drill set and you have no clue what the drill is, just ask. I still do.
    simonsen77KenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyCraig_DMamaCheetahG Scott LayherTad_MfyrehaarBrent_RKelly O'Marahaywarmi
  • Options
    Thanks for explaining the clock. I sort of understood it yesterday. I am sure it will be easier.
    How do you know when to use pull bouy. I grabbed one but didn't use it. I saw some people did and some did not.
  • Options
    The clock reading gets easier with time. The main thing is you don't need to actually pay attention to the minutes, just the seconds. For the example of leaving on 1:20, all that matters is that you leave when it hits 20, then 40, then the top, then 20.....or if it's say, 55, you're just losing 5 sec each sendoff, etc.
    As for pull buoy, I'm assuming there's a coach on deck going through the workout? Or at least somebody writing the workout in advance? Normally it would say "pull" on the paper/board if you're absolutely supposed to pull, in which case use the buoy. A thing I've heard of but never directly observed is people grabbing a buoy to survive a set or make it easier. Don't do this. It not only reinforces bad habits, it's just....don't. More importantly, though, is not being the guy who uses fins unless everybody else is using them. That just messes the whole thing up.
    The big thing is: obey the set, within reason. On stroke sets, kicks, etc...you might need to occasionally skip a 50 or so to keep from royally screwing up the lane. You'll live. Masters swimming doesn't quite have the discipline that age group swimming does, because you're all adults and can exercise critical thinking to modify workouts as needed/practicable. But do it as little as possible.
    G Scott LayherTad_MAaron Websteyfyrehaar
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    idking90 said:

Tell them you're doing "alternating single arm butterfly with a flutter kick drill" instead

@idking90 , you deserve an extra DM for this. I didn't want to DM such a nice and serious note.
    Aaron Websteyfyrehaaridking90KenElPescadoPelado
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I never got the 'pull to survive a set' thing (although I too have seen it many times). I'm so much slower with a pull buoy.

And this is probably obvious, but if you're catching the person in front of you, once you've touched their feet once you hang back and wait till the end of the current interval without touching em again. They *should* then ask if you want to go ahead on the next interval.
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Swimming for triathlon training? What the fuck is this?
    Aaron Websteysimonsen77balsdorfKenElPescadoPeladohaywarmiscottyDawnC
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Swimming for triathlon training? What the fuck is this?

I bet this guy paces the bike so he won't blow up on the run, too
    StruangTad_Midking90Granpa Chookscotty
    #KOAT
  • Options
    @Tad_Machrowicz glad you caught that. I use that one with my masters coach all the time. That or "lane-pull backstroke"
    I hate other strokes. I only started swimming as a junior in high school, so I just took my cross country fitness and swam the 500...so I never got very good at the other strokes. When I shifted to triathlon, I eschewed them entirely and can't swim more than a 25 of any of them "fast." So that 400 IM I signed up for in a masters meet next weekend will be a blast
    Aaron WebsteyTad_MCraig_Dhaywarmi
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    I would only say that if you're in the "right" lane for all other strokes or sets but can't keep up in kick sets, it is acceptable to use fins (or as I have done, go last and fall way behind on the first half, Slip my fins on quick and try to catch up on the back half).
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I'm considering joining a master's club next fall, but I can't flutter kick at all. Last year I was averaging 17km a week in the pool (and had my much maligned 8000m endurance swim) and even then I couldn't flutter kick 25m without stopping or doing breast stroke kicks. I have very stiff ankles, small feet, and no aptitude for kicking. It'll be fins or no kick drills for me.
    Aaron Webstey

• Options
    I just wanted to give a brief update on my masters swimming.
    I am still nervous that I will mess up everyone in my lane but have not been yelled at...yet.
    I really enjoy it. I think that for anyone who is a good swimmer and those who are not a lot can be gained. The coach always has something that will immediately help my swim.
    I chose a lane that has at least one person slightly faster then me and have had a great workout each time.
    simonsen77KenElPescadoPeladoSeanHfyrehaarA_drizzleM_WareAaron WebsteyGasBombCraig_DTad_M
  • Options
    Elaine KElaine K Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I just wanted to give a brief update on my masters swimming.
    I am still nervous that I will mess up everyone in my lane but have not been yelled at...yet.
    I really enjoy it. I think that for anyone who is a good swimmer and those who are not a lot can be gained. The coach always has something that will immediately help my swim.
    I chose a lane that has at least one person slightly faster then me and have had a great workout each time.

Nice! Keep it up!

I chose a lane with someone faster than me so I don't have to count :)
    G Scott Layhermbrekk44Aaron WebsteyGasBombCraig_DTad_Mfyrehaar
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    Also I need to add that when we have to do butterfly. I give the lifeguard a wave or reassurance, because I know they are watching me and trying to determine if they need to jump in or not. I hate butterfly.
    mbrekk44M_WareAaron WebsteyMattkjrunninTad_MBrent_R
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    edited April 2017
    Sounds like me, except backstroke.. I warn everyone that i will probably run into them..I should warn the people in the lane next to me as well..The 200 IM absolutely destroys me
    M_WareAaron WebsteyGasBombTad_MG Scott Layher
  • Options
    mbrekk44 said:

Sounds like me, except backstroke.. I warn everyone that i will probably run into them..I should warn the people in the lane next to me as well..The 200 IM absolutely destroys me

I have hit the lane line so many times in backstroke because I am so worried about blasting someone coming the other way. I wish I could say I have never made contact with people in the other lane. It has happened. My wonderfully awful flipish turns have been the cause of some of the issues. I keep practicing them
    mbrekk44M_WareAaron WebsteyTad_M

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch