frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Duathalon what to expect

LeonLeon Member
Have an ftp of 280 and best 5 k 18:30. For a 5k-20k-5k Duathalon, how should I pace? It's coming up in a few weeks.

Comments

• Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, POTM
    Balls out, balls out, then balls out again..
    ItsShugAVAVAVGasBombJason LentzkeEvan
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    19:20, 275w, 19:00.
    KenElPescadoPeladoJames LangeAaron WebsteypeteGasBombEvanTad_M
  • Options
    LeonLeon Member
    So basically just try to kill it?! I spontaneously registered for this event so haven't trained for this sort of thing at all. Fairly fit on the bike right now and perhaps a little less so running but almost never do both activities on the same day. Anyway if I blow up so be it, it'll be fun regardless !
  • Options
    LeonLeon Member
    Thanks for the advice
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    The key to any race is to overbike your ass off then blow up on the subsequent run.
    DawnCbalsdorfMartinGasBombsimonsen77A_drizzleBrent_REvan
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    I did my first duathlons this year and managed to somehow only have about 20 second difference in run 1 and run 2 (both were shorter sprint duathlons). Being a newb, I decided to take it out around my 10K pace on run 1 but ended up picking up the pace after the first mile to somewhere between 5k and 10k pace. Biked it as I would a sprint Tri (from power/hr perspective), then ran as hard as I could on run 2 based on where my heart rate was at.

Like the triathlon swim - many people will fly out of the starting gate at a pace they will never hold. I even got caught up in it at the first one for a bit, but caught myself before 1/2 mile and slowed it down. Almost all of them came back by the end of run 1 with the final few all coming back on the bike.

My advice - just take the first run out slower than it feels like you should be going. Most people, outside of very experienced duathletes, are going to have substantially slower second runs.

"As hard as you can" or "Balls out" is not a pacing strategy for any race outside of maybe a 40 yard dash.
    Leonbalsdorf
  • Options
    LeonLeon Member
    Yes Rash I think that's sound advice, I really just want to get into multisport events and this will be my introduction. I have no expectations at all. That being said, I don't want to die but don't want to doddle either. I'm thinking 21 minute 5k then hold 280 watts on the bike portion and play the last run by ear. If I feel great I'll push it. If the last 5k ends up taking longer, I'm not going to hate myself for it.
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I think @KHilgendorf has a great answer if you're into specific pacing and power-monitoring. If you can run an 18:30, you're probably at least not terrible at pacing yourself on the run, so I'd say that would be a great starting point.
    LeonGasBomb
    #KOAT
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    Here is a chart from Dr. Skiba posted elsewhere by @Jason Lentzke

My pacing theory would put your ride at around 265 watts average with a ceiling at 294. Slightly more conservative than @KHilgendorf & @Aaron Webstey's recommendations, however they both have much more extensive racing experience along with results to support their opinions. I would just error towards conservative on legs 1 & 2 - especially if you are new to multisport and running off a hard bike. You'll likely make it up on run 2.

No matter what, in my limited duathlon experience, that second run is going to be the worst thing you have ever done.
    Jason LentzkeJames LangeAaron Webstey
  • Options
    With such a short race, I would pace the entire thing by RPE.

Run 1: 8/10
    Bike: 9/10
    Run 2: 10/10

Don't let metrics or numbers hold you back in such a short event. If you blow up, you blow up. But if you don't go for it, you will never break through. Have some fun and let it rip.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @Rash I wouldn't put much stock in a ceiling for the bike. Personally, I'd likely be at 500-600 jumping up to speed at the start and out of corners, and trying to hold a hair under ftp for the overall average. A 30 min ride doesn't need to be steady Ike a half or full ride should be.
    Aaron Websteymbrekk44
  • Options
    LeonLeon Member
    Don't think I know myself well enough to pace by RPE. Especially with something that is totally new to me. anyway a few more questions:
    1.) what to wear?
    2.) what to consume in terms of calories and when (I assume on the bike in the form of liquid)?
    3.) I have 2 weeks to prepare. My cycling is quite a bit stronger at present. I will certainly do a few rides into runs but any tips on how to make the most of this short time period? Not worried about tapering or anything obviously.
  • Options
    @Leon

1. Wear socks and your triathlon kit. You may need your race number/belt on for the first run, but you may not need it until your second run.
    2. My duathlon breakfast: I eat what I eat every other training morning : 3 pieces of GF toast, half banana, jelly and some protein powder sprinkled on top. I have a gel few min before the gun goes off. On the bike I have 1 bottle of sports drink (250cal) and a gel. I usually don't have the gel, but its taped to my bottle. On second run I might grab some water to throw on myself but thats it.
    3. Do a couple high intensity workouts like 15 x 3 min @ race intensity on the bike between now and the race and stay sharp race week by reducing volume but keeping intensity up during a few sessions.

Dont overthink it. I think you know your RPE more than you think
  • Options
    LeonLeon Member
    Thanks Jason, all of those things sound good and I think I will go with RPE and see what happens. As for nutrition /hydration, that all makes sense. I will have to purchase a tri outfit which kills me as I just bought a new bike and am feeling a little tapped out but it is what it is. Super excited for this event and can't wait to learn how to swim properly to do triathlons! This should be a good intro.
    Jason Lentzke
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    @Leon you can always just wear running shorts and a t-shirt. Might want to make sure you even like multisport first. Tri kit/trisuits are nice, but not necessary - especially when there is no swim to worry about.
    Leon
  • Options
    @Leon I didnt realize this was your first event! Thats awesome. Like @Rash said, a tight fitting cycling kit will work just fine. No need to go all in on a tri kit just yet!
    Leon
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    If you are getting into multi-sport then you need to buy the most expensive gear you can find. Whether you need it or not.
    neil5youngM_WareJason LentzkebalsdorfEvanAVAVAV
  • Options
    In response to the simple "what to expect" question... A bit of pain, followed by a bit more pain, followed by pretty much pure agony... on a plus note, IMHO that 2nd 5k isn't as bad as the 5k to about 33k of a marathon so you know, silver lining.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Member
    I don't know, I keep hearing about the pain of the 2nd run and I (probably foolishly) am not convinced it'll be all that bad. That being said I'll probably bonk.
    Now that I've spontaneously registered for a multisport event, it was quite the struggle to get through a pretty routine bike workout on the trainer this morning.
    Could be a demoralizing introduction into the world of multisport.
    I'd better go buy some expensive gear that I don't need.
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member
    i'd conserve on first run and then try and redline for bike and second run... basically, in a duathlon, i want to always make sure both of my runs are negative splits. this seems a little longer than the sprints duathlons i do (2mi/20mi/2mi), but pretty much the same. you know you did a kick-ass race if you can't really see straight by the final K on your second run. amirite?!?!!?
    LeonJason Lentzkembrekk44andrewm88

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch