frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Running vest or belt

wchevronwchevron Member, POTM
What does everyone wear on their long runs, if anything. Talking on the road, not trails. Been using a 3 bottle Fuel Belt for my long runs. Ends up sliding around until the water bottles are resting on one hip then seems to stay in place and is comfortable. Once I've emptied one of the bottles, I can slide it back so they are behind me and it stays in place.

Was thinking of a vest but don't have any experience with them. I've seen one or two people with them on the road and I think they look out of place. But I think that's because I've always viewed them as a trail running piece of equipment.
Craig_D

Comments

• Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I use a 2 bottle fuel belt which also shifts around. I added a fanny pack from an old fuel belt and I use that to put gels and sometimes my phone. A vest would work well I think, so long as it wasn't bouncing around too much. I could imagine my nipples being ground right off.
    Craig_D

• Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I made the transition from belts to either holding a single bottle in one hand or wearing my Camelback. They make some pretty sleek ones that are nice. If you want to try before you buy the walmart ones are like $15 to get a feel for them. Chest and waist straps are key.
    Craig_D
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    All I know is the trail ultra folks running my all day race are vest wearers. I think there's a good reason for that. I have the belts and mine slide around also.
    Craig_D
    visit Michigan July 16th to 20th - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Speaking of a bunch or idiots running around a Michigan lake next month... sworry trials?

To the question: For my long runs, I’d suffer with nothing up to 10 miles, anything longer and I’d either plan a loop around water fountains/well pumps (I done grew up in the country) or if I parked somewhere swing by the car every 4-6 miles. Belts and a vest were never a thing. I did mountain bike with a camelback, and have run with backpacks to an acceptable degree of comfort, so that’s certainly an option.

Now I’m fat, slow and lazy, so I “plan” water stops at every fountain I see, just to get a few seconds breather before trotting off again.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @KHilgendorf , we are certainly still full steam ahead until we are told we are banned. The fact that social distance gatherings of 10 people are now allowed, and the cabins we have secured hold 6 each, I would think things are looking bright for the Sworry Trials.
    The Ode race is a bit more sketchy. Find a way to be here as early as possible on Thursday the 16th, and you won't miss any of the shenanigans.
    visit Michigan July 16th to 20th - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    I used to use a Nathan belt with 2 or 4 bottles. Never tried a vest.
  • Options
    KenElPescadoPeladoKenElPescadoPelado Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited May 29
    Interesting to hear of the belts sliding around. For racing 13.1 or more, I like my 4-bottle Fuel Belt with some added storage. Maybe I've avoided slippage by balancing/alternating which side I drink from. I've also got a 1.5L Camelbak with only a small zipper pocket for keys that feels really invisible. For hikes and some warmer runs with the dogs, I have this pressurized pack that lets me squirt some water to the pups. It holds maybe 3L, similar to the following but not this armored version...jump to 4:50 and they open it up a bit. Or just watch this guy get beat with a baseball bat.
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch