frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

BCAA - Who takes them?

I recently was having a conversation with a friend of mine that is a gym rat. He was talking about all the supplements he takes and said that I should be taking BCAA's for recovery. I looked into it and he might be right.

Does anyone take them? If so what do you take?
KenElPescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    ItsShugItsShug Member, Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I take a boat lold of em. They're cheap and easy. I took them religiously training for Redman tri and had minimal muscle mass loss. It supplies your body with important amino acids that it would otherwise get from breaking down muscles.

Bpi has nice flavors if you want to drink them but I also use muscle pharm capsules so I don't have to mix a drink first thing in the morning or before bed. Usually around 20 bucks 240 capsules. 8 capsules per serving. I usually do 3x a day. 20151210_092043
    KenElPescadoPelado
    Demotivational Speaker
    Master of the Absurd - King of all Polls
    Kansas Native
    Tweets Me  Follow ItsShug
  • Options
    You also usually get a decent dose if you're taking any kind of protein powder that has whey protein in it
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    edited December 2015
    Thanks for bringing this up - was looking into them a while back and dropped the ball on actually buying anything.

A buddy had recommended this product, "Xtend BCAAs". I think it's intended for the truly hard core.

21779SS
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I do. This is what I use: http://www.wickedfastsportsnutrition.com/p-1-recover-ease.aspx

Also get 'em via my protein powder of choice (Vega Sport).

• Options
    I took them pretty regularly when lifting and then definitely help. Now that you bring it up I think I am going to reincorporate it into training for triathlons.
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    So not knowing what a BCAA was, I've been doing a little reading. These things will help me lose belly fat, AND help with muscle recovery? Sign me up.

Before I walk into GNC looking like a jackass, is there any real difference in them? Pills vs powder? Why do some cost twice what the cheap ones cost?

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I like this. Blends easy with water and has a good kick of caffeine.
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I usually take a scoop of bsn syntha six after a good workout. They have lots of flavors that mix good with water and the isolate version cost a little more, but has more refined protein and less sugar. A protein powder with bcaas in it is better, they help your muscles absorb the protein.
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter

So not knowing what a BCAA was, I've been doing a little reading. These things will help me lose belly fat, AND help with muscle recovery? Sign me up.

Whaaaaat? I have a [metric] ton of belly fat... I want my money back.

• Options
    trsradio69trsradio69 Member, TRS/Baucco Officers
    How can I trust that any of you know what you're talking about and that these supplements aren't full of aresenic and/or testosterone?
    ItsShugMartin
  • Options
    @TRS_tri. Obviously we have no clue what we're doing otherwise we'd all be rich and lay on the beach. Just know that whenyou start taking this stuff, it's best to go with the max dose right off the hop for the first 2 weeks. After that the hair on your arms stops standing up, the tic goes away, and you lose the insatiable urge to do crossfit. Results may vary*.
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @TRS_tri I drink way too much to be considered a reliable source!
    Craig_D
  • Options
    TRS_tri said:

How can I trust that any of you know what you're talking about and that these supplements aren't full of aresenic and/or testosterone?

I drink breast milk for that.
    Craig_D
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    kjrunnin said:

Whaaaaat? I have a [metric] ton of belly fat... I want my money back.
    Just trying to read up on them. Every page I find is a body building page. They're probably referring to the .02% they still have yet to lose. I need help with like 20%.

ItsShugCraig_D

• Options
    Went to GNC and picked some up. Meathead (I use the term because of his excessive use of the word "bro") sold me on a powder vs capsules. Why can't they make the powder drinks taste anything like what they're advertised to taste like? Found out the price difference, in most cases, isn't actually brand based like I assumed.

• Options

Went to GNC and picked some up. Meathead (I use the term because of his excessive use of the word "bro") sold me on a powder vs capsules. Why can't they make the powder drinks taste anything like what they're advertised to taste like? Found out the price difference, in most cases, isn't actually brand based like I assumed.

Noooooooooooooooo! Bro, gnc the worst man. You can get such better deals on the Web. supplementwarehouse.com bodybuilding.com. even amazon. I am still a big champion for the pill based muscle pharm bcaa. No powder, no taste just down 8 pills with some water and be done with it.
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    My wife got duped into whatever rewards program they offer (for a price of course). Until that expires I don't mind buying from them. They're the only place close that offers supplements. When you factor in their rewards savings (again she paid for a rewards card?) they aren't that overpriced.

• Options
    jakesaundersjakesaunders Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I used to take BCAA's when I was really into weightlifting years ago. A brand that I liked was Controlled Labs, their stuff seemed to always taste decent and was affordable.
  • Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    I've got a tub of Inifnit for bike rides that has BCAA in it apparently. 2 for 1 on orders today I think.
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    EFS products also have them I believe. I watched one of the Wurtele's videos and Trevor did a talk about them as they are one of they're sponsors. Seems to work ok for them.
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    @Jason Lentzke not sure if satire or legitimate work out program. fry
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    @ItsShug ha. Ben Greenfield must never be taken seriously. Ever.
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    A_drizzleA_drizzle Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    ItsShug said:

TRS_tri said:

I drink breast milk for that.
    The colostrum in breast milk might do you more good.

BCAAs work for preserving muscle if what you're taking actually has the amount and kind of BCAAs that you think it does. Due to zero FDA regulation, with supplements I'd hazard you have at least a 50% risk of just making expensive pee.
    AaronWebsteyrigpig
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    I don't want to get swole by any means or start taking Supplements every few hours and be walking around the gym with my gallon of water. I think I will add some amino acids to my post workout routine.
  • Options
    Just taking the baseline amino dosage won't put on 50 pounds and make you look like a swole steroid user. It also will not cause you to wander aimlessly around a gym while carrying water.
    AaronWebstey
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    What amount helps me lose my fat gut? (without dieting of course)
    kjrunnin

• Options
    I don't think they would primarily target stomach fat to see it really blast away. But I think you'd be fine taking 2-3 servings a day.
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    ItsShug said:

@Jason Lentzke not sure if satire or legitimate work out program.

Not seated on bike; lifting with hood on; tramp stamp between shoulder blades. Please do tell me it's satire.
    Jason Lentzke
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options

ItsShug said:

@Jason Lentzke not sure if satire or legitimate work out program.

Not seated on bike; lifting with hood on; tramp stamp between shoulder blades. Please do tell me it's satire.
    Kinda my train of thought watching that. That and the slow mo trail run.
    Jason Lentzke
    Demotivational Speaker
    Kansas Native

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch