frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Penticton Hotels at it again

Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
Ok Roosters I need some solid advice here. I managed to book a room in Penticton for IM Canada next year back in August. The booking was even for 3 days instead of the 5 day minimum that seemed to be prevalent in years gone by. Price was fairly reasonable and I booked through Hotels.com and took the "pay when I get there option". I've done this before through this site for the last 8 years without issue. Today I got a phone call from the hotel basically telling me the reservation / confirmation was invalid because they didn't get credit card info. Funny because the confirmation email I have says the booking is "Guaranteed with Visa # blah blah blah. Anyhow, the manager demanded I rebook through booking.com. I refused to cancel my original reservation and he refused to take my card info, which made me a bit suspicious. Booking.com had the room rate $150 higher than my original booking. I called Hotels.com customer service and told them they needed to sort it out. They really didn't get anywhere with it either. They couldn't get their system to pay for it now without rebooking the room and there were no rooms left to book. They called the hotel back to try to sort it out but they had cancelled the reservation outright by then. Now instead of a 30 min walk to the race start I have a 30 km drive. They managed to get a place that's similar in price but I'm all about the principle of it at this point. Nothing but a cash grab. Kind of pissed off tbh at both Hotels.com and the hotel itself. Anyone run into something like this before? I'm really thinking of starting a campaign against that hotel - BBB complaint, BC Tourism complaint, and BC Hotel Association complaint to start. Might even contact Penticton media outlets about it.
AaronWebstey
Canadian Division

Comments

• Options
    PevashishDaulPevashishDaul Member, POTM
    Yes, I’ve had it happen to me. If you have the energy to be relentless in contacting them they might cave and book at the original rate.

They also might not and there’s not much legally you can do about it unless you want to spend more on the situation than it’s worth.
    Craig_D
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited November 2
    Sorry @Craig_D! At work I sit near one of the people who coordinates travel for our agency. Based on about 6 years worth of trials and tribulations I’ve listened to, I now only book directly with the hotel, not a booking site, not the chain’s 800 number or site, but directly on the phone with the location where I’ll be staying. And I usually use my AARP discount which is sometimes even better than the government rate.
    Craig_DAaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoJennifer Post
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    M_Ware said:

Sorry @Craig_D! At work I sit near one of the people who coordinates travel for our agency. Based on about 6 years worth of trials and tribulations I’ve listened to, I now only book directly with the hotel, not a booking site, not the chain’s 800 number or site, but directly on the phone with the location where I’ll be staying. And I usually use my AARP discount which is sometimes even better than the government rate.

@Craig_D , you can borrow my AARP card. (since we're not eligible for the 40 under 40). Hope you get it worked out, but I'd go straight to the Penticton news and F with the hotel, and the name of the person if you have it. Why not. Ironman and the hotels need some "correction".
    Craig_DAaronWebstey
    visit Michigan July 16th to 20th - The Sworry Trials and Ode to Laz
    https://www.facebook.com/sworrytrials/
    https://www.facebook.com/OdetoLaz/
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    I ended up canceling the new reservation as it’s just more added grief getting back there after. It was literally on the back half of the bike course. I found an Air Bnb closer to transition that I can make work. Spent some time gathering the phone numbers I need for Monday. The proprietor doesn’t care. He got what he wanted. A much higher rate.
    Canadian Division

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch