frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Cold weather make heart rate skyrocket!?

Does anyone have experience with cold weather making your heart rate stay really high when running?

I just got in from a run in 35° F. My heart rate seemed to stay about 10 beats higher than its regular rate at the same pace or slower when warmer out side. I was nice and bundled though.

Please don't tell me "I have no experience with this because it is warm as shit where I live" (:|
HMKP

Comments

• Options
    One of the issues I have is that in cold weather I don't sweat as much and have trouble getting the heart rate monitor to make a good connection.  I'll end up with extremely high spikes and or periods of time, usually at the beginning of the run where the rate is off the chart.  10 beats higher across the board could be many things, cold/sickness coming on, tiredness are the first things I think of.
    WTC Free since 2010

• Options
    Ah! @WadeCutter or cold sickness leaving, probably! I've had a fever almost all this week. Because lack of sweat is not the issue haha
    HMKP
  • Options
    Try making sure the strap is wet or has some of that gel stuff to conduct the current from chest to strap to watch...the air is dryer which can also affect your HR or the connection.
    village idiot
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I have one of my three heart rate straps that spikes really bad early on when the batteries about to go out. Outside of that out ask are there any things going on in your life right now that would induce extra stress on the body such as a cold or something in your life. That sounds more likely than the temperature outside.
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    I find the opposite to be true, but I live in FL and don't really run in temps THAT cold. May sound gross by when I use my HRM I add a little saliva to the connections before putting it on. If you're not a cheap bastard like myself there is some gel you could buy that would do the same thing

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I ran today in 32° temps, and my HR was higher, but I ran harder than normal, so not necessarily due to cold temps. Sorry.
    AaronWebstey
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |
  • Options
    The heart rate spikes are due to static electricity building up between you and your polyester shirt before it becomes damp with sweat.  As others have mentioned, adding some saliva or conductive gel to the pads will help to clarify the signal.
  • Options
    I wont tell you that is 72 degrees in Miami. I promise I wont.
    Duckies
    Dr. Jocy - TRS EAST Bitches!
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I used to run in cold weather a lot (down to -20C or so) and I never noticed any anomalies with my hr. Nowadays I have a treadmill because I am old and afraid of slipping on ice and breaking a hip.

• Options
    Screenshot_2014-12-21-11-28-22

@drjocy me, neither.
    drjocy
  • Options
    Screw you all.

40 miles on the bike this morning and it never topped 32F.
    DuckiesHMkrplunkit
  • Options
    @MorganStyer how do you do it?
    village idiot
  • Options
    XOo6c

Just for you, @MorganStyer
    morganstyerRyan Heisler
  • Options
    espej09 said:

@MorganStyer how do you do it?

Lots of layers, chem pack toe warmers, hot apple cinnamon Skratch in an insulated bottle, and a scalding hot shower when I get home.
    HMkrplunkitPreachSwansonDuckies
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I also had some fucked-up stuff happening with my HR on my run today. Temp wasn't super cold for a run, around 32F maybe, and I had a warm jacket on and was sweating like a teenage boy watching Porky's.  Spikes were happening even (especially, in fact) at the end, when I was most soaked.  

Any advice?  I just changed the battery last week, but the strap and transmitter are very old (like 2006 maybe?).
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey , you are probably due a new HR strap. I use a Garmin 310xt with the soft Polar strap (per recommendation from DC Rainmaker site).  Never could get the garmin strap to work very well.  I got about 3 years use from my previous Polar strap.
    AaronWebstey
    WTC Free since 2010

• Options
    I'm also a cold weather, tough runner like the others in the chat thread, and I get the same messed up readings.  I think it has to do with all the things people are talking about . . . lack of sweat to get a good connection as well as the multi-layers of loose clothing which messes it up in some way too.  

I did get one of those new monitors that has the basic front connection points as well as another one on the side of the monitor. Does anyone find that gives a better reading? 
    Brinz - TRS East - Boston Chapter
  • Options
    But I was soaked in sweat and had a cotton tank on under the bundles! Also my hr monitor is essentially brand new (got it in May). I have had a fever this week so I'm thinking it was that.
    HMKP
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @WadeCutter yeah, I've thought about going the DCR route and I guess maybe I'll pull the trigger on that now. Thanks!
  • Options
    yes, below 50-60F, HR rises like it does when it's hot.
    AaronWebstey
    adam - trs west
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @adubclub I first thought you might be naked in your profile pic, with a really terrible shorts tan line, but even better than that you are wearing a full body suit of the body - kudos to you sir. Ever race in that thing?
  • Options
    I have no experience with this because it is warm as shit where I live
    seems like kind of an asshole =)
  • Options
    @hseeley14 i have run around boston in it but not raced in it yet. i did wear my spandex tuxedo in a tough mudder. this year i intend to have fun. we'll see.
    HSeeley14AaronWebstey
    adam - trs west

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch