frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Weekly Poll - Socks To Be You | TRS Triathlon

edited August 2016 in Articles

imageWeekly Poll - Socks To Be You | TRS Triathlon

I type this weeks missive while nursing freshly mangled feet.  So keep in mind that usually I am a proponent for going barefoot whenever...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I really don't want to stop and put on socks. Am I just being a whiner?

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited August 2016
    Run faster.
    Socks for 70.3 and up.
    Body glide your heels and in between your toes.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Agreed. Anything short of a 13.1, no socks. Buy better running shoes.

Or practice your hot coal walking more often. I heard if you carry a boulder while walking on hot coals you can get faster as well.
    GasBomb
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    How about, "I could put on socks and still have time to make dough and bake a fresh pizza in 2:33"?
    GasBombKenElPescadoPeladoidking90ellsworth53tTad_M
    #KOAT
  • Options

How about, "I could put on socks and still have time to make dough and bake a fresh pizza in 2:33"?

Your new position is causing you to lose touch with the little people. Sad.

M_WareAaron Webstey

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Matt said:

Run faster.
    Socks for 70.3 and up.
    Body glide your heels and in between your toes.

Run Faster. Hmm didn't think of that. Gee thanks @Matt that solves everything. How about I just not be so fat while i'm at it?

MattMartinbalsdorfAaron WebsteyTad_M

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited August 2016
    Does discomfort in your feet prior to crossing the finish line cause you to lose even 0.001% of your focus during the race? If so, it's time to spend 10 seconds putting on socks. Because, math. Also, no hindrance to resuming training that will propel you to go 2:32:59 next time.
    GasBombbalsdorfM_Wareellsworth53tAaron WebsteyTad_M
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    @KenElPescadoPelado You know the only thing going through my mind while running was ouch, ouch, ouch. So, using my high level math skills, I should have went sub 2 hours without the foot pain distracting me. Thanks buddy.
    KenElPescadoPeladoM_Wareellsworth53tAaron WebsteyTad_M

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    @GasBomb - Was this the Tri Indy?

It was my first Olympic distance event and the combo of canal water + threat of broken glass on the bottom was great motivation to complete the swim with a PR. Though all the energy exerted upfront did me in on the run.
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    Not sure where you are getting them, but I have a spot on the top of my foot that gets rubbed up so I put a little Aquaphor on that part of the shoe before the race. Vaseline would work as well or, as @Matt suggested - body glide.
    GasBombfyrehaar
  • Options

@GasBomb - Was this the Tri Indy?

It was my first Olympic distance event and the combo of canal water + threat of broken glass on the bottom was great motivation to complete the swim with a PR. Though all the energy exerted upfront did me in on the run.

Yes it was. Fun little race. I also fell apart on the run, but mostly from overbiking and being fat.

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited August 2016
    GasBomb said:

Your new position is causing you to lose touch with the little people. Sad.

Nah, it's his new "girth" that's causing him to lose touch with the little people. And his toes.

Have I been banned yet?

To the point: run more sockless. Beat the piss out of your feet in the off-season when it doesn't matter, so when the season starts in full, your feet are already prepped to race. .
    MattAaron WebsteyfyrehaarTad_M
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Baby powder in the run shoes, and to a lesser extent bike shoes, is a godsend. Feet may still get a little ripped up, but it's noticeably different for me.
    That said, before I raced a half last year, I had a panic attack about 2 weeks out because I realized that in ~80-90 triathlons, I had only ever worn socks once before and I wasn't trying to go very fast back then. I experimented a bit over that two weeks before every run, figuring out which socks worked the best, how to roll them, etc. Got it down to be a <5 second penalty. I still won't wear them in a sprint or Olympic though. That's a pride thing.
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Baby powder in the shoes and on the socks, then just roll the socks on. It takes next to no time.
  • Options
    Pseudomonas lives in shoes. +1 for socks.

I'm so helpful.
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareGasBombsimonsen77Tad_M
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @Adrienne 's posts don't usually make me go to Urban Dictionary to get the gist, but they do send me places like this: http://v2.pseudomonas.com/about.jsp
    ellsworth53tA_drizzleKenElPescadoPelado
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    I don't know how any human being can not wear socks.

Then again, my feet are softer than a baby's bottom. #Socks4Life
    GasBombKenElPescadoPeladoAaron WebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    M Ware said:

@Adrienne 's posts don't usually make me go to Urban Dictionary to get the gist, but they do send me places like this: http://v2.pseudomonas.com/about.jsp

Google Images "pseudomonas infection" is haunting...

M_WareA_drizzleTad_M
  • Options
    Body glide the inside of your shoes - and get better shoes.
    GasBomb
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I did a 30km trail run yesterday with no socks and no problems, despite being very wet. I use petroleum jelly and my iron will to defend against blisters.
    GasBombAaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M

• Options
    I skip the socks on the bike, but put them on before the run. It's way easier to deal with getting socks on sweaty feet than it is on soaking wet ones.
    GasBombsimonsen77Tad_M

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch