frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Brooks

Gang,
I was just handed $100 for a new pair of running shoes and a 20% off coupon. I've been an Asics man for some time but I religiously cycle my shoes and am curious if anyone on here is a Brooks-Enthusiast. I'm looking to try out a new brand and want feedback and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
-dc

Great Uncle, Average Father, Mediocre Triathlete

Comments

• Options
    What shoe are you wearing currently in Asics? Would guide the conversation.

In general, Brooks and Asics have relatively similar fit profiles (Brooks a little roomier in the forefoot, Asics classic heel-slip issues). Brooks has nailed try-on feel over the last few years, leading to where they sit in the overall run specialty sales chart these days.
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    I find myself swapping between Asics, Brooks and Nike.

My thoughts are Brooks definitely feel better out of the box and are comfortable but almost give a dead feel after your get going, my Asics never felt like that. But overall I find them to be lighter than Asics and where Asics seems to focus on the upper and lower, Brooks puts a lot into their cushioning while keeping the upper more utilitarian.

Their T-series racing shoes are awesome though, super light and great feel.

I also agree with @rrheisler that if you put in what Asics you are currently in there is a Brooks equivalent that will at least get you in the ballpark.

Welcome to Costco. I love you.

• Options
    drjocydrjocy Member
    edited January 2015
    I switch from Asics to Brooks 2 years ago. Switch from GT series to Racer ST5. But now they are out of stock or dicontinued and I had to go back to Asics. They feel very cluncky and heavy on my feet. I called Brooks and they said a new version of the Racer ST-5 is coming out in februrary. Best shoe I had in 18 years.

Dr. Jocy - TRS EAST Bitches!

• Options
    I gave up on Nike a year ago - my last pair are strictly used for the Treadmill.

Asics: I have Cumulus and a pair of the Gel Excel 33-3. I am a loyalist to the Gel Excel line.

I figure its a good time to grab a new pair of sneakers and I'm in a position where I can experiment while mixing in a shoe that will hit slightly different points in my cycle. I've read that Brooks and Asics are reasonably similar. Maybe I'm just over thinking this and should stick with what I like.

• Options
    And thanks for the responses.

• Options
    Look at both the Brooks Ghost and the Launch. By far the most similar shoes in the line-up. The Ghost will give you a more similar (soft) ride that you'd find in Asics, whereas the Launch is a little racier feeling.
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    Gagne603Gagne603 Member
    edited January 2015
    Whatever ones Chrissie Wellington wears-I think the shoes are really fast. I tried a pair of Brooks years ago and found them to be a little too stiff-I wear Newtons
  • Options
    I tried Newton's - I found the toe a poor fit for me. I guess this is a thread about how the right shoe is the one that works for you. I snagged a pair of Ravenna's to try out on sale for $65. With my 90 day no questions asked guarantee for returns I figured it was too good a deal to pass for a tryout.

• Options
    Given your shoe history: you'll be returning those.
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    Why do you say that? Curious. I found them on the treadmill similar to the Asics Cumulus - a five minute run is a poor way to judge em but we pay for the VIP status for a reason. I was sold on Mizuno last year and found them terribly stiff. We will see.

Bike seats are the next discussion I need to have.

• Options
    Medial posting on the Ravenna will more than likely eventually read itself result with a fair level of discomfort. The Ghost and Launch are the more similar options to the shoe in terms of cushioning, structure, and overall experience in the shoe. The Ravenna is more like the 2000 series Asics.

Mizuno is definitely firm by comparison. Which is what I look for in a shoe (conversely, i loathe the feel of Asics.)
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options

Bike seats are the next discussion I need to have.

Adamo, either the Road, Prologue, or PN1.1. Saddle discussion over.

TRS East

• Options
    I tried Brooks, both Pure Connect and Pure Cadence 2. Both gave me some pretty awful shin splints.

I'm a forefoot runner, and Newton Kismet are absolutely fantastic for me. Phenomenal return on the upstroke of your legs from their heel and P.O.P. system.

Disclaimer: I ran in Vibrams quite happily for years and love the super minimalist approach, so my opinion may or may not be bunk for you.

TRS East

• Options
    rrheisler said:

Medial posting on the Ravenna will more than likely eventually read itself result with a fair level of discomfort. The Ghost and Launch are the more similar options to the shoe in terms of cushioning, structure, and overall experience in the shoe. The Ravenna is more like the 2000 series Asics.

Mizuno is definitely firm by comparison. Which is what I look for in a shoe (conversely, i loathe the feel of Asics.)

We are opposites here. I also hated the Kinvara's from Saucony which people swear by. The back was narrow and high by comparison and ripped me up something awful. I was more than happy to return them brutal bloodstain and all.

Saddles: All signs point to the Adamo's. I wish I hit the Slowtwitch saddle tour last year to give them a try.

• Options
    If you don't mind it being well used, i have a Road that isn't on a bike right now that you can try. It's white, and got abused by a friend of mine who borrowed it and didn't understand how to take care of things, but still plenty serviceable for seeing if you like the saddle.

TRS East

• Options
    My wife would appreciate knowing if there is a worthy successor to her beloved Brooks Trance. Reviews for the Transcend made it sound like they weren't quite up to par.
  • Options
    The Adrenaline and the Trance shared the same last/platform; the Trance simply had lower durometer (read as: softer) foams. So the Adrenaline would be a fine replacement. In the alternative, check out either the Asics Kayano or the Saucony Hurricane (with the new ISOfit, not prior models).

Transcend is an odd shoe; firmer than I expected.
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    Duckies said:

If you don't mind it being well used, i have a Road that isn't on a bike right now that you can try. It's white, and got abused by a friend of mine who borrowed it and didn't understand how to take care of things, but still plenty serviceable for seeing if you like the saddle.

That's a kind offer. I'm interested. Let's figure out how that might work out. I also have plans with my LBS to have a chat about a demo so that might happen first.

Heisler - you know your shoes. Ha ha. I have a guy I swim with who works one day a week at a shoe shop for discounts - you are reminding me of him. His knowledge and opinions are pretty pointed and encyclopedic. Thanks for the thoughts.
    Ryan Heisler

• Options
    I'd better know this shit! It's what I built a decade of my career out of! Hah! Sometimes I definitely get a little...uh, curt, which usually stems from dealing with idiocy for the better part of the day. I was given the nickname "Bing" at Maine Running because I can pretty much name off every running, training, and basketball shoe since 2005. (And in some cases...still remember the style number.)
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    I've been using Brooks Ravenna 4 to train for last few years. Now luckily I found them for $60 on 6PM.com which is the Zappos discount site. http://www.6pm.com/brooks-ravenna-4-andean-toucan-nightlife-silver-black?zhlfid=139&kpid=27923826&kpid=27923826 They work great. No injury issues.

Lew22 

TRS East

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch