frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

IM Boulder 70.3

mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
Strongly considering signing up for this race for August 5th 2017..does anybody else have it on the schedule? will the elevation change coming from Minnesota kill me? I go skiing out west a lot and don't have any problems with it, but that's not trying to race hard at the 70.3 distance

Comments

• Options
    Dark_markDark_mark Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, TRS/Baucco Officers
    @mbrekk44 I am strongly considering it.

Elevation is not that noticeable in Boulder. You might notice it at a sprint or olympic effort, but you don't really go into that oxygen debt at half and full distances.

Meter your effort starting the swim. If you go out hard there you will probably regret it then, but other than that you should be fine.

Or you could just wear a training mask a lot. It won't help you adjust to altitude but it will tell people not to hang out with you.
    mbrekk44GasBombKenElPescadoPeladorunjakerunMartinTad_MAaronWebstey
  • Options
    @Dark_mark do those training masks work good in the pool? Might make it hard to use my snorkel
    GasBombKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MAaronWebstey
  • Options
    I've done the Boulder 70.3 coming in from Ohio and would have to agree that I didn't really notice any sort of Oxygen problems. The bike was really nice and the only thing I would say is that the run was pretty toasty and is not very well protected from the sun if it is a clear day.

All in all though I thought it was a great race definitely recommend it.
    mbrekk44
  • Options
    @mbrekk44 skip Boulder and come do 106 West with me. I had to defer my entry this year because of some inconvenient timing on the arrival of my daughter, so I'll be hitting it up next year. Heading up from Chicago, so in the same boat re: elevation. Should be fun?
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf that race looks awesome! But I signed up for Boulder at noon.. plus, im kinda chasing a slot for worlds in Chattanooga
  • Options
    No worries @mbrekk44. Though there may be better places to "cherry pick" a 70.3 than Boulder. It's one of the most competitive In the country.
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf Haha yeah, I know Boulder will be tough.. I'm doing Wisconsin 70.3 too.. hopefully I can get it done there!
  • Options
    I live in Fargo and did the full in Boulder last August. I went out early and got a few easy workouts in. I noticed it on the swim the most, but nothing to get excited about. Just start a bit slower than normal.

The bike course looks to be fast as hell. There was a lot of ridiculous bike splits last year, I had a buddy that did the 70.3 there this year and was tracking him.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch