frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Garmin 920 help!

idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
So my Garmin 920 mysteriously went from about 50% battery to dying yesterday afternoon while I was riding (but I wasn't recording on it, just had it on)
I tried charging both from the wall and plugging into the computer overnight, and neither seems to work. If I try to reset by pressing mode/enter, then power, it'll flash once or twice with a faint outline of some numbers like the picture below. Anybody have any ideas before I try calling Garmin first thing tomorrow morning?

Comments

• Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Learn to use the pool pace clock cause it's gonna be a few weeks before garmin gets a replacement to you?
    MattAaron Webstey
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    You may have already done this...but is your software on the watch up to date?

That's one small step for man! One giant... I have a dream!

• Options

Learn to use the pool pace clock cause it's gonna be a few weeks before garmin gets a replacement to you?

HA. I *hate* wearing it to swim, actually. I really only wear it when I'm swimming solo and I'm on call for work, so it's easier to just stop when my wrist buzzes rather then checking the phone after every single repeat. I'll never wear it with a group, which is abour 70-80% of my swimming these days.
    I have more qualms about it for running than anything, though. Today's solution was running with my Edge 500 taped to my wrist. I also really like the activity tracker feature on the 920 and tying it in for food logging, because I'll have days where I'm super active outside of workouts compared to other days where I'm sedentary as hell outside of workouts, so it's nice to be able to more accurately adjust intake.

M_Ware
  • Options
    A_Monroe said:

You may have already done this...but is your software on the watch up to date?

Pretty sure yes, but at this point, I can't do anything with it using the computer to update software anyway. Oh well.

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    idking90 said:

Today's solution was running with my Edge 500 taped to my wrist.

I <3 this.

KenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Definitely try a full hard reset. Sometimes will save things.
    http://www.gpsnation.com/support/gps-factory-reset/garmin-forerunner-920xt-factory-reset.html

• Options
    @idking90 I want pics of this Garnin 500 in your arm.

Also, you know you can just hold it in your hand, right. I have done this for bricks.
  • Options
    It was on my Instagram story yesterday! @simonsen77 even messaged me about it!
    I have some track work tomorrow, so I will probably just hold it. But yesterday was a long run so I didn't really need to be able to read it too often and it was nice to not have to consciously clench my hand. Sending it back to KS today. Just hope something makes it back before a local cross country race this weekend. I have to take the Strava segment for that course somehow! (And no, I won't run with my phone)
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    You have a chance to call Garmin? Curious what they recommended to get it back on track?
    Aaron Webstey

That's one small step for man! One giant... I have a dream!

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Small pocket in your running shorts should be enough to hold the 500 if you're crafty. Nature's pocket if you really must have it, though I can't guarantee gps signal...
    MattKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MAaron Websteykjrunnin
  • Options
    @A_Monroe they had me send it back in, so I'm out with it for some period of time. I'll deal with running with the Edge for the time being most likely. What I noticed the other day, perhaps this was a fluke, but the GPS on the Edge is definitely wackier, came out at 8.3 mi on a trail run that I know to be 9-9.4ish. It is older tech with an older GPS chip, and no GLONASS, so I guess that's logical.
  • Options
    Did you do the advance exchange where they charge your card and ship you a new one right away and then refund it once they get yours back? I've found that works pretty quickly.

As a side note, why doesn't Garmin support saving all your settings in google connect? I *hate* having to go in and set all my screens, activities, etc up when I get a new watch (I've had to exchanged my 920 twice and perform a hard reset on it a few times).
    KenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @idking90
    1. No phone <3
    2. Try measuring out a course beforehand on your choice of Internet mapping service, and run without a watch. Time yourself on your microwave oven, mp3 player, whatever - just run without knowing your current pace/time. I challenge you to do this until your Garmin comes back. I'll pledge $1 per no-garmin run to a charity of your choice until your Garmin returns.
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Who's with me? This could be fun.
    Tad_MMartin
    #KOAT
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @AaronWebstey It's already back.
    If I had my way, I'd run like that a lot. I actually don't look at my own data afterward too much, but coach loves it. He insists he doesn't need it every single time, but he's also a meteorologist by background, so is allllll about numbers and models trying to predict stuff that's virtually impossible to predict.
    Also, I do often have to run with my phone when I'm on call for work. Out of principle because it's only about one week a month, I refuse to buy an arm band or something like that. Instead I just pretend it's a baton and I'm not the USA 4x100 team
    Tad_MKenElPescadoPeladoAaron Webstey
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    My favourite site to trace routes is https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and for years would use this along with the stove clock and/or a shitty Timex.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM

Who's with me? This could be fun.

Is this the February team challenge?
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyCraig_DEvan
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    balsdorf said:

As a side note, why doesn't Garmin support saving all your settings in google connect? I *hate* having to go in and set all my screens, activities, etc up when I get a new watch (I've had to exchanged my 920 twice and perform a hard reset on it a few times).

Polar Flow does exactly this. I had a garmin and it failed during IMC. Last garmin I'll ever buy. Recently had my V800 replaced under warranty. Connected to Flow and it reloaded my profile in 5 minutes. Easy peasy.

balsdorfAaron Webstey
    Canadian Division

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch