frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

88km by August?

doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
So I signed up for an ultra trail run. Currently into it for the 47k

I had no intention of ever doing that, but it uses the trails that I grew up in (cape mabou trails and the capes 100 for those interested https://www.capes100.com/)

My issue: The 47k is basically 100% single track in the highlands. My conundrum is that the 88k/162k versions descend into Inverness (where I grew up) and then back up. I'd love to do the 88k, but I don't know if my fitness is ready.

Since breaking my foot in 2017 I went from a 5:50 Half-ironman, 1:48 half marathon, 21:00 5k but haven't broken 25:00 5k since. Have never done a marathon or anything longer than 25km. I kind of had an identity crisis thinking I should be faster, but always get discouraged. Lately I've just been running, no set time/distance, just going, and I'm starting to fall back in love with it. My times right now are slow, around 6:10-6:20/km, but I'm not pushing myself at all. There's a local 5k coming up in 3 weeks and I'm hoping to break 25:00 there.

My current plan is this: Currently I'm 37 weeks out. My goal is to just enjoy running for the next month, even over the holidays. 4-5 runs/week, around 30-35km. After that, with 32 weeks out, I'd like to start a 16 week marathon plan and run it as if I'm running a marathon. Along with that, I'd also like to incorporate a strength plan. At the end of those 16 weeks I'd like to make a decision on either 47k or 88k so I can better prepare. I just ripped up two training plans but will look at a lot more (thinking of pulling the 16 week 80/20 plan from 80/20 running to start). https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/ultra/a774983/16-week-50-mile-ultra-marathon-training-schedule/, https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/marathon/a776459/marathon-training-plans/, https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/cross-training/a28397555/strength-training-plan-marathon-runners/

My logic is to go hard until mid-May and if everything is clicking, prepare as if I'm running the 88k. If I push to hard and get injured then I'll still be way ahead of where I was and still have lots of time to train for the 47k.

So, someone talk me into, or out of, thinking this is a good idea.

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    It's a trail run, so you need to set aside any preconceived notions (or road notions) about how long this will take and how hard it will be. This is basically a very, very long speed hike, and the hardest part will be nutrition and mental. Are you figuring 12-13ish hours for a finishing time?

Anyway, I would never talk you out of something like this. Especially in your neck of the woods.
    M_WareMattP_Cottrell
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Speed Hike is not the same as going for a hike while on speed, right?
    MartinTad_M
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @matt speaking from experience, a speed hike is usually faster than a non-speed hike.
    Matt
  • Options
    Martin said:

It's a trail run, so you need to set aside any preconceived notions (or road notions) about how long this will take and how hard it will be. This is basically a very, very long speed hike, and the hardest part will be nutrition and mental. Are you figuring 12-13ish hours for a finishing time?

Anyway, I would never talk you out of something like this. Especially in your neck of the woods.

It's hard to compare since I haven't done anything, but I have a few friends that have. They finished a less hilly 50k in about 6-9 hours hours and then the next year did a 100k (a little hillier) in 16:30-20 hours. For this race, the cutoff for the 47k is 14 hours, so I shouldn't have any issue. But the cutoff for the 88k is 20 hours, which makes me a bit nervous.

I'm thinking my best plan is to try and get out for back-to-back long runs in May on the same trails the race will be one. Something like a 30k and 20k. If I can do that, then make a decision on where I'm at.
    Martin
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    A road marathon training plan is familiar and comforting, but why not try practicing what will benefit you the most for a trail Ultra right from day 1
    Run at an easy pace, and even with that, walk a minute or 2 every 10 or 15 from the very start of every long run. Plus powerwall all steep hills till you see the.top Extending your time on your feet for these runs, and practicing nutrition exactly as you will try to race of course. You know the long feeding concepts already, and as said above, the 20 hours with a run walk boils down to nutrition primarily. See how the forced walk breaks reduce your overall stress accumulation. You will really know your time on feet potential using the mandatory run walk for both your suggested long back to backs. This will help you decide as well as reducing the injury potential since you've had your bad setback.
    kjrunnindoyoueventribroCraig_D
    visit Michigan July 16th to 20th - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Tad_M said:

A road marathon training plan is familiar and comforting, but why not try practicing what will benefit you the most for a trail Ultra right from day 1
    Run at an easy pace, and even with that, walk a minute or 2 every 10 or 15 from the very start of every long run. Plus powerwall all steep hills till you see the.top Extending your time on your feet for these runs, and practicing nutrition exactly as you will try to race of course. You know the long feeding concepts already, and as said above, the 20 hours with a run walk boils down to nutrition primarily. See how the forced walk breaks reduce your overall stress accumulation. You will really know your time on feet potential using the mandatory run walk for both your suggested long back to backs. This will help you decide as well as reducing the injury potential since you've had your bad setback.

There's plenty of hills to run on where I live, but the trails are difficult to access in the winter. I never really thought of just the aspect of being on my feet for so long but I did take up golfing last summer and like to think I fared pretty well in terms of keeping myself upright during 18 holes.

Our "long run" route includes 2 hills, both with about 80m of elevation. The good news is I'll be training with people that will be doing the 88 or 162 options so there will always be an option of stepping up mileage
    Tad_M
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    @doyoueventribro , I trust you carefully track your beers and shots during your golf rounds?

I'm no mathematician, but I believe that means you are running in mid August. May I suggest a dial-your-distance trail ultra in Holly, MI on July 18th.......... Sounds like a perfect tune up, supported, with nutrition and hydration every 4.167 miles, and lots of drunk people around you so that you can jump right in once you decide your training is complete.
    M_WareAaronWebstey
    visit Michigan July 16th to 20th - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    it is an ultramarathon trail run, nobody cares about time, everybody just parties and enjoys the beauty. Go for the whole thing and have fun, you don't need to go hard, you just need miles in.

if you have any questions let me know, this is all I do know, done lots of trail races and ultra marathons.
    AaronWebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    Tad_M said:

@doyoueventribro , I trust you carefully track your beers and shots during your golf rounds?

I'm no mathematician, but I believe that means you are running in mid August. May I suggest a dial-your-distance trail ultra in Holly, MI on July 18th.......... Sounds like a perfect tune up, supported, with nutrition and hydration every 4.167 miles, and lots of drunk people around you so that you can jump right in once you decide your training is complete.

I would love to. Hopefully one year. That's 2 weeks before tri on the mira though and it's always super busy getting prepared for that. Hopefully one day I can get a proper board together to help out with more stuff.
    Tad_M

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch