frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

TRS Advice Column, 'Ask A Random Triathlete' - Submit Questions

Comments

• Options
    petepete Member
    If I wear a sleeved tri-suit at an Olympic/Sprint race, will others point and laugh?
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Martin said:
    How does a GPS help you become a better triathlete? And why do people wear them in swimming pools?
    People wear them in swimming pools to annoy the hell out of you by touching the fucking lap button every time they finish anything that is noteworthy.
    AaronWebsteyrigpigMartinKelly O'MaraFastCat1107Tad_M
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    HSeeley14 said:
    Martin said:
    How does a GPS help you become a better triathlete? And why do people wear them in swimming pools?
    People wear them in swimming pools to annoy the hell out of you by touching the fucking lap button every time they finish anything that is noteworthy.

I have to admit, I wear my new Fenix in the pool and I didn't know how much I was pissing off the other swimmers.  I am deathly afraid of offending anyone.

I am taking @HSeeley14 's advice and to reduce annoyance, you will now see me finish a segment underwater, hit my lap button underwater, and then come up to the surface gasping for air.  I will hold the side with my left hand of course to hide the watch. 

Looks like I will be practicing vertical kicking a lot if I ever have to reach up for a drink with my left hand too.

AaronWebsteybalsdorfrigpigCraig_DkjrunninKenElPescadoPeladoHSeeley14yournotunique

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    rigpigrigpig Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I use my watch as I lose track of laps past 4...
    Tad_MGasBombkjrunninKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_Det5504yournotuniqueDHansenTri

Kevin Brydges
    You're the rig guy? You don't look like you worked on rigs....
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Dear Kelly,
    If you win the Wildflower AG race overall, is it time to get a pro card?

neil5youngjakesaundersSteve HalewskiCraig_DGasBombKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    @AaronWebstey if you've already paid your $920 for Kona then it's time to wait until after that to evaluate
    neil5youngAaronWebsteyM_WareGasBombDawnCKenElPescadoPeladoHSeeley14
  • Options
    Thanks! 

Another serious-ish question:

Dear RT,

I am concerned about my weirdly-positive relationship with lunchtime pickup soccer. I play twice a week, run my n**s off, score the odd goal, enjoy myself, and don't really care who wins. I still have yet to:
    - illogically aspire to begin a pro soccer career at the age of 40
    - fiendishly study soccer websites and youtube videos for tips, news, and gossip
    - hire a personal soccer coach to 'take it to the next level'
    - spend all my time off the field thinking about that awesome play I almost made but my gut got in the way

Am I doomed to become "normal", and have a "healthy" relationship with this sport? Am I just too old to become properly obsessed with a sport any more? Should I be concerned? I do sometimes run to and from the field, and a couple times a year I'll wear my Garmin and log it on Strava - so there might still be hope.
    GasBombkjrunninTad_MHSeeley14Elaine Ktwig05yournotunique
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    rigpig said:

The only people that look down their nose at us wearing watches in the pool are fast swimmers.  Fuck them!
    M_WarebalsdorfkjrunninCraig_DTad_MOverBiker_Samyournotunique

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    @Martin qualifies as a 'fuck-you-fast' swimmer. F him.
    MartinGasBombbalsdorfTad_M
  • Options
    In reading an old race report of yours I saw reference to using running shoes instead of triathlon shoes. In all of my one year of experience in triathlon, I haven't heard of triathlon shoes. How do they differ from regular running shoes? 
    AaronWebsteyMartin
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    @aday4788 I don't know that "triathlon" shoes really differ that much from "running" shoes, but Zoot sure would like you to believe they do. A lot of companies basically sell what they call triathlon-specific shoes. Usually come with water draining holes (which is a sham, IMO) and easy to pull on like laces, etc. And they're typically seamless inside to avoid too many blisters (which is actually kinda nice). I go back and forth between regular light tempo type running shoes, running race flats, and triathlon race flats. Depends on the race.
    Ashley_Day
  • Options
    If you are above 140lbs (I know this is like 2% of triathletes), then the little additions like seamlessness and speed holes make a difference. Feet don't get fat (usually; ask my wife about her post-epidural bigfeet), so there can be a lot of weight concentrated on the dogular region of your body. 
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @Aaron Webstey If only 2% of triathletes are above 140lbs then I am the .00001%
    AaronWebsteyMatt_FroeseM_WareCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MHSeeley14yournotunique

• Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @Kelly O'Mara  Latex or Butyl and why?
    M_Ware

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    GasBomb said:
    @Kelly O'Mara  Latex or Butyl and why?
    My first thought on this was did I accidentally open a link to an Adam and Eve forum?
    KenElPescadoPeladoHSeeley14GasBombFastCat1107Tad_MyournotuniqueDHansenTri
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    GasBomb said:
    rigpig said:

The only people that look down their nose at us wearing watches in the pool are fast swimmers.  Fuck them!
    Use the lane markers to count and the umpteen fucking clocks on the walls to time yourself.  Baaaaaa!!  So infuriating!!
    M_Warembrekk44
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    HSeeley14 said:
    GasBomb said:
    rigpig said:

Use the lane markers to count and the umpteen fucking clocks on the walls to time yourself.  Baaaaaa!!  So infuriating!!
    Bahahahaha. I have shared a lane with you and I would definitely have been using my Garmin. 

Thanks for suppressing your rage and not drowning me.
    M_WareAaronWebsteyTad_MHSeeley14GasBomb

• Options
    I wear mine so I know what my sTSS is. It's the greatest metric in the world. And my watch is flawless with tracking laps. Especially when I swim IM's. 400 IM usually gets me 6 lengths. In a 25 yd pool.

In my defense, I do swim in a single lane lap pool in my apartment complex with no wall clocks, so I need some sort of watch/clock thing, and my TomTom does claim to be able to do swimming. I've gotten one 500 warm-up reasonably close (watch read 475) but full workouts are just a mess. I have no clue how @DC Rainmaker managed to get reasonable swim metrics with this thing. (Don't worry, man, I didn't buy it based on your recommendation, It was a freaking steal on Amazon and has a better form factor than most others. Maybe the Polar V800 would have been better in that regard, but $450 vs $90 was a no brainer for me). 

• Options
    edited May 2016
    kjrunnin said:
    HSeeley14 said:
    GasBomb said:
    rigpig said:

Bahahahaha. I have shared a lane with you and I would definitely have been using my Garmin. 

Thanks for suppressing your rage and not drowning me.
    I am constantly suppressing rage in one form or another, but sharing a lane with one person who is a slave to their watch isn't a hassle, it's the damn group swims, which is why I try to avoid them like the plague.  Now quit being a pansy and come out to swim in the lake tomorrow morning!  
    AaronWebsteykjrunninTad_MItsShug
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    HSeeley14 said:
    Now quit being a pansy and come out to swim in the lake tomorrow morning!  
    Pansy my ass. I'm at training camp and swam in Tucelnuit yesterday - which the data geeks tell me is 2 degrees colder than Sasamat right now. 

I'll be be there next weekend. With my Garmin.
    M_WareAaronWebsteyTad_MrigpigHSeeley14

• Options
    I was using different Newton running shoes for training and racing different length races tri/running.  I was finding when I started running my muscle along my shin, and my calf muscles were on fire and fatigued.  I attributed that to the blocks on the sole and me already running on my forefoot, so ending up running on my toes.
    I tried out a pair of Altra's and found them to alleviate my issues.  But after using them for 1-2 months now, I am starting to get a blister on the back of my foot.  I then noticed that I had wear on the backs of both shoes.  The pair that I bought were the last of last's year model, and I took them with realizing that I could probably go down a 1/2 size.  But having many different sizes of Newtons I never thought too much of it.  
    My question is, do you think it could be a brand issue on how they fit me, or and issue with sizing?  
    I also am trying a pair of Pearl Izumi's bought by a friend, which are also could go down a 1/2 size, but have no issues with blisters.  I have not ran longer than 7 miles in them though.
    Thanks @Kelly O'Mara 
    AaronWebstey

Kevin Brydges
  • Options
    rigpig said:
    I was using different Newton running shoes for training and racing different length races tri/running.  I was finding when I started running my muscle along my shin, and my calf muscles were on fire and fatigued.  I attributed that to the blocks on the sole and me already running on my forefoot, so ending up running on my toes.
    I tried out a pair of Altra's and found them to alleviate my issues.  But after using them for 1-2 months now, I am starting to get a blister on the back of my foot.  I then noticed that I had wear on the backs of both shoes.  The pair that I bought were the last of last's year model, and I took them with realizing that I could probably go down a 1/2 size.  But having many different sizes of Newtons I never thought too much of it.  
    My question is, do you think it could be a brand issue on how they fit me, or and issue with sizing?  
    I also am trying a pair of Pearl Izumi's bought by a friend, which are also could go down a 1/2 size, but have no issues with blisters.  I have not ran longer than 7 miles in them though.
    Thanks @Kelly O'Mara 
    I wear Altra and I had blisters on my heel from them moving around at first but found that tieing the laces with a heel lock got rid of that. Also, if you think you can go down a 1/2 size you probably can due to how much room they have around the toes. 
  • Options
    @balsdorf Thanks.  A friend said the same thing about the heel lock tying.  Funny thing is I had no idea what that is, but think they are tied that way anyway.  Someone had tied them like that at the store.  I am hoping it is just the sizing, as I would like to get another pair, but need to get some use out of these ones first.

Kevin Brydges
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @Aaron Webstey re: soccer - I know you're sort of kidding, but I have that same problem. I played when I was younger and got to be relatively skilled/accomplished (think European equivalent of like Double A baseball), but haven't played at all in over a decade because I can only find leagues that are ex-college players who take it wayyyyy too seriously or like beer leagues who are adult-onset players who think it's funny to kick it over the goal and yell "it's goooood!" every time. 

Also, I wear a garmin in the pool because my ADHD keeps me from remembering what lap I was on when I was remembering that Game of Thrones is on tonite and holy shit last week's episode was insane and can't wait to see it. (Sad part? This started as a joke and I legitimately got distracted for a couple minutes thinking about  GoT.)
    AaronWebsteyGasBombHSeeley14
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph | Follow yournotunique

• Options
    PhalangicalPhalangical Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @Kelly O'Mara High Carb or High Fat diet? If high fat then still supplement on long runs/rides/races with carbs??
  • Options
    Anyone asked what the best chamois cream is? I only ever used chamois butt'r but I hear others with more clever names are better.
    twig05HSeeley14
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Anyone asked what the best chamois cream is? I only ever used chamois butt'r but I hear others with more clever names are better.
    https://www.dz-nuts.com/
    GasBombMatt
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    ItsShug said:
    Have you used the dz-nuts?  I've been using Assos but it's almost done.  LBS recommended Buttonhole.  Gave me a sample but haven't tried it yet.
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    My LBS recommended Buttonhole, and I've been pretty happy with it. 
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    ItsShug said:
    And don't forget DZ-lips for the ladies. Oh, right, that's DZ-nuts bliss... I have the nuts, and it's good. but not life changing.
    KenElPescadoPeladoHSeeley14

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch