frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Feedback regarding new TRS Radio format.

trsradio69trsradio69 Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
New year, new music, new format. What do you think? Let 'er rip.

Comments

• Options
    Music and show was tight. Special mention on the sound quality. Its awesome for podcasting.
  • Options
    Susan_B_AgonySusan_B_Agony Member
    edited January 2016
    Felt like the new format cramped the old style a little and ruined the conversational flow just a bit. Barrie's "ITU minute" was great- maybe someone else can come in for a long course one?

Music was good, though
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Barrie was great, loved hearing @Adrienne Taren, like the new music. I found myself wanting more of you and @Dark Mark, which may be a good thing (a la Costanza, etc).
    neil5young
    #KOAT
  • Options
    i'm on board with standardizing the format to move in a more professional direction. that being said:...
    1. i liked the old energetic music and always giggled at the cute-sounding girl who made the quip about aerobars and drugs
    2. as much as i appreciate the insightful stuff about the sport (and i do like the ITU stuff too), the best parts are you and mark just shootin' the shit. especially when you're shootin' shit with the pros. and as long as there's tri jokes, i'm good
    M_Ware

"there's ice in my ass crack and it feels amazing" - overheard at IMMT

• Options
    I think the new format felt a bit disjointed, where it was a lot of really distinct segments. The show tends to have better flow when it's more free-form. That said, the new elements are really, really good. I think with time you'll get better at setting them up, integrating them into the open, and potentially including some discussion/jokes with Mark after them.

Sound quality is really good.

Preferred the old music, but such is life.

Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited January 2016

Preferred the old music, but such is life.

I liked the old music, too.
    rigpig
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options

Felt like the new format cramped the old style a little and ruined the conversational flow just a bit. Barrie's "ITU minute" was great- maybe someone else can come in for a long course one?

Music was good, though

Yes, when you change something, the thing that it used to be is no longer the same.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. Interesting feedback.
  • Options
    By the way, are y'all noticing an improvement in sound starting with the Butterfield episode? I did literally nothing differently except that I mixed it on a mac laptop instead of my old work pc laptop. Same software (audacity).
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the Barrie section and getting some education on how the Olympic process works, look forward to hearing more from him as we get closer to Rio. Interview with Tyler was good. The section with you and Dark Mark seemed to have lower energy than previous recordings.
    Slower than you think....
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    @Mattpatt It was recorded later at night, that might have had something to do with it.
  • Options
    @TRS_tri yep. Further proof that for one reason or another, Macs are superior at creative outlet needs.
    lakercr
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    Fascinating. I have to say, that I am quickly falling in love with it. I ordered one little $30 part that will allow me to conduct the Skype calls on the mac. Might make things even better.
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I'd be surprised if simply using Audacity on the mac as opposed to PC had any effect on the quality. I think Audacity runs on a Java vm, which means that the PC, Mac, and Linux versions should all be pretty much identical.

Flaven
    #KOAT
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I liked the new format. Especially the quick chats with Dr Taren and Barrie S. In the future, please more Dark Mark, more Webstey, and can every episode feature a Rhodsey homestay story?
    Aaron WebsteyKenElPescadoPelado

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    Just like Queen taught us about love, too much Webstey will kill you. And the ratings.
    GasBombKenElPescadoPelado
    #KOAT
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Sworry Aaron, but your voice is very soothing.
    Aaron Webstey

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    TRS_tri said:

Music was good, though

Yes, when you change something, the thing that it used to be is no longer the same.
    This... This intrigues me. Can you explain this further?

But for real, @Mattpatt brings up a good point. Knowing about the Olympic qualification standards also helps the fans follow the sport. If I know Greg billington needs to get 15th to make it, I'll be more involved.

I think the same could be said for the long course pros- regular KPR updates may help people be more involved in the season < /idea. >

May be an area of journalism you can look into to feed the content monster for the website
    GasBomb
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I only noticed better sound quality with Tyler, probably because he has a platinum-plated microphone that his daddy got him for his half-birthday.

I don't mind the intro music and I don't like the outro music. That being said, I don't consider myself to have good taste in music, so whatever.

I liked the funny intro with the "The best thing to happen to triathlon..." joke, but naturally that joke got stale after a few episodes. I think the only way that that bit could sustain itself would be if Ben's wife recorded a new one each week (not likely).

I also thought that the bit with @Dark Mark was a bit short (agree that that isn't necessarily bad), but was good.

I really enjoyed the bit with @Adrienne Taren. Interesting, entertaining, and succinct. Would be happy to hear more guests like this on the show. Nice to see the cross-promotion for the website too.

I also liked @Barrieshepley's contribution. He knows everything and he knows what people want to hear. I am very very interesting to hear from him regularly as the Olympic qualification period draws near, and then of course as the Olympics approach.

The interview with Tyler was solid, as always.
    trsradio69Aaron WebsteyG Scott LayherGasBombpete

• Options
    agodeskyagodesky Member, Pro Triathlete
    I hate change so I was nervous, but I liked the new format. One idea, with all your extra time, maybe a Spotify playlist for the songs that are played during the episodes? :) Thanks for doing what you do!
    FastCat1107
  • Options
    I liked it as usual. A little more focused but it's essentially the same thing and as always it's great hearing your comments and black fred's banter. The new additions are cool and as a hip-hop fan, the intro song especially.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    agodesky said:

I hate change so I was nervous, but I liked the new format. One idea, with all your extra time, maybe a Spotify playlist for the songs that are played during the episodes? :) Thanks for doing what you do!

I'm brand new to spotify. If someone shows me how to do that, I'm in.

• Options
    Sound quality was better due to Butterfield's mic or whatever he was doing.
    Ryan HeislerPreachSwanson
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    The idea of having pre planned multiple segments in the beginning is good. Ensures good content. That said, Bens free form flow with Mark/Aaron and others is essential. I feel the old flow, jokes, informality can be the Mortar between these pre planned Bricks. This would nail it.
    The banter, odd, off color topics, and pointed criticism of stupidity in this sport must remain. It can be pre planned and still have an unscripted feel on the in between spots.
    Great to have a quick hitting recurring insider report on ITU. As often as it can contain a good report.
    Maybe someone talks Long course through the year too, but it has to have the allure of inside info like Barrie.
    My 3 cents.
    Great start to the 2016 podcast season @TRS_tri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aaron WebsteyGasBombM_Ware
    visit Michigan July 19th to 24th 2023 - The Sworry Trials Impossibleman and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options

The banter, odd, off color topics, and pointed criticism of stupidity in this sport must remain. It can be pre planned and still have an unscripted feel on the in between spots.

Yes, what Tad said. Please keep the gritty bits and don't go fern bar.
    trsradio69GasBombKenElPescadoPeladoPreachSwanson
    Keeper of the Cowbell
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I'm not entirely certain that @Dark Mark's gritty bits will be decent for any YouTube content, but that works perfectly in the podcast audio-only format.

I, for one, may have responded to the poll a while back saying that I enjoyed both intros and interviews - because the interviews are great - but after having some of my favorite flavor of amphetamine pulled away from me, I definitely miss the longer intros. Holding onto hope that we'll have more funny bonus content on Patreon!

I'm fine with a change of music. Public Enema is a welcome insertion in the program.
    M_Ware
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    All of us regular listeners are going to continue listening with change or not. I think the sharpening up of it all will bring more listeners which is the bottom line. All in all, good move in my opinion.
    Aaron Webstey

TRS Canada

• Options
    rigpigrigpig Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @TRS_tri Listened to Butterface last night, and I am working my way through the Patreon stuff that was just posted. Got the Siri L. one listened too first. I really liked the way you interviewed her, was good and still funny even though you might have handled her a bit with kid gloves. Not that is a bad thing, as you know how to handle each person differently according to their personality. Another bonus is giving Patreon a bonus by posting early. Another bonus is dropbox as I can download it to my phone and listen while driving as I don't have Sirius anymore. You have replaced Stern for me. Keep rocking the cock Mr Hobbs, still the only podcast I enjoy listening to.
    I am with M Ware with liking the old music at the end better, but I am not complaining.
    M_WareAaron Webstey

Kevin Brydges
    You're the rig guy? You don't look like you worked on rigs....
  • Options
    rigpigrigpig Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited January 2016
    @TRS_tri On a different note, I waited to listen to the best of episode for my long drive. Great episode, possibly the best. The @Aaron Webstey ad was awesome! Ha. Oh, and thanks for playing my request, L.S.'s food intake makes me laugh every time.
    Aaron Webstey

Kevin Brydges
    You're the rig guy? You don't look like you worked on rigs....
  • Options
    @TRS_tri you are an awesome genius.
    trsradio69
    Keeper of the Cowbell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch