frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Help! My bike got stolen! (Again)

idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
edited November 2016 in Main
My Specialized Venge, size XL in matte black got stolen last night from my house near the Virginia Beach, VA oceanfront. Given that there aren't a whole lot of size XL Venges period, I'm hopeful to recover it. It had mostly Shimano 105 components, a Quarq powermeter on it, 35mm deep Roval wheels, and a somewhat goofy DIY setup for ITU-style aerobars. Ignore the green tape on the seatpost, but it did also have a small Coast Guard emblem on the right side of the headtube not seen here (but I imagine a thief with even 3% of a functional brain would at least remove that)
Aaron WebsteyGranpa ChookGasBombwchevronTad_Myournotuniquembrekk44kjrunninrigpigBrent_REvan

Comments

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Oh no! Good luck with the recovery. I wish this guy had been around...http://www.startribune.com/police-rancher-lassos-bike-thief-outside-oregon-walmart/382544311/
    idking90Aaron WebsteyGranpa Chookwchevron
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    I hope you get it back, that's a nice looking bike.
    idking90
  • Options
    @Granpa Chook @M Ware thanks for the best wishes. On one hand, I'm thinking no way in hell is it ever coming back, but fortunately I think renters' insurance will come through. On the other hand, there can't be too many size XL Venges out there period, let alone in my area (where I'm fairly certain there aren't any) So it *should* stick out
    M_WareGranpa Chook
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I feel awful for you @idking90 . Good luck. I had a beautiful custom Ducati stolen. Started my emotional detachment from motorcycling and led me to discover triathlon. Find your silver lining in this cloud!!! First way to look at it is that it's a chance to improve the swim and run until you get your bike back or replace it. Glad you had renter's insurance. Valuable lesson for all renters.

(PS Don't switch away from Triathlon, that's not the moral of the story)
    Aaron Websteykjrunninidking90
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Ass cancer for all bike thieves. Or whatever death is more painful than that. Wish I could curb-stomp them all. Hope the insurance does take care of you, Ian.
    mbrekk44idking90
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    @idking90 sucks man.

My only advice is to be constantly scanning craiglists around your area, eBay, and any pawn shops near you.

A guy I work with had his bike stolen and found it at a pawn shop a year later and was able to prove it was his because he engraved his initials and year of birth near the BB. He also had pics on his phone of it too with the engraving so that helped.

• Options
    MOPerMOPer Member
    or always keep your purchase receipt and documentation with serial number
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    mother fucker
    idking90
  • Options
    @Tad_Machrowicz provided that insurance comes through, it's really not a big deal in the long run, and my stress level is far lower than I expected. Within only an hour or two, I was able to get a hold of another tall friend who hasn't touched his S2 with Di2 on it since his daughter was born, so I've got that to borrow at least for Armed Forces Triathlon Championships next weekend.
    After that, I don't *need* a road bike per se, as I'm done doing any ITU racing for the year, just racing XTERRA and one of the remaining Rev3 events. So I've got time to make sure I get everything sorted with insurance, and inventory is in place (always a concern with my size of bike. I know this was the last one of the 105 Venge in the US at the time I got it)
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
  • Options
    I'll also say that I am very thankful for the emotional support of @BW_Tri
    M_WareKenElPescadoPeladoMartinBW_TriAaron WebsteyTad_Mkjrunnin
  • Options
    Did they break into your house to steal it? Or was it locked outside?
  • Options
    This is why you get good renters' insurance. I'm just bummed I didn't finish building it until after the road racing season is over.

KenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyM_Waresimonsen77Tad_MyournotuniqueEvan
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Time to change this thread to 'yay! My bike got stolen!'
    idking90Tad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    @Aaron Webstey pretty much. I have no idea how much my premiums have changed on renters' insurance over the years, but if I multiply my current one by 8 to go back to when I was 18 and first took out a policy while in school, it ends up less than half what the bike is worth. So I win.
    Aaron WebsteyM_Waresimonsen77KenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
  • Options
    Sucks that it happened, but glad that hopefully insurance will set you up. Curious - did you have to add it as a separate item or is it covered by the overall policy?

Keep a look out on Craigslist & post to local bike forums!
  • Options

Sucks that it happened, but glad that hopefully insurance will set you up. Curious - did you have to add it as a separate item or is it covered by the overall policy?

Keep a look out on Craigslist & post to local bike forums!

I did post it all over Facebook, local cycling listserv, etc. I figured there couldn't be that many size XL Venges period, and that somebody would see it looked "out of place" somehow. I searched Craigslist and eBay a bit too, but once insurance paid out, I didn't actively look.
    As for my insurance, I've got USAA personal property insurance for a lot more than the value of the bike, but I didn't have it specifically listed. I've never had any other insurance, and most people I know in my local area have them as well, so not much comparison to be had, and then of course insurance varies by state anyway.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    USAA hooks it up. This is why we CAN have nice things.
    idking90
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    idking90 said:

... local cycling listserv, etc. ...

New favourite
    #KOAT
  • Options
    It happened again :cry: this time with my mountain bike. I actually just parked and ran inside a convenience store to grab snacks and money from the ATM for a cross race that day, and it was gone! So if anybody sees an older S works Epic 29er with a Colorado flag SRM crank, that's it.

It should be noted that this bike once belonged to the great Conrad Stoltz. And now some jerk in Virginia Beach has it :bawling: :heartbreak:
    Mark_after_DarkAaron WebsteyMattDawnCmbrekk44Granpa Chook
  • Options
    so sorry @idking90 . hang in there man.
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Oh Ian, not again. You really are a candidate for something like this. Those VAB fuckwit bike theives need an ass kicking and to be taught a lesson.
    via @youtube
    idking90Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    If I get you as Secret Santa, I'm buying you a bike lock.
    ItsShugkjrunninTad_MAaron WebsteyMattM_WareEvanidking90DawnCmaggieruyournotunique
  • Options
    wchevron said:

If I get you as Secret Santa, I'm buying you a bike lock.

I actually had a small cable on it this time! I love the rack I have, but that is the one major downside is poor ability to lock to it. So they must have cut it; it was gone. Busy parking lot for sure, but...meh people suck and don't intervene.
  • Options
    This f'ing blows. Sorry, buddy.
    Tad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options
    Shitbags. Sorry man. Hope insurance has you covered again.
    Tad_Midking90
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    This is totally shitty. Idk what I would do if this happened.

Zach Boring, Overly Average Looking Man

• Options
    You got Conrad's former bike!? Damn that really really sucks then.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options

You got Conrad's former bike!? Damn that really really sucks then.

At least they didn't steal the stick that Conrad killed the baboon with did they?

Sworry @idking90 , I know, too soon.
    idking90M_WareAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @Granpa Chook and I only even learned that very recently! Never even got to race on it with that knowledge, as I found out after racing in Maui! I would have descended SO MUCH better if I had known he had once ridden it!
    M_WareAaron Webstey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch