frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Cervelo P5X

petepete Member
The official announcement isn't until tomorrow, but some photos have leaked. Diamondback Andean on the bottom, Dimond on the top.

Comments

• Options
    dhrdhr Member
    I never expected Cervelo to make me want to buy a Quintana Roo.
    ellsworth53tKenElPescadoPeladotwig05
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    I wonder how many people saw that photo and made the smart move of immediately placing a deposit on the Andean instead.
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Looks like a more expensive Falco
    GasBombA_drizzleMatt_Froese
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Bonus: Lots of places to hide a motor.
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoMattsimonsen77Tad_Mjimmymstevenson

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    After assembling Cervelo bikes in a shop I would never consider buying one... I agree that this bike pushes me towards and Andean although I am not considering either of these bikes and would rather ride my QR.
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    I wonder how many on ST who Poo Poo'd the Andean will love this, only because it's from Cervelo.
    Robert RankinEvanGasBombJason LentzkeTad_M
  • Options
    is that guy like 5'8" on a 61cm bike or something?
    petejimmymstevenson

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited October 2016
    Needs these wheels: www.2-spoke.com

@Matt - Is the new BMC out in the wild yet? ETA: Never Mind. Just saw the post in the other thread. Agreed 100%.
    Matt
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited October 2016
    BMC looks a lot like a Speed Concept and Canyon had a baby

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    The BMC seatpost (not sure if they'll have 2) will slot into the seat tube once you remove the draft box, in order to have a UCI-legal position.
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member

where is this bmc?

• Options
    I don't see a place for my wallet.
    balsdorf
  • Options

BMC looks a lot like a Speed Concept and Canyon had a baby

It looks like they sliced the photo across the top bar and shifted the top of the picture forward an inch. Crazy.
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    wchevron said:

I don't see a place for my wallet.

You won't need one after you've paid for it.
    MattMatt_FroeseJames Langebalsdorfjakesaundersneil5youngMartinsimonsen77mbrekk44petewchevronEvanM_WareJason LentzkeTad_MyournotuniqueOverBiker_SamAaron Webstey
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Break it down:
    $2,900 for the wheels
    $1,600 for the etap aero shift
    $600 or so for the brakes
    $750 for the front end
    $150 for tires and tubes
    $500 for crank and chain
    $5000 for the frame and fork and plastic bottles and bentos
    $2000 to $3000 for the Cervelo Tax

I know these are retail prices and not 'manufacturer build kit prices', but holy mother of.... We're looking at probably USD$12.5k+ easy, or 'more than the sum of the prices of every bike and component I have ever purchased since childhood.' I'll be sticking to the sub 70.3 distances for another year or two, but watching for the inevitable deals on 'old school' TT bikes.

ETA: Grumpy old man bit aside, I really hope Heather W wins on it this year.
    balsdorfAaron Webstey
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    In 20 years I still won't be able to afford one of these.
    Tad_M

• Options
    EvanEvan Member
    edited October 2016
    let's talk about the real elephant in the room - the blatant copying of the 2016 TRS Racing Men's kit in the BMC shot...
    M_WareGasBombwchevronTad_MAaron Webstey

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    edited October 2016
    Stan E. doesn't think we're ready to appreciate the P5X's looks.

I wish I could find that picture of him looking like a Spin Doctors reject.

Edit: How about it?
    https://imgur.com/a/Nm7WW
    twig05
  • Options
    New BMC (drive side pic so Matt doesn't smite me):

New Cube?

Better shot of P5X

These are all stolen from TriRig, but right now his site is shitting the bed.

PreachSwansonMattKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Tomorrow may blow up the triathlon interwebs
    GasBomb
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    These pictures make me appreciate my speed concept
    ellsworth53tKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    All HEIL trek!!!
  • Options
    It's going to be an acquired taste, but I do hope the P5X is fast. I like the unconventional thinking, assuming it provides a benefit.

Somebody with more bike knowledge than I have: why would Cervelo and Diamondback spec mechanical disc brakes on these bikes? I would have thought the performance/routing benefits of hydraulic would make sense on a premium cost bike.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Likely because SRAM's Hydro eTap TT brake lever isn't finished.
    pete
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    I will never understand how a motorcycle costs close to the same amount as a pedal powered bike.
    dhrMartinM_WareKenElPescadoPeladoDawnCTad_M
  • Options
    I like the look of the Cube. The BMC, at least in the pictures, is meh. The Cervelo looks like something you would see in a B-rated futuristic action movie.
    I'm sure they all look better in person but I'm not drooling over the pictures.
  • Options
    kraeburnkraeburn Member
    edited October 2016

I will never understand how a motorcycle costs close to the same amount as a pedal powered bike.

Simple: economy of scale and people are willing to pay for it. Honda, Suzuki, et al make millions of motorcycles/scooters (33 million ++ in 2013 according to google-fu). This is a much more niche product (to say the least).

Edit: I am surprised at the fact that they can even make this profitable. They need multiple molds for each size. The superbikes for Specialized and Trek for example share a lot with the mid-tier bikes, saving costs. The only real difference between my Shiv Comp from 2012 and a new S-Works fancy-pants one is carbon layup and components. Is there value in that high-end version, sure, but they can maintain healthy profits in doing so and their molds are long paid off at this point.

I am in manufacturing but not a bike manufacturing expert so take my 2 cents with a grain of salt. I do however have a tooling department of my own and have to make similar decisions on a daily basis.
    MattwchevronM_WareKenElPescadoPeladoMartinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member
    If the Cervelo, BMC, and Cube don't have trash cans, they can all GTFO.
    Matt_FroeseMattKenElPescadoPeladoEvanMartinRobert RankinM_Wareellsworth53tTad_M

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch