frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Covid

wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
How's Covid in your area. We're ticking up here in RI but I think we've only had 13,000 total cases so far. Our governor just implemented a 24 day quarantine if you live with someone who has covid and you are negative. So if someone is positive they have to quarantine for 10 days, as well as the negative person. After 10 days the covid person is free to go out. The negative person is still supposed to stay home for 14 more days.

We had an outbreak at work 2 weeks ago. Women's sister ended up having it and she was working for 2-3 days, at the office, before her sister found out. About 5 people all working around this women's cubicle got it. My father got it, 75 no symptoms all week. 2 women got it, 30's but really overweight, one has asthma, other is pre-diabetic and high blood pressure. Asthma one had no symptoms at all. Pre-diabetic one had some chest congestion but nothing to serious. Was really worried about these two with the pre-existing conditions. Not sure if we got a mild case of it but everyone seemed to do okay for the 10 days.

My cousin works at the largest local hospital. About 3 weeks ago said the hospital didn't have many cases. Haven't talked to him since. My other cousin runs a hospital outside of Orlando. They don't have many cases either. Interesting listening to the media then talking to people in the hospitals. I get I'm only talking to people in 2-3 hospitals but I feel like the media loves this hype the issue.
Back in the summer, when Florida was looking like one giant Covid case, my cousin came up for 2 weeks to stay at my Uncles. We went to see him. I asked how he could be up here with the hospitals being overrun with cases. He said Orlando hospitals were pretty full (about 1 hr away) but his hospital and a couple close to him didn't have 1 case. But listening to the media you would think every hospital was overflowing.

Just received an alert on my phone, governor has put a curfew in place 10-5am.

There was just a statistic out last week. 98,000 kids in school 326 positive cases. 53,000 kids remote learning. 327 positive cases. Most of the state is in hybrid learning. Kids go to school part time, home part time. Hoping they go back full time soon.

Not sure how much more the local economy can take. Lots of restaurants have already shut down. Others have been hanging on but colder weather is coming so outdoor dining is going to be ending soon and with the restrictions the governor is starting to make, not sure how many more will have to close.
AaronWebstey

Comments

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Nova Scotia is at 65 total deaths, 20 active cases, and 3 new cases yesterday. Exposure warning if you were at local bar The Bitter End on Nov 2; area douchebags flocking to hospitals for testing. Our numbers have been very good but this past week is a bit of a wake up call for everyone.
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    I'm in Montreal, it's bad and there are idiots. My gf is an ER nurse and it's been a shit show since late March.
    MartinCraig_DAaronWebstey
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I’ll contradict the very photogenic Governor of South Dakota and say that things here are a dumpster fire. Our county has a population of ~19,000 and as of today 19 COVID related deaths have been reported. One of those was a 60 year old man who was not overweight and had no known risk factors who worked with Dave.

Craig_DAaronWebstey
    Keeper of the Cowbell
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited November 8
    This is my county... just my county! And the second graphic is just my zip code but total cases for all time. 13 per 1000 is a high infection rate I guess, but look how tough we are locally. No deaths!

M_WareCraig_DAaronWebstey
    visit Michigan July 7th to 11th - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited November 9
    I'm a few blocks from @Matt. It went from huge numbers in seniors home and big death counts to quiet, now the numbers are higher than ever but fewer deaths. I know a few people who have had it, which was not the case in the first wave. Varying degrees of severity, from 24-hour type flu to months later, still we'd y and no sense of taste.

I like the taste of food and wine too much, and have enough years left to want to avoid the severe potential side effects, to not take it to seriously. I do miss my masters swim team, though. And my out of province family. Also have a friend with cancer, and trying to get together with them has been challenging, and now requires testing and isolation.
    M_WareAaronWebsteyMatt
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Hey @Martin and @Matt , and @M_Ware and @wchevron - so truly sorry. Thank you for keeping yourselves and others safe.
    MattCraig_D
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
    Matt said:

I'm in Montreal, it's bad and there are idiots. My gf is an ER nurse and it's been a shit show since late March.

Is it a shit show because the hospital is overrun and not enough PPE for everyone or other reasons? And if that was the case in the spring, has it been that way until now or did it taper off.
    And how are the surrounding areas? Like I mentioned above, in Florida this summer it was a mess, In 2 cities. Once you got out of those cities it wasn't bad at all.
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Here in Alberta things seemed ok but they're going south now. In the spring we were shocked when cases hit 50/day, but today we had 644 cases and no one really seems too concerned. A COVID fatigue is real. The most frustrating thing for me personally has been that my company has had us back in the office 3 days a week (for literally no real benefit) and we've had cases in the past 4 weeks. At least I have a job though, so no real complaints from me.

• Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Here's an overview of Washington state. We recently started seeing over 1,000 confirmed cases daily. Those of us that have been lucky enough to keep working from home since March don't expect to be back onsite until at least July 2021 based on guidance from the big local employers.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/coronavirus-daily-news-updates-november-9-what-to-know-today-about-covid-19-in-the-seattle-area-washington-state-and-the-world/
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    wchevron said:

Matt said:

Is it a shit show because the hospital is overrun and not enough PPE for everyone or other reasons? And if that was the case in the spring, has it been that way until now or did it taper off.
    And how are the surrounding areas? Like I mentioned above, in Florida this summer it was a mess, In 2 cities. Once you got out of those cities it wasn't bad at all.
    Not enough PPE at first, ut once May rolled around then they didn't have to reuse N95s for 4 consecutive shifts.

Now we've got burnout, sick leave (those Health Care workers who got COVID-19) and chronic understaffing (30+ years) in the ERs and tons of people who get triaged for minor issues, clogging the system because they dont have access to a regular family doctor .
    Oh, and all nurses' Summer vacations were cancelled in May, and their hazard pay was stopped in July.

Montreal was the worst hit in Canada, mainly due to our Spring Break was 1 week earlier than everyone else and we have a concentration of old people in homes, where the conditions are... not good.
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I'll echo @James Lange 's assessment. Alberta did a good job in the spring but I suspect people are getting tired of things and are saying screw it. I spent the summer in a plant shutdown that turned into a total disaster due to reasons other than the virus. No Covid cases directly related to the outage but a few around the periphery. 2500 people wandering around that site in the heat of the summer had everyone on edge. I spent 5 weeks trying to enforce contact tracing rules with people outside my group. Now it's starting to take hold and all that is in place is "voluntary measures". Our Premier also decided this was a good time to pick a fight with health care workers, Doctor's, and nurses to boot.
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    Toronto, which is roughly the size of Chicago, just announced that restaurants and bars are closed for another 28 days. Office Xmas parties will be 'Drink alone on Zoom', so expect lots of accidental nudity.
    MattJennifer PostTad_Mkjrunnin
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Speaking of Chicago, indoor dining and bars are officially closed. I think the positivity rate in Cook county was 11.3% last week, with huge upticks in overall cases. As expected, people are getting itchy for social interactions and not obeying recommendations.
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    edited November 12
    Martin said:

Toronto, which is roughly the size of Chicago, just announced that restaurants and bars are closed for another 28 days. Office Xmas parties will be 'Drink alone on Zoom', so expect lots of accidental nudity.

@Martin a statement like that is normally followed by a Zoom link.
    Waiting patiently...
    Martinkjrunnin
    visit Michigan July 7th to 11th - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Tad_M said:

Martin said:

@Martin a statement like that is normally followed by a Zoom link.
    Waiting patiently...
    Been looking for an excuse to break out the budgy smuggler... let me loop in with our web overlord and see what we can come up with.

Tad_M

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch