frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Possibly, likely, incredibly stupid question about feet

yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
As a background, I'm coming off a stress fracture in my foot, which I *think* is healed enough to run (did it around, or on, Oct 25 at B2B). I also apparently developed a Morton's neuroma at that race, because I thought it'd be a good idea to ride in brand new shoes I had never worn before (Bont's). And, I haven't been on the bike since; combination of new baby, bad foot, running a business, and the holidays. Also laziness. Can't discount laziness. I digress.

Anyway, I'm ready to start doing stuff agin since im starting to find a little bit of available time, and want to avoide making my foot numb. So I know I need to make sure the toe box of my shoes, both running and cycling, are "wide". The problem is, I have no idea what constitutes "wide". I did some googling and all I find is stuff like "shoe x is wide and shoe y is narrow." What the fuck does that mean to me?

So, how does one determine whether a shoe has an wide enough toe box without buying 18 different pairs? I can't find dimensions for any of them, and I sure as shit won't be buying a18 pairs to try out.
-I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |

Comments

• Options
    I don't really have a good answer, but I can anticipate some questions that may come up.  What running shoes have you been happy with in the past?  Any pronation issues?  Training shoe, race shoe, or dual purpose?  Distance?
  • Options
    As i mentioned to @Duckies for running shoes...The brand Topo Athletic (I am an ambassador) they have a wide toe box. They also have, which is new to the market, split toe shoes, where your big toe is separated from the rest of your feet. Its a great concept and my wife(who works for the company) has heard nothing but great feedback on helping treat/cure mortons along with a more natural stride. it will help train your body to land midfoot. check out the website and if you are on the fence about buying them thats understandable. I have a few coupon codes for 50% off the shoes if you do decide to buy em. only catch, the expire 12/31. I will be getting more coupons in 2015 just not sure when. that said, ASK AWAY with questions.
    heres the site. www.topoathletic.com

Duckies

village idiot

• Options
    Alright, so there's a lot of different things kind of going on here. Don't discount that one of the primary reasons for neuroma conditions to develop is in addition to the width of the shoe, there is generally an issue elsewhere in the kinetic chain (e.g., too rigid plantar fascia not allowing the big toe to flex, creating a rotation point along the ball of your foot, or posterior tibialis issues, or...I could go on). The point is, width in the shoe is only one piece of the puzzle.

One of the biggest things to watch out for, in terms of run shoe fit, is ensuring that the ball of your foot is, in fact, in the widest part of the shoe; generally, this means we'll need to size your run shoe based off of arch length, rather than physical foot length. Also be on the lookout not just for the width in that region, but additionally the need for the shape of the toe box to not be as rounded. In generally, this means that Mizuno/Nike and a couple of newer niche brands are out.

Additionally, bike position can come into play; if your not able to rotate enough on the pelvis on the saddle, you won't get appropriate hamstring and gluteal recruitment, which often narrows the nerve pathways to the point where you wind up with numbness in your feet. Cleat positioning, as well as width in the shoe, would also come into play here.

Y'know, I've always though $500K worth of student loan debt would be a nice round number...might be time to look into PT school...
    Aaron WebsteyDuckies
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I should probably have given more footwear details: I've been running in Kinvara's since the original model, and do short races (10k and below) and short brick runs in Virrata's. I've been in the same cycling shoes for about 3 years, a pair of Bontrager Hilo RXL's. Haven't changed my position drastically, though I switched to compact cranks (50/34) and crank arms (172.5 -> 165). I raised my saddle and brought it slightly forward, but didn't adjust cockpit at all. I've been riding that position since May, and did Mont Tremblant 70.3 on it (rode 2:40). I bought the Bont's, baked them once, and then rode B2B half. Still have the scars from my bloodied ankles to prove it.

Getting off at T2 I kept trying to find the pebble that was in my shoe and rub out the pins and needles. I haven't had any pain from running (aside from shin splints) prior to this. So, in retrospect, this seems like the first time it showed up, which is why I assumed it was the cycling shoes.

Oh, and I rotate my trainers, never the same pair two runs in a row, and buy new ones at 200 miles. New racers (Virrata's) at 150ish.
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Good lord you guys think about this shit a lot. I've had the same bike shoes since 2000 and buy whatever running shoes are on clearance in my size. I think I'm going to find distance racing difficult.
    oldmanchadHSeeley14
    #KOAT
  • Options
    there is a lot of words in this thread so I'm going to guess at the question and provide my own answer.

you are supposed to wash your feet if trying to get someone to suck your toes.
    HSeeley14yournotunique

Nathan Kiser
    Just FYI, you... are also less than mediocre. -TheActualPaulo

• Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Not gonna get as detailed and technical as above posts because I wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about, not that it's unusual for me not to know what I am yapping about, but this seems important so I will stick to what I know. Have had a stress fracture in the past in my foot, 1-2mo is generally a good recovery time. I too have trouble with slim shoes (both bike and run) and getting pins/needles in my toes and top of my feet. Solution for me has been rolling out bottom of feet (on a golfball), stretching ankles, wider toed shoes (KSwiss, Altras for example), looser laces and roomier bike shoes.
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member

I'm also no expert but I can say that Altras have the wide front and have been awesome for my fat little feet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch