frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Pacing Long distance Rides

StruangStruang Member, POTM
edited July 4 in Main

Can I draw on the accumulated wisdom of those of you who do/have done long endurance rides?

I'm due to take part in Wales in a Day in a fortnight which will be the longest ride I've ever attempted. Its a hilly 185 miles (ish as the organisers are currently figuring out how to reroute us round a road closure)

For Ironman's I've always targeted about 70% FTP and then achieved some random number with no relation to my target!

I think to survive 185 miles I need to take pacing a bit more seriously, so looking for advice on what my plan should be.

M_WareMartin

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited July 5

For the first hour, I generally go out at 90% FTP (which is probably more like 110% since I haven't changed it since losing 20% of my fitness over the last five years), blowing past 120% on the hill primes, then soft pedal the next five or six hours, filling my bottles with the leftover drips of warm Gatorade and water bottles at the roadside, and sucking what little liquid is left in the watermelon rinds left behind at the aid stations by people that are smarter than me...

That said - will you be riding in a pack? (I know Wales is ridiculously hilly, but this held for me on a fondo with a lot of climbing.) Because if you can find a pack where you are around 60% in the pack, 70-80% while taking pulls, you can probably ride for as long as your chamois holds out.

StruangCraig_D
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

Easy. Seriously easy. 60% FTP would be a beast of a ride for 12 hours (430 TSS). For my long endurance rides like that, I never once look at the power meter and just ride at what feels very relaxed. And a rate where you would be able to eat a proper meal. Like, a pie. Seriously, it should feel that easy. Plus, over that length of time, you should actually be eating something along the lines of a pie...

If you must pace, really try not to exceed 60% for the first few hours and see how you feel. As @Martin wrote, find a group, chat it up and enjoy the ride.

MartinStruangAaronWebsteyTad_M
  • Options

Yeah, listen to @KHilgendorf. Like I mentioned, I do tend to blow up on these. But on a hilly course you're likely to end up higher than you want, even in a group.

Struang
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

Honestly, you shouldn't listen to me, you should be asking @A_drizzle

MartinM_WareAaronWebstey
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

You need @ItsShug to crew for you. He made burgers for stops at Dirty Kanza a few years ago!

AaronWebstey
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options

@M_Ware said:
    You need @ItsShug to crew for you. He made burgers for stops at Dirty Kanza a few years ago!

Even if budget allowed, there's the small problem of travel restrictions to fly him in for the weekend, unless I make a donation to the Conservative party at which point it appears I can get the rules changed

M_WareAaronWebsteykjrunninCraig_D
  • Options

If anyones curious how this goes, there's livetracking available here
    https://live.opentracking.co.uk/wiad21/

I'm number 306

MartinM_WareJennifer PostAaronWebstey
  • Options

@Struang Good luck! I have stood on the shore in Clevedon and been told Wales was just across the way, but I am an ignoramus and did not realize quite how big it was! This looks like a bucket list ride for me.

M_WareAaronWebstey
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

I’m ringing the Rooster bell for you!

StruangAaronWebstey
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited July 18

wow, I got confused. The finish flag says 24 July....
    Heck of a long ride @Struang . How was your pacing and energy?
    Quite an effort! Congrats.

AaronWebstey
    visit Michigan July 20th to 25th 2022 - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

@Struang Congrats on your finish!!

Tad_MM_WareAaronWebstey
  • Options

So I ignored every piece of advice you all gave!

Ended up on my own plodding through.

I'd love to claim that finding myself alone, I devised a new plan and stuck to it, but instead I went with the well tried tactics of JFDI!

It was a long hot day in the saddle, depending where you look it was 24-33°C, realy struggled with that on the long climbs as most had no shade. A group of us from my Tri Club were doing it, 40 started 36 finished. When we met for breakfast this morning there were various tales, the guy who turned a corner on a hill and exclaimed "You can fuck right off!" Seeing there was another steep climb, or the lady who got half way up a 2 mile climb and vented "It's too hot for this shit!" (I think I said/did the same thing much earlier in that climb).

M_WareMartinJennifer PostJames LangeTad_MAaronWebsteykjrunnin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch