frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Crime & Punishment | TRS Triathlon

edited July 2016 in Articles

imageCrime & Punishment | TRS Triathlon

Richard Murray threw a tantrum at the finish line of Saturday’s ITU World Triathlon Hamburg. With two kilometers left to run, Murray learned that he...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    If he did not have a Federation person with him or coach then it is HIS responsibility to check the board. If he could not check it on the bike (and like he would stand down there) then he should have looked on the run. I get that he was amped up (did you see him on the start pontoon, he looked like a caged bull with flaring nostrils) but you have keep your cool somewhat. I am sure he learned a big lesson this weekend.
    fyrehaarGasBomb
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    I don't know the course, but considering there are multiple laps on the bike/run, wouldn't it makes sense to have a scoreboard (use the giant screen) with your name/number on the blue carpet transition zone saying if you have a penalty?
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete, POTM
    @Matt that is what the white board is for. It is in transition and you can look at it each lap (obviously bike is tough due to speed). But, everyone seems to take their penalties on the run and not the bike so that doesn't really matter too much.

All athletes know about the board. They go over it in the briefing. This was Murray's responsibility to check. He knew he did not have a coach/federation person there. You have to check.
    fyrehaar
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    I definitely understand that, and am completely agreed that it's Murray's responsibility.

But having a coach/NF member required to inform the athletes, makes it sound like this is a small whiteboard like the Tour de France's chalkboard...

• Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    edited July 2016
    @Matt not that it's required, just easier. I know every time I've ever run past the board in a race, I look at my own arm to double check what number I am. But I run a lot slower and am at the back of races, so that's a little different probably. I've never gotten a penalty, but I've also never relied on anybody else to check the board for me.
    For what it's worth, I was in a house full of triathletes this weekend with all of us having at least done a few continental cups, so familiar with how ITU penalties work. When we watched it, none of us were surprised he got DQed, generally agreed with the decision, particularly with the large, obvious gesture. Lip-reading may have been F bombs or maybe "what's it for?!?!?" But there's no mistaking that while in the finish chute.
    fyrehaar
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    "Murray didn’t even raise his middle finger"

I'm quite certain he raised his middle finger. If you look at the replay around 1:09:45 after he makes the fisting motion, he then flips off the official / the world as he's running toward the finish.

EmilyCocksMattfyrehaarGasBombJames Lange

Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

• Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I think he demonstrated unsportsmanslike conduct. I am curious what the rules say about unsportsmanlike conduct and ramifications. Odd to see an opinion piece argue it wasn't fair and not include the rules he agreed to compete under as an ITU athlete.

Agree with others that say it was a lame excuse that he didn't have federation or private coach to alert him.
    fyrehaar
  • Options
    When I first read the article this morning I was in agreement that the DQ and subsequent huge loss of income seemed a little harsh, but after reading comments below and giving it further thought, I think it's appropriate. I realized the only thing that made me think it was harsh was that he lost out on so much money as a result - but if that loss of income wasn't a factor I would've said it was an appropriate punishment, and that's just wrong in so many ways. That would be favoring one athlete and giving them special treatment just because of his abilities, and that really didn't sit well with me when I realized what I was doing. It's an unfortunate situation and it really sucks for him, but rules and expectations can't be bent just because someone is a contender for one of the top spots.
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Maybe he tried to take a cue from Lionel's playbook, but never read beyond the headline that said "Sanders Loses His Shit; Wins $20k"
    MattCraig_Dsimonsen77jakesaundersJames Langeidking90Tad_M
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    "A disqualification is a penalty appropriate for severe rule violations, such as but not limited to, repeated bike draft infringements, and/or dangerous or unsportsmanlike conduct. "
    http://www.triathlon.org/uploads/docs/itusport_competition-rules_november2015.pdf

I'm not feeling sympathy. The statement that he was being unsportsmanlike to the world and the event in general, and not an official... even less sympathy.

I have a feeling if I didn't like something at my workplace and responded in this manner, I'd be suffering loss of employment, not just income.
    KenElPescadoPeladobalsdorf

• Options
    @kjrunnin Thanks for posting the link to the rules. After seeing that "good sportsmanship" is the first point under athlete conduct (even above personal safety of racer and other competitors) the DQ really isn't surprising.
    M_Ware
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I agree that the punishment fits the crime. I also think that ITU needs to work on how it works with athletes on penalty notification and in race explanation.
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options

I agree that the punishment fits the crime. I also think that ITU needs to work on how it works with athletes on penalty notification and in race explanation.

Seems like a simple solution would be to leave a penalty notice on the athlete's transition stand or have an official notify in T2. Or even at WTS where they have motos, they could notify with chalkboard during bike similar to how TdF motos give time updates. Still need to post on the board so others are aware as it could help with their race strategy but a more personalized notification during race seems like something worth doing for athletes that have so much on the line.
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I recently took the course to become an official so I'm about month removed from reading the rule book cover to cover. When I saw what Murray did I knew right away that he would be disqualified. The rules are very clear. Beyond what @kjrunnin quoted below you have section 2.1 "General conduct" where it lists some of each athlete's responsibilities, including: "Practice good sportsmanship at all times; Know, understand and follow the ITU Competition Rules; Treat other athletes, officials, volunteers, and spectators with respect and courtesy; Avoid the use of abusive language."

Murray clearly didn't live up to his responsibility as an athlete under the ITU rules and a DQ was the only allowable result under the rules. If you have a problem with the DQ you problem isn't with the official it is with the rules.

Coincidentally I had my first of three shadow assignments this weekend at the same time as the Hamburg race (but half- a world away). At this 190 athlete race a guy got disqualified (and banned from participating in any more sanctioned races in 2016) because he deliberately rode past the dismount line into T2 where he got off his bike and then threw it, striking another person's bike. Turns out he was angry because a volunteer gave him wrong or confusing direction on the bike course and he rode an extra few hundred meters (another of the athlete's responsibilities is to know the course). As an official I was very happy to have the ITU rules to back up our decision to DQ him on the spot.
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladofyrehaarTad_M

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch