frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

ITU and Ironman agree to Historic Partnership

Comments

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    The idea of having a single set of rules is what excited me most.
    GasBomb

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member

The idea of having a single set of rules is what excited me most.

The idea of LC standardizing at IM distance excites me the least.
    Aaron WebsteyDHansenTri
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Olympic Ironman distance - crazy talk or maybe?
    Martinidking90A_drizzle
    #KOAT
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Since ITU follows UCI rules does this mean the frames too?
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    Matt said:

ITU allows some of the non UCI legal frames (Ventum, etc.)...bike company just has to submit to get it approved for non draft racing.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Matt said:

ITU rule 5.2 states that UCI rules apply "in general": UCI road race rules for draft-legal and UCI time trial rules for draft-illegal. However, 5.2.b gives some more more clarifications about bike characteristics that pretty much every TT bike fits.
    Aaron Webstey

• Options
    AJ BauccoAJ Baucco Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, Pro Triathlete
    edited February 2017

Matt said:

ITU allows some of the non UCI legal frames (Ventum, etc.)...bike company just has to submit to get it approved for non draft racing.
    The Ventum is actually legal in ITU racing (non draft of course). It is one of the few oddly shaped frames that is actually legal... for example/ Diamond, Falco, etc are not legal. Not sure about the new cervelo.
    Pro Triathlete, Coach, and Inaugural Kona Beer Mile Champion
  • Options
    ITU rule 5.2.d.i: "Bikes built around a diamond shape (no saddle down tube) or with a rear triangle which does not connect at the top of the down tube/top tube section are considered acceptable."

Also, new for 2017 is a process for manufacturers to have "non-traditional or unusual" bikes approved by the ITU (before this year the process was ill-defined). The manufacturer needs to submit a description and pics and provide proof that that the bike fulfills the criteria for bike safety standards (ISO 4210:2015).

Aaron Webstey

• Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Does this mean everyone can now run disc brakes or nobody can run disc brakes?
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Does this mean everyone can now run disc brakes or nobody can run disc brakes?

Thank you! Ditto
    #KOAT
  • Options
    You're good @AaronWebstey, new for 2017 is rule 5.2.i.i:

Disc brakes are allowed in the following ITU Events:

-All draft-illegal triathlon and duathlon competitions;
    -Cross Triathlon and Cross Duathlon;
    -Winter Triathlon.
    Aaron Webstey

• Options

3 BPFs from @Martin @Adrienne and @idking90 - do you know something I don't, or think it shouldn't be an Olympic event, or it's just a ridiculous idea that will never happen ... ?
    #KOAT
  • Options
    MamaCheetahMamaCheetah Member, POTM
    Where can I read this in French ?
    MartinAaron Webstey
  • Options

3 BPFs from @Martin @Adrienne and @idking90 - do you know something I don't, or think it shouldn't be an Olympic event, or it's just a ridiculous idea that will never happen ... ?
    Is there anything more boring than watching an Ironman? And the way the IOC works, you would need to bump another event somewhere. If we're getting another tri event, I want a team super sprint or something. Also, long course sucks.
    MattAaron WebsteyMamaCheetah
  • Options

All of the above.
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    I think it's more likely the Olympic race becomes a sprint.
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado

• Options
    Good points. Thanks!
    #KOAT
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    Matt said:

Which one of you went to Disney on vacation?

Fake. Triathletes can't do pushups.
    balsdorfTad_MMamaCheetahKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    tcraigtritcraigtri Member
    edited February 2017
    Martin said:

Fake. Triathletes can't do pushups.

#Alternativefacts
    Tad_MMamaCheetahrangamelKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options

I think it's more likely the Olympic race becomes a sprint.

My understanding is that the smart money is that for Tokyo the individual Olympic event becomes a sprint distance and then having a team sprint.

I think the team sprint would be amazing (its probably the best to watch of all the ITU racing if you aren't a fan of triathlon specifically) but I don't like the shortening of the individual event. I don't think the "entertainment value" of a sprint is much better than an Olympic distance and it lacks some of the grit. The argument that long races aren't entertaining just simply isn't consistent when watching the marathon swim (10k of indistinguishable heads and arms) or the 5 plus hours of the road race where everything meaningful happens in the last 2 minutes aren't under pressure to become "more exciting".
    simonsen77Aaron WebsteyJames Lange

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch