frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

The Interesting Life of a Triathlete’s Wife

SystemAdminSystemAdmin Administrator
edited January 2016 in Articles

imageThe Interesting Life of a Triathlete’s Wife

A triathlete wife’s take on living with a triathlete, written by guest author Kayle Spiller (wife of pro triathlete, Dusty Spiller).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    This article made me think of @SophiaC :)
    KenElPescadoPelado
    #KOAT
  • Options
    from my time as Chairman of the UK triathlon club Tri-Force and observing athletes for 5-years...

There are 4-types of Ironman(that is someone who has completed at least 1-Ironman)
    1. Someone who is single
    2. Someone who wants to be single
    3. Someone who will be single
    4. Someone in a new relationship
    Aaron Websteysimonsen77Craig_D
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited January 2016
    Substitute "toddler" for "triathlete" and "mommy" for "Tri-wife" and this still makes perfect sense.
    Aaron WebsteyPreachSwanson

• Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @DHansenTri, care to add to this from your perspective??
    Aaron Websteysimonsen77DHansenTriCraig_D
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    As a triathlete and the husband of a pro triathlete my points and tips if you're in such a situation:
    - Your house will turn into a giant pile shit no mater how hard you 'try' to keep it neat. Don't fight it, just let it happen.
    - Have separate credit cards to maximize points at grocery stores and travel. Oh, and hide them from your wife.
    - In fact, maintain separate bank accounts at all times, otherwise you'll see what kinds of stupid bullshit she thinks she needs to maximize her performance.
    - Don't buy the cheap toilet paper... just don't, the investment is worth it.
    - Sex? Ohhh yeah... we used to do that. Do yourself a favor and just forget it entirely, or convince her to have an open relationship. No matter what it doesn't end well.
    - Make sure your neighbors know you're triathletes and that the noise coming from the basement is indeed bike riding and not freaky sex or you beating your wife.
    - Don't book travel too far in advance and always make sure it's refundable.
    - If at all possible do the same long course races. It's a lot easier to time your lives and trips together. It wicked sucks if one persons killing a large pizza after just finishing a race while the other is in a build week.
    - Setup two TV's in front of the trainers. You'll never finish a 5 hour ride watching the stupid shit she puts on.
    - When riding together lead so she doesn't have to, oh but you better not ride too fast or too slow. And for the love of god don't drop your wife on the long ride - the consequences are ugly, trust me.
    - If she drops you on a long ride you better get your ass in gear - she doesn't like waiting at the car.
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPeladojakesaundersPreachSwansonG Scott LayherCraig_DbalsdorfHSeeley14

Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.

• Options
    #9 Expect that all your of you vacation time will be spent sherpa-ing at events around the country. There will undoubtably be international travel in your future as well, so your expertise in schlepping will soon only be surpassed by your knowledge shipping of bikes and other bulky items to and from events. As a tri-wife you will see luxurious concrete filled lakes, parking lots and lots and lots of tents. Don't think that you will be able to see the sights because you will either watch him resting for the race or recovering from the race.
    Aaron WebsteyDHansenTri
  • Options

#9 Expect that all your of you vacation time will be spent sherpa-ing at events around the country. There will undoubtably be international travel in your future as well, so your expertise in schlepping will soon only be surpassed by your knowledge shipping of bikes and other bulky items to and from events. As a tri-wife you will see luxurious concrete filled lakes, parking lots and lots and lots of tents. Don't think that you will be able to see the sights because you will either watch him resting for the race or recovering from the race.

That's why you should do what I do and race triathlon also. Who knows, you might be good at it and have some fun. Now it's a routine in the Hansen hoursehold, but wasn't always. Regardless, though, you will always have some sherpa duties, but if you race too he'll have to sherpa sometimes too.
    Aaron Webstey

Living life in pursuit of triathlon greatness and not pissing off my wife. Also trying to understand Dark Mark and why he's left New York yet again, but this time for Oklahoma. At least it's not Florida.

• Options
    As a fellow triwife, I love your take on living this lifestyle, Kayle. So with you. But, there is a blog just made for you - http://triwivesclub.com. We came to the same conclusion as you that there wasn't a place for triwives/partners/families to get info and support, so we created our own. But, a lot of triathletes read us, too. I guess to see what we're thinking! We hope you visit.
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

That's why you should do what I do and race triathlon also. Who knows, you might be good at it and have some fun. Now it's a routine in the Hansen hoursehold, but wasn't always. Regardless, though, you will always have some sherpa duties, but if you race too he'll have to sherpa sometimes too.
    In theory the dual-reverse sherpa duties would work, IF YOUR HUSBAND HAD ANY FUCKING CLUE HOW TO SHERPA!!

Me as Sherpa, Example 1: $50 cab out to 25km point of marathon in middle of Las Vegas desert to hand out Ibuprofen (note: this was 6 months into relationship and I had never watched a marathon before or been to Vegas. The only pills he would get from me in this situation now would be laced with ricin) only to have him run by smiling and saying, "no thanks, I feel great!". Then run (over 10km) all the way back to the race finish in flip flops and jeans to take pictures and lug his sweaty shit around post race as he schmoozed with his running friends.

Husband as "Sherpa", Example 1: Does not hold any of my shit, takes a few pics, but mostly selfies and let's our crazy dog loose on the race course to run up and jump on me 15km into a HIM run.

Me, example 2: lug a 4mo old puppy (if I had kids like some triathlon wives do there is no fucking way I would be out all over the course, those women are tough mofos!) around the IM Whistler course in 30 degrees C, take pictures, collaborate with friends, cheer him on, and then when he finally opens his eyes to pay attention to the giant cheering section created for him and our other friends and sees me talking to a friend as he runs by he throws his arms up in rage and says, "thanks for nothing!" hahahaha. We all laughed pretty hard. I still went and got his bike and all his shit while lugging the puppy around after the race.

Him, example 2: 10km into half marathon at a HIM, "why are you walking?". "Cause I have a fucking stitch and can't get rid of it". "Well hurry up, the dog and I are bored." Post race I lugged all my race gear and the dog back to our car while he Facebooked.

There was that one time he made a fake race bib and tried to run some of the IM marathon with me. I had to tell him to run behind me and not help me though as he kept trying and did not understand that I could get DQ'd for it. Or....maybe he did....I was on route to a faster IM time than he had ever logged....hmmmmm.

Aaron WebsteyMattM_WareCraig_D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch