frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Is Vanessa Fernandes back (aka how big of a rock am I living under)??

Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Is this for f'ing real??? I WILL CRAP MY PANTS
#KOAT
Granpa Chook

Comments

• Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    who?
    Aaron WebsteyMartin
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Dark_mark said:

who?

Don't you even joke about my precious Vanessa!
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    Literally who tho
    Aaron WebsteyrangamelHensatcdhryournotunique
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Who x2?
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited February 2017
  • Options
    Thank you @Matt , I couldn't bring myself to google it for these dinkbags.
    Matt
    #KOAT
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

Thank you @Matt , I couldn't bring myself to google it for these dinkbags.

Wait, so you didn't know either?
    Aaron Websteywchevronyournotunique
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Remember back when TRS was embracing the "blow in" label? This is an example.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
  • Options
    Thank you for your typical class and knowledge, @EmilyCocks .

Seriously, for you blow-ins, she was the mid-2000s Gwen. Except that she had Emma Snowsill (you probably only heard of her after she got knocked up by your favourite male triathlete) to challenge her. Oh and as Emily probably knows, 'Gwen 1.0' was a Canadian woman who got (unintentionally) screwed out of a world championship when the women got directed into the chute one lap too soon. Bonus points to anyone under 35 who can name that athlete!
    idking90Granpa Chook
    #KOAT
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Michael Jordan?
    Aaron WebsteyGasBombA_drizzleRobert Rankin
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Aaron Webb?
    Aaron WebsteyGasBomb
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited February 2017
    Carol Montgomery.
    Wait. I'm over 35.
    MattAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Edited @Martin 's post to show off a forum feature you may not have known about :)
    Matt
    #KOAT
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited February 2017

Edited @Martin 's post to show off a forum feature you may not have known about :)

But was I right? She was the first uber runner in women's tri that I can recall.
  • Options
    Oh THAT Vanessa Fernandes. Big fan. Known about her for years.
    idking90Aaron Websteyellsworth53tyournotunique
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    @AaronWebstey I know that triathlete...met her in Victoria when I went up to do some training with Patrick.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    @AaronWebstey I knew about Montgomery, she was supposed to race the 10,000m as well but crashed out in the triathlon earlier in the games. Didn't know that's how she got screwed out of World Champs though.
    Even though Montgomery DNFed, it's probably also worth noting that the 2000 Olympic gold medalist later tested positive for EPO but didn't have her medal stripped.
    I'm well under 35 so I win! Admittedly I didn't even start triathlon until 2007, but I've got a decent appreciation for the sport's history. Plus Barrie Shepley CONSTANTLY compares Gwen during the broadcasts to Fernandes, Montgomery, 2010-11 Paula Findlay, and other seemingly unbeatable women of the past.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @Martin correct! And @idking90 is the sub-35 winner. Carol is one of my early triathlon heroes. Super west coast hippy, won duathlon worlds in 93 and never raced another duathlon, and just used to destroy everybody on the run. It really did look Gwen-esque.

After that worlds fuckup (an official sent the leader down the finish chute a lap early in a 4-lap run, so they made a quick call and sent everybody in a lap early - thus stranding Carol in 2nd), we as fans were ENRAGED! We were sure she'd be spitting vitriol at the officials (not knowing what kind of person she was since social media wasn't a thing yet). But in the interviews after, she said something to the effect of "ah well, who knows if I would have caught her for sure (she would have), everyone still had to run the same course, and 2nd is still pretty great!".

I should probably make a new reaction button for posts like this - it could be Grandpa Simpson's face or perhaps just the text TL;DR
    idking90Granpa ChookM_Ware
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Classic Canadian moment... pivot to talking about Carol Montgomery.
    Aaron Websteyidking90
  • Options

Classic Canadian moment... pivot to talking about Carol Montgomery.

Who wants to relive some classic Puntous twins moments ... ehhhh?
    MartinGranpa ChookMatt
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Please spare us! :)

For all you blow-ins...triathlonlive.tv has a great archive of world championships from 1989-2008.

Fernandes would have really benefited from the WTS series model back in the day, instead of the one-day championship. She was very consistent. Hopefully she is back to stay, I think she has tried to make a comeback before.
    MattAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Yeah, she's definitely more of a Gomez than a Brownlee. God, watching her run though ... beautiful.
    Granpa Chook
    #KOAT
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    well, we know who she is now. is she racing or what? you crap your pants?

*blow-in: I'm into triathlon because of the great recession and my history doesn't go back any further. Pre-2008 I was making stacks, slingin' mortgages and doing booger sugar with Lehman Bro's.
    Aaron WebsteyGranpa ChookTad_MCraig_DyournotuniqueKenElPescadoPeladoGasBomb

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch