frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Weekly Poll - Of Coarse Course | TRS Triathlon

edited June 2016 in Articles

imageWeekly Poll - Of Coarse Course | TRS Triathlon

This last weekend brought an end to my finishers streak at almost 2 years.  The last time I was unable to finish the required distance...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I generally pick flatter and faster races (despite being a comparatively good climber on both bike and run) because, ultimately I care more about my finish time than finish position. In my twisted mind 4:50 and 30th in AG sounds better than 5:30 "but it was a really hilly course". Sure there are days for going hardcore but I will always default to flat ish - also its a more consistent comparator of progress.

If I think/know spectators are likely to come watch I will try to go for something with multiple laps just because its better than them... may I suggest that if you dislike swimming, biking and running so much that you don't want to do a second lap, perhaps you've chosen the wrong sport?
    Aaron WebsteyGasBombidking90
  • Options
    I generally pick by the following criteria:
    1. Is it a day that I have free from family & work obligations?
    2. Can I drive, race and return home in 1 day?
    3. Is it a half-distance or longer? I'll do an Olympic distance if the swim is an ocean swim.
    4. What is the potential that I'll be kidnapped by toothless hillbillies that are likely going to keep me chained under the porch floor for their occasional drunken, sadistic entertainment? If its lower than 50%, well then, can also work as a motivator.
    M_WareAaron WebsteyBrent_R
  • Options
    lol "for the love of webstey".
    great thought process. as i am without kids or any sense of maturity, i generally pick my races based on:
    1) proximity
    2) friend presence
    2.5) is it a saturday race?!?! (yuss.)
    3) 4) race distance/placement in season
    69) will i win another pint glass for coming 3/5 in my AG?
    GasBombAaron Websteymbrekk44

"there's ice in my ass crack and it feels amazing" - overheard at IMMT

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    andrewm88 said:

I generally pick flatter and faster races (despite being a comparatively good climber on both bike and run) because, ultimately I care more about my finish time than finish position. In my twisted mind 4:50 and 30th in AG sounds better than 5:30 "but it was a really hilly course". Sure there are days for going hardcore but I will always default to flat ish - also its a more consistent comparator of progress.

If I think/know spectators are likely to come watch I will try to go for something with multiple laps just because its better than them... may I suggest that if you dislike swimming, biking and running so much that you don't want to do a second lap, perhaps you've chosen the wrong sport?

First of all just call me a wuss and get it over with. You wouldn't be wrong. lol

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    Matt said:

My first half was a 6-loop bike and 3-loop run.
    UGH

This is horrible and the RD should have been drawn and quartered for such an abomination. Ugh is right!!!

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options

Is there a higher power in Triathlon? I'm not so sure. All morning devotionals should now be directed towards His Royal Highness, Aaron Webstey, Protector of the Realm, Troubleshooter of Website, BFF of Paulo Sousa, and
    King of all Technology
    M_WareAaron Webstey

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    GasBomb said:

Matt said:

My first half was a 6-loop bike and 3-loop run.
    UGH

This is horrible and the RD should have been drawn and quartered for such an abomination. Ugh is right!!!

Ottawa's The Great Canadian: Try-a-Tri, Super Sprint, Sprint, Olympic, 70.3, and 140.6 (all events had Tri, Du, and Swim/Bike, as well as relay versions).

They stopped the 140.6 a few years ago.

It was UGH, because it was 30C (86F) and extremely humid with no wind.

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I can honestly say that I've never considered any of those 4 things when choosing a race. I only have two considerations: Can I fit it into my schedule? and how much does it cost?
    Matt

• Options
    @Matt The temp and humidity are really what took everybody out in Effingham as well. I was just a little bummed because I had signed up for the race on a friends recommendation and it would have sucked regardless of the weather. The swim was a cluster, the bike was boring and the roads were shit, and the run had no shade and had a large portion on gravel. It was just a major league suckfest.

@James Lange I should have touched on cost more. I definitely take it into consideration. It's why 75% of my races every year are local with less than 150 racers. P.S. You need to come out of writing retirement, I was definitely thinking of your A,B,F article when I decided to FUCK this race. lol It is tied for my favorite TRS article of all time with @Aaron Webstey Night Before Christmas Poem.
    M_WareJames LangeMattAaron WebsteyTad_MPreachSwanson

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Hear hear re: @James Lange writing.
    M_WareGasBomb
    #KOAT
  • Options
    GasBomb said:

andrewm88 said:

First of all just call me a wuss and get it over with. You wouldn't be wrong. lol

As a guy who goes for "flat and fast" because "I want a good time" when lets be honest its "because hills are shit even if you are comparatively good at them" I'm probably not the person to throw that Brick!

Also 6 loop bike? That is inhuman, so 15k loops, one loop every 25 minutes or so... I want to ride my bike off a bridge just thinking about that. I hope you didn't have to pay to enter that? Although that said I may be entering an 8 lap Olympic towards the end of the seasons but that's because its a swim in a rowing lake and pan handle flat (like literally only 15m of election in 40k bike and 10k run) bike and run courses so should no excuses for not going fast!
    GasBombTad_M
  • Options
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @GasBomb The collapse of the oil and gas industry is to blame. My company has laid off 1200 employees so far which has meant a lot more work for those us lucky enough to still have jobs, and also a little extra motivation to work extra hard so that you don't end up on the chopping block the next time HR makes the rounds.

For now I have prioritized actually doing triathlon over writing about it, but I'll be back to doing both as some point.
    GasBombM_WareAaron WebsteyDawnCBrent_R

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Great poll @GasBomb , I pick races that are a cool venue/course. So far that has definitely NOT equated to fast and flat, and that's fine by me. I'm slow as dog crap in January so I have plenty of time to focus on enjoying my surroundings.

The flattest and fastest was Eagleman, (My Dad's home area) unfortunately it was a bit hot a couple years ago.

Regarding the loops, I will ONLY tolerate loops if it is a 2 or 3 x of an otherwise beautiful and well laid out safe course.

Now for my award winning recipe for CAPTAIN MORGAN AVOCADO CARB PRO GLUTEN FILLED CORTICOSTEROID TESTOSTERONE COCONUT COOKIES**....... perfect for us aging triathletes......

* GLUTEN provided for Dark Mark
    **EPO and Meldonium not reported as they are under the FDA established reporting limit.
    GasBomb
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I pick locations on schedule, how far it is and how fat I am. I only get to take 1 or 2 most racing Sunday's so I am also very limited. This year my racing Sunday is the same as last year, Toughman NY but often it is a big deal race for me and the only one I travel for.
    GasBomb
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    GasBomb said:

Is there a higher power in Triathlon? I'm not so sure. All morning devotionals should now be directed towards His Royal Highness, Aaron Webstey, Protector of the Realm, Troubleshooter of Website, BFF of Paulo Sousa, and
    King of all Technology
    I don't know how I missed this comment. Just bringing it to everybody's attention again. I'm a pauper on the field, and The King in your hearts.

I like pretty courses.
    GasBombM_Ware
    #KOAT
  • Options
    I was very disappointed that Paulo didn't try to deny your BFF status.
    M_Ware

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch