frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Roost Approved Donuts - World Famous!

Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
edited June 2017 in Main
New technology is great.  Sometimes.  Our post race discussion at Knoxville discussed the downfall of Krispy Kreme (which I like), and a recent fire which almost destroyed one of the premiere donut shops in Chicago.  Thankfully it was saved!
I happen to think the old fashioned sour cream donut is absolutely the best.  Best for recovery, pre-workout, and suitable for all distances.
Am I wrong?  What is the best donut? And why?

visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
M_Wareiamuwerestephliles

Comments

• Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    I've always been a fan of the sugar coated jelly.  My uncle had a small bakery when I was growing up.  Definitely a quality difference between a bakery/small donut shop vs. a mass produced donut.
    M_WareTad_M
  • Options
    rangamelrangamel Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Doughboy van in Austin has the most incredible donuts I've ever tasted! 
    My teeth still hurt thinking about them.
    M_WareTad_M
    Slightly mental triathlete who is allergic to the sun

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Is Austin worth the trip for donuts? I haven't found a good spot in Houston, but was completely spoiled in LA and my hometown bakery in rural Illinois ( @PreachSwanson hit me up if you're ever in Pontiac, And I'll have my dad show you around the car museum there and be sure he picks up a dozen). 

I'm a bit partial to Boston cream, myself. 
    M_WareTad_M
  • Options
    In Rhode Island, Allie's Donuts is the best.  We are doing some work there now so have been getting some free donuts lately.   They do $2,000,000 a year in donut sales out of their one location.
    M_WareTad_M
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    The local shop here has an item called a cocoon that is something like a chocolate croissant. It is incredibly delicious and flakey and buttery and .....  I've been off white flour and sugar for 6+ weeks. Probably long enough that I would swap the RXC for one.  
    Tad_MGasBomb
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I used to go to chipotle get a burrito,  then go to Krispy Kreme and buy 2 dozen regular.
    The first dozen would be gone before I got to my sisters house.
    M_WarewchevronKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MBHobbs
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I've found that the best doughnut is any doughnut I get to eat. 
    M_Warewchevronsimonsen77DawnCFastCat1107neil5youngkjrunninBrent_RKenElPescadoPeladoBHobbsEvanBooBooaltayloraus

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    Is Austin worth the trip for donuts? I haven't found a good spot in Houston, but was completely spoiled in LA and my hometown bakery in rural Illinois ( @PreachSwanson hit me up if you're ever in Pontiac, And I'll have my dad show you around the car museum there and be sure he picks up a dozen). 

I'm a bit partial to Boston cream, myself. 
    Yes. And it's calls Gordoughs, got the name wrong. 

• Options
    M_WareKHilgendorfKenElPescadoPeladoTad_Mfyrehaar

• Options
    Adam WAdam W Member
    We have a local place called Donut Country, which is by far my favorite donut I have had.  Still has the old donut shop feel with a counter and fantastic coffee. Would make a good mid ride or end of the ride stop, if I didn't live in the south where I'm considered target practice for drivers. I've had Krispy Kremes and several other and these by far are the best I have had.
    M_WareTad_M

• Options
    Local place here is Donut Monster, they do a fresh mint frosting on a donut filled with chocolate pudding. Ridiculously good!
    M_WareTad_M
  • Options
    Place here in Louisville, Nord's Bakery, has a maple bacon donut that is out of this world.  It is literally a donut with maple frosting and a slice of delicious bacon on top.
    M_Wareet5504Tad_M
  • Options
    Brent_RBrent_R Member
    Alas, the simple and under appreciated apple fritter is still my favourite. 
    M_WareAaron WebsteyTad_MBHobbs
  • Options
    et5504et5504 Member
    @KHilgendorf wow, that's just outside of my sales territory (I have everything north of that basically for IL) but think it may be a trip I have to take... We have a doughnut shop called Spunky Dunkers. I mean, how can you go wrong with a shop named Spunky Dunkers? They have an excellent German chocolate donut.... 
    M_WareTad_M
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Shop or type? Shop, I'd say FedNuts here in Philly. Type? Cake batter, no filling, lemon or some other citrus or "bright" fruit glaze. Not like apple; like passion fruit or banana.

Why? Because I fucking said so, that's why.
    M_WareTad_MKenElPescadoPelado
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @et5504 look for Pfaff's bakery downtown. It's a little hole in the wall, been there for decades. Simple, but amazing. 
    M_Wareet5504Tad_M
  • Options
    this is becoming a real resource string. I think we need the team world map to be updated with the locations of the best donut shops!!!!!!
    yournotunique
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
  • Options
    @wchevron last week the nearest Hutterite colony to us had a bake sale. I looked for a jar of pickled gizzards for Secret Santa, but they were all out :(
    Tad_Mwchevronkjrunnin
    Keeper of the Cowbell
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    So this place opened up a mile and a half from my house. German chocolate cake is pretty good. They also have an awesome breakfast sandwich - egg and bacon inside a glazed donut. 
    M_WarewchevronTad_MKenElPescadoPelado
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    M Ware said:
    @wchevron last week the nearest Hutterite colony to us had a bake sale. I looked for a jar of pickled gizzards for Secret Santa, but they were all out :(
        I hope you don't get me next year.
    M_WareTad_MKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @simonsen77 that rocks! Anyone who puts Egg and Bacon inside a glazed donut is an honorary TRS team member!
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    So this place opened up a mile and a half from my house. German chocolate cake is pretty good. They also have an awesome breakfast sandwich - egg and bacon inside a glazed donut. 
    @simonsen77 ;   Does that one in the way back say Bacon Butterscotch? I feel faint. 
    KenElPescadoPelado
    Keeper of the Cowbell
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    M Ware said:
    @simonsen77 ;   Does that one in the way back say Bacon Butterscotch? I feel faint. 
    Yup! They have three kinds of bacon to choose from. They also do Belgian waffles with Nutella, or chocolate, or fruit. 

Basically, it's where diets go to die. 
    M_WareTad_MStruang
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    BHobbsBHobbs Member
    Krispy Kreme followed by Apple fritter. Thread over. 
    M_WareTad_MwchevronMartin
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    the kansas state fair has these double cheese burgers that are served between 2 krispy kremes with fried cheese instead of regular cheese, then they deep fry the whole sandwich. 

its a life changing experience.
    Aaron WebsteyM_WareKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombTad_M
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    ItsShug said:
    the kansas state fair has these double cheese burgers that are served between 2 krispy kremes with fried cheese instead of regular cheese, then they deep fry the whole sandwich. 

its a life changing experience.
    I would imagine a massive coronary would be.
    M_WareCraig_DTad_Mkjrunninfyrehaar
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    you're a healthy adult, you couldn't handle that a couple times a year just fine.
    KenElPescadoPeladoTad_Myournotunique
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    I am glad there is no mention of Dunkin Donuts because their donuts are hot fucking garbage
    KenElPescadoPeladoItsShugwchevronTad_M
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I was so sad when Tim's started distributing and selling frozen donuts (maybe 15 years ago?). They used to be so, so good ... the walnut crunch was one of my favourite all-time foods. Looked like a long, flat, nutty turd but tasted like heaven.  

Now you might as well eat an actual turd. Donuts are smaller, blander, and overall gross in comparison.

I can't wait for my next trip to Real America so I can try some of these tasty donuts!
    GasBombKenElPescadoPeladoTad_Mslickfins_Ryan
    #KOAT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch