frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Which Hokas for a fat guy?

bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
So this guy I know—who is definitely not me—has started running again after a long hiatus. He's a bit fatter than he used to be, and has come to accept the fact that his fat ass needs more cushioning than he used to. He's currently running in Hoka Cliftons but thinks they don't offer enough cushion for his ridiculously fat ass (his words, not mine).

I—I mean he—needs a shoe for about 50% road and 50% trail. Any suggestions on which pair of Hokas can handle both pretty well and have a fairly plush ride?

Comments

• Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    I - and I absolutely mean I - run in fat guy Hokas and like my Challenger for 50/50 stuff. The other trail Hoka's are a bit more aggressive, but for more aggressive I use my Solomons. The Challenger isn't quite as soft as the other Hokas though, so I'm not really sure how to say this would solve your friend's problem. I will never stop being too large for this stuff, so I'm always happy to answer these questions from a user perspective.....
    visit Michigan July 16th to 20th - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Paging @Robert Rankin

(no offense, I just don't personally use Hokas)
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Hokas always make me think of this.

AaronWebsteyTad_MPevashishDaul
  • Options
    I ran in the Arahi a little post ACL repair having gained a...ahem, a few...pounds while dealing with the injury. It’s a stability shoe, but I had a little extra baggage and two compromised knees and some gnarly overpronation. Worth a try.
  • Options
    As a large human who oscillates between ‘huh might make race weight with a couple months hard work’ and ‘I should probably get off the couch once in a while’ I’ve been super happy with the bondai’s for long runs and cliftons for anything ‘speed’ (????????????????) oriented but honestly all the data shows that appropriate posting for your gait and good core/hip strength will lead to more efficient gait and maximalist shoes aren’t that much different ... but data-shmata I like my old man shoes
  • Options
    toebutt769toebutt769 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    The new Hoka Clifton 6 is really comfortable
    Tad_M
    When keeping it real goes terribly wrong.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch