frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Weekly Poll - Biker Beware | TRS Triathlon

edited August 2016 in Articles

imageWeekly Poll - Biker Beware | TRS Triathlon

Sad update from Ironman Boulder: cyclist hit by car during this morning's race has died. — KOA NewsRadio (@KOANewsRadio) August 7, 2016 Andrew was struck...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I'm not considering it because of safety. I do it because its a time efficient way for me to train. Living right in the heart of London I simply can't get a get structured session in without spending an hour faffing to get to, and back from, a decent stretch of road to work on.
    GasBombsronk
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I understand completely. I do almost all of my riding on the trainer during the winter months, but man when the weather breaks I am outside loving it! However, I also know i'm not immortal, so that thought of what if? is always in the back of my mind. Tough call on 100% trainer training. I don't think I could or would want to do it.
    M_Warefyrehaarkjrunnin

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    andrewm88 said:

Living right in the heart of London I simply can't get a get structured session in without spending an hour faffing to get to, and back from, a decent stretch of road to work on.

I, too, prefer to faff in my living room.

This news doesn't make me want to ride indoors, mostly because I already do 90% of the time. No coasting, no traffic lights, better workout.
    sronk
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

andrewm88 said:

Living right in the heart of London I simply can't get a get structured session in without spending an hour faffing to get to, and back from, a decent stretch of road to work on.

I, too, prefer to faff in my living room.

This news doesn't make me want to ride indoors, mostly because I already do 90% of the time. No coasting, no traffic lights, better workout.
    This is such a beautifully triathlete-y comment.
    GasBombKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    rigpigrigpig Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I am doing it. Have barely road outside this year, except when I am down in FL. Partly because tired of being pissed off with drivers, part having to deal with weather/change of clothes/enough bottles/tire repair.
    GasBombTad_M

Kevin Brydges
    You're the rig guy? You don't look like you worked on rigs....
  • Options

This is such a beautifully triathlete-y comment.

It doesn't help that the heat indices down here in Houston have been 110-120 daily for the past 2 weeks. Walk outside and it's game over. Just scrap it and ride on the trainer.
    MattGasBombAaron Webstey
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Matt said:

+1 for indices (and not indexes)

Both are acceptable!
    MattDawnCJames LangeKenElPescadoPeladoKHilgendorf
    #KOAT
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I find that I am fueled by rage when the occasional shitty driver swerves into the bike lane, and I wouldn't get that on the trainer. Had an opportunity to catch up to one at a red light yesterday, pound on his window and yell something mostly unintelligible that included "bike lane" and "fuckwad". He moved over one lane after that (but probably resumed playing Pokemon).
    M_WareGasBombOverBiker_SamTad_M
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Well, as someone who skydives (with about 1400 jumps over a bit over 10 years) and rides bikes on roads (having done this much of my life, probably 35 years) both of these activities are inherently risky and both have risks that can be mitigated to make them safe enough to where one can do them comfortably.

Albeit I've probably been scared more times on my bike than in the sky...
    GasBombKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I ride a cross bike on dirt farm roads because I enjoy riding a bike, and I'm assuming I will dislike being dead. I ride my TT bike on the trainer because my Doctor told me to cut back on faffing.
    It's very simple.
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    This is the first time I'm coming across the term "faffing." Faffing?

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @slickfins_Ryan , you have to ask @andrewm88 . I only said it cause he said it and I liked it and thought it was a cool word. Haven't bothered to look it up. I'm always happy to use words that I don't know the meaning to (absolutely in non-compliance with my Mother's advice from when I was little)
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Faff (or more commonly "faffing about") is a British term for just wasting time on nonsense (spending time on Internet forums would be an excellent example). I used it with a nod to "fapping," a term made popular with the huge celebrity iPhoto leak a couple years back.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/faff
    Tad_MGasBomb
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    If you think "fapping" was popular due to that incident, then you've got another thing coming, my friend.
    MartinAaron Webstey
  • Options
    Ha, 'another thing coming'

get it

you're welcome
    MattTad_M
    #KOAT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch