frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Simon Whitfield Gold Medal 20th Anniversary

MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
https://www.cbc.ca/sportslongform/entry/cbc-sports-oral-histories-simon-whitfield

I like to think that @AaronWebstey 's IT support for Simon helped him win this gold medal.
M_WareAaronWebstey

Comments

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Lol, I just came here to post this! What a great memory, and it's awesome to hear Shepley's voice again! I'd love to see one of these for the 2008 race as well. That was such a wicked race with Simon falling way behind, surging ahead, and then being caught by Frodeno.

Also reminded me of the e-terview I did with Simon back in the TRS Triathlon days (over 5 years ago now!). It was so cool to be exchanging e-mails with him and he was such a good sport.
    MartinM_WareMattAaronWebstey

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    It was one of the greatest moments in our sport (for Canada at least) and I missed most of it, drunk and walking to a house party. Got there just in time to see the finish and get my socks knocked clean off.
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @AaronWebstey I agree that the 2000 race is an iconic Canadian sports moment, but in a lot of ways I actually think back on the 2008 race more fondly just because of how it played out. Looked like he was dropped and going to finish 4th, then all of a sudden he surges and is going to win, then Frodeno comes out of nowhere for the win and Whitfield gets an unexpected silver. Such an amazing race.
    AaronWebsteyMatt

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

@AaronWebstey I agree that the 2000 race is an iconic Canadian sports moment, but in a lot of ways I actually think back on the 2008 race more fondly just because of how it played out. Looked like he was dropped and going to finish 4th, then all of a sudden he surges and is going to win, then Frodeno comes out of nowhere for the win and Whitfield gets an unexpected silver. Such an amazing race.

Definitely the more exciting one from a regular racing perspective as opposed to a "Holy shit we might get a medal in the summer Olympics??" one. And a far more memorable event for me - I watched it on a big old 50" tube TV that we got for cheap in our first house together. I was a year past my final ITU race and probably 2 years beyond finally accepting that I was never going to be even close to going to Beijing, and it was the first race I'd watched since hanging em up. It blew my fucking mind.
    wchevronCraig_DTad_MJames Lange
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    Good on you for having that dream @AaronWebstey. The rest of us wish we could even conceive of that thinking. So cool. Sworry it didn't materialize for you, but just having the dream in a legit mindset is amazing.
    AaronWebsteyCraig_D
    visit Michigan July 16th to 20th - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch