frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

WTS Gold Coast: American Women Sweep; Brownlee Executes | TRS Triathlon

SystemAdminSystemAdmin Administrator
edited April 2015 in Articles

imageWTS Gold Coast: American Women Sweep; Brownlee Executes | TRS Triathlon

Located on the east coast of Australia in southeastern Queensland, Gold Coast is the third stop for the 2015 ITU World Triathlon Series.   This might be the only Australian city to host a 2015 WTS race series this season, but that doesn’t mean the races weren’t filled with superstars.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Great to see Atkinson finish in the top 10 - not sure what we was thinking hitting the run so hard in the first few KM though...!
    Jason LentzkeAaron Webstey
  • Options
    @danielok, right?! Atkinson has balls of steel for trying to hang on, that must have been a painful blow up.

I was hoping to see long course cycling-axe, Phil Graves, bridge up to the front group. He wasn't able to and the just shows how hard Brownlee and co. were riding. 
    Aaron Webstey
  • Options
    AndrejAndrej Member, Pro Triathlete
    Graves is chasing domestique spot for Rio. If he pulled Mola, Gomez and Murray to the front, then he could once again focus on his long distance career
    Jason LentzkeAaron WebsteyJason Pedersen
  • Options
    Jason PedersenJason Pedersen Member, Pro Triathlete
    Great write up of the races. It is nice to read an account of how the race actually unfolded, rather than reading timing splits.

I disagree on the "uneventful" swim in the men's race. The swim is what made the race! Varga was out like a torpedo and gapping the group rounding the first buoy. It looked to me like he slowed down just a bit to let someone (Johnny) get back on his feet. The pace was still so high, however, that we saw a gap behind those four front guys after just one lap. When you consider that the next bunch included Tommy Zaferes, Ben Kanute and Javier Gomez, and they STILL got dropped, you realize that the front group had a very special swim yesterday. I heard that Varga was actually zig-zagging in sections in hopes to break up some of the group behind him. It worked! Varga is playing chess and everyone else is playing checkers.
    Jason LentzkeAaron WebsteyJames Lange

Professional Triathlete
    twitter: @jasonpedersen
    instagram: @jpbjorn
    web: http://www.runpd.com

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I can't imagine throwing down a 29:44 10k and only taking 5 seconds off a guy who did so much work on the bike. Jonny's un-fucking-believable.
    Jason Lentzke

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @Jason Pedersen I think that Varga was used and abused by Brownlee, but in the end it will be good for him. He's consistently 1st out of the water and the bike, and eventually that run will improve. One race this year he'll pull it together and podium.
    Jason Lentzke

• Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @James Lange I can't imagine throwing down a 29:44 10k... could have stopped right there :-)
    Jason Lentzkeyournotunique
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    @jameslange That lead group was putting time into the chasers until Polyanskiy went down. If he stays up, that lead group might have got to ~1 minute up instead of 25 seconds. Varga was only 32 seconds out of 10th which is pretty much his career best. Johnny may have whipped him but it was probably in both of their best interests.
    James Lange
  • Options
    @Jason Pedersen I was wondering what was happening on some parts of the swim. There were a couple times on the broadcast it looked like Varga was swimming off course. At least once the commentators chalked it up to the current but this actually seems more plausible to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch