frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Beer Mile Tips

So I decided to organize a beer mile with a couple of my tri-geek friends, and it looks like we have 52 people coming (so far).  Anyways, this will be my first one and I can count the times I've drank more than 4 beers in the last several months on my fingers (I do drink, generally strong dark beers, then go to bed).  On the podcast I heard belching after downing a beer is important.  I'm not going for any record, I'm just looking to finish.  Any other tips you can share?  It's this Sunday, so building up my tolerance in 6 days is a tip that won't work for me!

Polletta ~ TRS West

Comments

• Options
    Ryan HeislerRyan Heisler Member
    edited December 2014
    Slice of pizza about two hours beforehand. Something in the gut to soak up the booze a little bit.

I disagree on the belching bit, unless you have an iron gut that can take in a little bit more air. Also can initiate gag reflex, which is game over.

Speed typically comes not from the running, but more from the ability to get the beer down. It helps to be good at drinking shots.

Go for something right at the 5% limit. And cans is usually a better move versus bottles. Bud Ice was always a favorite.

Lap 4: you're going to want to hustle. You usually have a finite amount of time before you get a really bad case of the burps, and if you aren't across the line by then it usually gets ugly...
    Resident Gear Guru
    Bike Crash Free Since August 4th, 2014
  • Options
    @rrheisler you are the man, thanks!

Polletta ~ TRS West

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I've never done a beer mile, but I know that shaving my entire body really helped me get primed for my A race this year, so I think you should try that.
    ADRBillyyournotunique

• Options
    @James hahaha 

Polletta ~ TRS West

• Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I personally find the belching does help, just don't go crazy with trying to force it, rather use the first 50-100m to work up to your lap speed.  Popping a few tums about an hour or 30 min before has also helped me to keep the beer from coming back up.  Pace yourself!!  Just like in a regular race if you go out too fast you will screw yourself for the final lap, but it's even more so the case with the beer mile.  Do a practice run if you can, so your body isn't shocked when you slam 4 beers and run your ass off.  Try to keep the beer drinking down to under 15s per can, this is where people lose time, not on the actual run.  Use the "transition zone" to walk while drinking the beer, keeps you moving forward.  Have fun and have someone record the event as you will likely be hammered about 5s after you finish :)

http://www.beermile.com/rules
    HMkrplunkit
  • Options
    Ryan HeislerRyan Heisler Member
    edited December 2014
    I highly recommend pulling a Jesse Thomas and running in your aero suit.
    _MurMan
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    There's loads of debate about whether he has the real record or whatever, but he gives away lots of good tips and is freakin' fast.

HSeeley14
    #KOAT
  • Options

There's loads of debate about whether he has the real record or whatever, but he gives away lots of good tips and is freakin' fast.

was this not certified by the Beer Mile folks?
    WTC Free since 2010

• Options
    Aaron WebsteyAaron Webstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I dunno, I thought I saw something on twitter about the BMWC winner being the real record holder or something.
    #KOAT
  • Options

Kelly Lentz
    TRS Canada Chapter
    Please direct all complaints to James Lange

• Options
    @Jason41 I can send you my lucky jorts...Belch if you can and make sure your beer is cold.
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    Drink fast, run fast.
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

I dunno, I thought I saw something on twitter about the BMWC winner being the real record holder or something.

Nope, record holders are listed here http://www.beermile.com/records

and while the current BMWC winner is one fast mofo, there are several others who are a little faster, although some are "unofficial"
  • Options
    Yeah, I know beermile.com for sure says he's the champ. But I guess the BMWC organizersorganizers must want to lay claim to the record-vetting process? Either way I don't think anyone cares. Dude is fast.
    Jason41HSeeley14
    #KOAT
  • Options

and he's from Northern California (aka TRS West territory).

Coincidence? I think not.

seems like kind of an asshole =)

• Options
    I used to think that the beer mile times were impressive until I watched that video.
    Do you all do it with tiny cans?
    In the UK you can't even buy cans that small, we drink properly....

"I only do triathlons as the cycle/run are a good warm down after the swimming race...." - James Cooper

• Options
    9:18 beer mile. Day after a Christmas party. I'll take it. Thanks for the tips all!
    James LangeRyan Heisler

Polletta ~ TRS West

• Options
    @Jason41 Nothing wrong with that. Well done!

• Options
    RadowiczRadowicz Member
    edited December 2014

I hear strong generics help

TRS EAST COAST PLAYA

• Options
    @Jason41 anything under 10 mins is a very good first attempt. How were the splits? The key is sub 10 second beers.
    Resident Gear Guru
  • Options
    I was running pretty close to 6:30 pace when I was running, so my beer somsumption needs some work.

Polletta ~ TRS West

• Options
    @Jason41 Don't know if you do the whole new year's resolution thing, but "my beer somsumption needs some work" sounds like a great start to a solid resolution.

• Options
    haha somsumption!  new word!  love it.

Polletta ~ TRS West

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch