frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

What's pretty common where you're from, but completely unknown to people not from there?

doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
I'll start, in Cape Breton we have this thing called Meat Darts. You play darts and can win meat instead of money. Best played down at the legion. It can be confusing when come-from-awayers see a sign that says, "meat darts tonight". Do you throw darts made of meat? Do you throw darts at meat? Did they forget a comma and are trying to say there are meat and darts tonight? Meat darts is a great time, you can't beat meat darts
MattAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombKuchMamaCheetahellsworth53tHSeeley14Craig_DTad_MHensatcslickfins_RyanPreachSwanson

Comments

• Options
    Beastiality is rampant in Texas.
    idking90MattyournotuniqueGasBombMartinGrantInSLCdhrHSeeley14Craig_DTad_MNotSoFatLewHensatcslickfins_Ryan

Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man

• Options

Beastiality is rampant in Texas.

I think that's already well known.
    Aaron Websteyidking90MattMartindhrHSeeley14Hensatc
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Smoked. Meat. Poutine.
    Constant jaywalking.
    Construction, potholes and cops in costume.
    Switching between French and English multiple times during a single conversation.
    Rioting:
    After Metallica concerts.
    After the local hockey team wins (the Stanley Cup and/or game 7 in the 1st round of the playoffs)
    After the government tried to increase university tuition (by like $100-200 a year)
    kjrunninGasBombAaron WebsteyKuchHSeeley14Tad_M
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Speaking of 'down at the legion', where I'm from it's pronounced "downt the legion".

Also a friend convinced me to try meat darts in college once. His kind was also played downt the legion, but we had to go out behind the dumpster. Rules are rules I guess
    ItsShugkjrunninKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombMamaCheetahGrantInSLCellsworth53tHSeeley14Tad_MHensatc
    #KOAT
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    Are beer darts a thing other places? Sit in a big circle in lawn chairs.. everyone has a beer sitting in front of them. Throw metal darts at the beer cans and have to chug until the beer is below the hole.. once the beer is low enough it tips over from getting hit by the dart and you have to finish it and start again..I have seen many darts get stuck in legs haha
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombRobert RankinTad_MHensatcBrew_Tri
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    edited November 2016
    Where I grew up: jughandles.
    Where I live now: knowing there's a very good chance that one or more of your friends has killed somebody (because like 99% of males 18-35 here are in the military. Yes, I am too, but I barely even use a pen, let alone a gun)
    Aaron WebsteyyournotuniqueKenElPescadoPeladoM_WareGasBombHSeeley14Tad_MHensatc
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited November 2016
    We played a lot of corn hole.
    As well as a game where you throw bags.
    MattAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladombrekk44GasBombKuchHSeeley14Tad_Mespej09Hensatcslickfins_Ryan
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Matt said:

Smoked. Meat. Poutine.
    Constant jaywalking.
    Construction, potholes and cops in costume.
    Switching between French and English multiple times during a single conversation.
    Rioting:
    After Metallica concerts.
    After the local hockey team wins (the Stanley Cup and/or game 7 in the 1st round of the playoffs)
    After the government tried to increase university tuition (by like $100-200 a year)

Ah la belle province! Let's not forget chicken joints on every other corner and apparently this province missed the memo that smoking kills.

MattKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombAaron WebsteyHSeeley14Tad_M

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    But, we have beer and wine available at every corner store (Dépanneur)
    kjrunninAaron WebsteyHSeeley14
  • Options
    Elaine KElaine K Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    ItsShug said:

We played a lot of corn hole.
    As well as a game where you the bags.

In college, I hadn't heard of this game. Some frat boy asked me if I wanted to play cornhole and I nearly punched him in the face. Who named it that??

KenElPescadoPeladoGasBombAaron WebsteyTriHollywoodHSeeley14Tad_MHensatc
    Tucson, AZ
  • Options
    mbrekk44 said:

Are beer darts a thing other places? Sit in a big circle in lawn chairs.. everyone has a beer sitting in front of them. Throw metal darts at the beer cans and have to chug until the beer is below the hole.. once the beer is low enough it tips over from getting hit by the dart and you have to finish it and start again..I have seen many darts get stuck in legs haha

Used to play this back in High School and College. Had a buddy get stuck by a dart on hand and had to take him to the hospital. You can imagine how poor of a throw it was for him to get hit in the hand.
    KenElPescadoPeladombrekk44GasBombTad_M
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Where I grew up: Samsies! But for a very different set of reasons #NorthPhilly
    idking90 said:

Where I live now: knowing there's a very good chance that one or more of your friends has killed somebody

Also, I regularly get into actual arguments with people that it's not called cornhole. It's called baggo.
    And, stuff in Philly that nobody else knows but is normal? The Mummers.

idking90
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    It is completely normal to drive a tractor to school around here. Except during harvest because then you wouldn't be at school anyway. Also acceptable absences: 4H state fair, opening days for different hunting seasons, and church stuff.
    Aaron WebsteykjrunninMamaCheetahmbrekk44Tad_Mslickfins_Ryan

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Every time I think there is something special about where I live some asshole from wherever always pipes up and says "we do that all the time here." The only thing I can think of being unique is having to quiz my kids on bear and cougar safety before they go outside to play.
    Aaron WebsteyyournotuniqueMamaCheetahHSeeley14Hensatc

• Options
    GasBomb said:

It is completely normal to drive a tractor to school around here. Except during harvest because then you wouldn't be at school anyway. Also acceptable absences: 4H state fair, opening days for different hunting seasons, and church stuff.

We used to have a "smelt day" at my high school. Basically when the smelts were running in the big river we'd all take the day off school and go jiggin smelts. Some people would take them home to fry up, salt or smoke, but they were mostly just good fish for huckin at cars from ditches.

One year someone spread the rumour that the smelt were in the river and the next day everyone took off school. There were no smelts in the river. Calamity.

Aaron WebsteyTriHollywoodyournotuniqueGasBombHSeeley14Tad_M
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @yournotunique the Mummers are in Newfoundland, too! Slightly different, but same roots.

Oh now I see what assholes @James Lange was talking about
    KenElPescadoPeladoJames LangeHSeeley14Tad_MHensatc
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KuchKuch Member, POTM
    Old Bay on EVERYTHING
    and
    Duckpin Bowling
    That's all I got right now......
    Tad_Mespej09
    BSquad
    Mid-Atlantic Captain
  • Options
    He's not joking, Cape Breton is really like that
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member

The only thing I can think of being unique is having to quiz my kids on bear and cougar safety before they go outside to play.

Had I been briefed on the dangers of cougars, I might not be married right now.
    James LangekjrunninTriHollywoodM_WareyournotuniqueAaron WebsteyMamaCheetahGrantInSLCmbrekk44idking90simonsen77HSeeley14Tad_MHensatc
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Kuch said:

Old Bay on EVERYTHING
    and
    Duckpin Bowling

what advantage does duckpin bowling have over any other type of bowling? It seems like a subset of bowling that just isn't needed.

• Options
    Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll, the most delicious salted meat to pair with your eggs and cheese on a nice soft roll or bagel. Best served with salt, pepper, and ketchup.
    M_WareyournotuniqueAaron Websteyidking90

• Options
    KuchKuch Member, POTM

Kuch said:

Old Bay on EVERYTHING
    and
    Duckpin Bowling

what advantage does duckpin bowling have over any other type of bowling? It seems like a subset of bowling that just isn't needed.

It's attractive to those who prefer playing with small balls, so I would assume it is popular with the same people who are attracted to dopers.

Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
    BSquad
    Mid-Atlantic Captain
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited November 2016
    Besides people thinking that driving around on country roads shooting deer from their vehicles = hunting?

This--
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chislic
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Steve HalewskiSteve Halewski Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited November 2016
    Garbage plates. Basically a pile of meat, macaroni salad, hot sauce, and homefries. Generally consumed at 3:00 am. Excellent at preventing hangovers. @DHansenTri should be familiar.

Also, white hot dogs.
    M_WareAaron WebsteyKuchdoyoueventribroespej09

Steve Halewski
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @AaronWebstey WTF?!? Can you send a link to it? I've never heard of that before.
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    This is all fascinating. I almost forgot about candlepin bowling (a slightly crappier subversion than duckpin, from the looks of it).
    Martin
    #KOAT
  • Options
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member

This is all fascinating. I almost forgot about candlepin bowling (a slightly crappier subversion than duckpin, from the looks of it).

Ugh, when I lived in Mass. and my sisters came to visit, we drove all over hell's half-acre looking for normal bowling, to no avail. We refused to play that candlepin bullshit.
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Like vegemite, scotch, and my sense of humour, it's an acquired taste. Many never learn to appreciate such things. :)
    #KOAT
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Coyote hunting with greyhounds is pretty big around here.

Mudruns. Large pit of mud and people bring out whatever vehicles and see who can make it through.

Tractor pulls

Various competitive shooting clubs

Also

We call it "Pop" here not "soda"
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareHSeeley14
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch