frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Indoor Trainer

Hey Team,
Santa bringing me a new trainer to pass away the snowy months. Can anyone comment on good or bad experiences they have had with certain brands/trainers or make any good recommendations?  Thanks!   

Brinz - TRS East - Boston Chapter

Comments

• Options
    A Kurt Kinetic with the heavy flywheel will put a hurtin' on you and is pretty darn quiet while doing it.
  • Options
    _MurMan_MurMan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I have a Cylco Ops Fluid 2 trainer I use sparingly cause I hate riding a stationary Bicycle as much as I hate the Treadmill... but I would recommend it as it is relatively quiet and has a good range of resistance. Its about $350. but you might be able to find one at REI on sale now and you get your 10% back if you're a member. So its a pretty good deal! @Brinz

Sean Murnane - East Coast Hooligan

• Options
    Something in the fluid department. I have 2 cycleops fluid 2 trainers. they rock! Although I have read really good things about the Kurt Kinetic road machine...

village idiot

• Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @MorganStyer is spot on... I have the Kurt Kinetic road machine and it has a great resistance and feel... I play training videos on my laptop without extra speakers and hear everything just fine.  It is a respectable price point and after many snowy winters I am still using the thing.  

That said, training on a bike indoors is a form of Hell on Earth that can rot the human soul, make sure it is worth it if your going to do it.
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    i have a computrainer and love it, if I had to buy one at retail then i have heard the kickr is great.  
  • Options
    HSeeley14HSeeley14 Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Kurt Kinetic - so good that we bought two!  It is super quiet and very stable.  Easy to set up and transport say if you want to bring it to your local outdoor pool and be one of THOSE dbags.
  • Options
    @HSeeley14 have never seen that before... but with that emphasis I assume you have seen this on more than a couple occasions? lol Also who in their right mind rides a trainer outside? (unless its for a race warm up of course) 

• Options
    @_MurMan sadly yes, I have seen the trainer on the pool deck set up several times.  I honestly had a hard time focusing on my swim workout because I couldn't stop rolling my eyes and shaking my head at the two douches side by side on their trainers.  This was no race warm up, they had created their own mini triathlon and post pool deck trainer ride they went into the gym area and ran on treadmills.  This was an outdoor pool.  It was a lovely sunny day.  There are no limits to what idiots will do.
  • Options
    @HSeeley14 I commute to and from base a lot and stop in the gym to shower before going to work and it blows my mind to be walking out and see people park their cars to go in the gym and run on a treadmill or worse yet dick around on an elliptical  for 30 minutes... I get it for those people that can't put up with the snow and rain and still wanna get a work out but when its nice aka Mid March and into early October and they do it, I am baffled. If no one saw you doing it then it didn't happen I guess.

• Options
    As every one pointed out, either fluid trainers are good (Kurt Kinetic or Cyclops Fluid 2 which is what I have). With respect to noise, both will generate almost the same amount of noise which is fine for people living next door but NOT FINE for those living underneath you. I ended up spinning in my garage port so that I don't wake up people.

One issue that happens every blue moon is the tires wearing out. I find that the trainer specific tires last longer and don't get a flat until the end of their life time. Now that I have more cash, I'm considering getting a trainer that doesn't require a rear wheel (only cause I like the trainer for anything shorter than 90mins).

TRS West

• Options
    @_MurMan I hear yah.  There is a time and place for the treadmill and trainer and I love both for specific workouts, but I have never understood those people that aren't willing to head out and ride or run in the rain.  What if it rains on race day?  Uh oh, it's fucking raining on race day!  Guess that's it for me, heading home.
  • Options
    I do most of my rides on a computrainer through trainerroad, either their workouts or Sufferfest. With little kids I end up riding at 4 or 5am so it gets the job done, hell or not.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input on this, sounds like its KurtK or the CycleOps . . . and by the way @HSeeley14, laughing my ass off imaging the dbag lugging his trainer out onto the pool deck! Classic.

Brinz - TRS East - Boston Chapter

• Options
    yournotuniqueyournotunique Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Have, and love, my KK trainer. That said, if I had the money, I'd buy a Kickr in heartbeat.
    HMkrplunkit
    -I know it's wrong. Blame old AOL character limits. Illadelph |

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch