frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Diet tips

KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
Hey all you doctors out there, both of the legitimate and arm-chair types:
Got my annual physical results back and my cholesterol is absurd for an endurance-type, vegetarian athlete (247 if you're curious). So the doc said to go on a low-fat, low-carb diet. I quipped, "so what the hell can I eat?" And he chortled. That was it. So the question is now tossed to you:

What the hell should I eat? Seriously. I can only eat so many soybeans.
M_WareAaronWebstey

Comments

• Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I’m not a Dr. but I am friends with @A_drizzle. I’m curious to know what your current diet consists of, beer battered deep fried tofurky?

My non-scientific first thought would be to figure out the worst culprits in your current diet and substitute in better choices for those.
    KenElPescadoPelado
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Rip Esselstyn (one of the early, early Ironman guys) has a diet that might help.

https://engine2diet.com/

It's a grind to get into it, but he has a lot of decent recipes.
    Matt
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @M_Ware a big chunk of that is hereditary. On my best of days, my total is pushing 200. I figure I'll stick to whole grains and cut out most refined sugars on the carb side and reduce eggs and whole milk dairy on the fat side. That ought to help with some, but life without cheese and chocolate isn't worth living.
    MartinM_WareJennifer Post
  • Options
    I would seriously consider getting genotyped (23andMe or the like.) There are particular alleles that can actually help guide you in figuring out what type of diet will or will not make a difference in your cholesterol. Same reason why some people respond really well to particular diets and other people don't.

Disclaimer yada yada yada talk to your own doctor...the cardiologists I work with are all scarfing down 200g of raw cruciferous vegetables on a daily basis based on whatever the latest cardiology research is. As far as I know there's little evidence that cholesterol in unprocessed foods (eggs) has a big effect on your cholesterol. Refined sugar, yes. You have to have blood vessel inflammation in order for the lipids to stick to them and sugar (after a lot of complicated biochemical pathways) does that.
    M_WareJennifer PostCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebstey
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I'm 25, am consistently running ironmans and marathons. I have "high" bad cholesterol. Just barely, but welcome to the world of genetics!
    Jennifer PostM_WareKenElPescadoPelado
    Yay Sports! :#
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @khilgendorf Per my doctor, it’s important to look at your LDL vs HDL ratio. My LDL is considered high but my HDL is very high at 70 so that counters my bad LDL number and my ratio is ok. Also, if you can, have your doctor order a test to find out if your LDL is pattern A or pattern B. Pattern A means your risk decreases. As my doctor explained it, pattern A means the cholesterol will less likely cause plaque.

As for diet, my doctor preaches anti- inflammatory so for me (and many) that means reducing sugar and processed carbs. Fats are ok so I eat eggs, full fat dairy, avocado, nuts, etc. I didn’t have to give up cheese. Dark chocolate is ok if
    Cacao % is high.
    M_WareCraig_DKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited September 5
    @KHilgendorf I used to be on statins until I did 2 things - 2 ginger capsules daily and coconut oil in my coffee. Those 2 moves flipped my cholesterol numbers to the point where I could come off them. My family has genetically high cholesterol as well and there was an assumption that "that's how it is". Like @Jennifer Post I cut the carbs as well. I did have a thread going on LCHF if you're looking for more info. It's tough to do being a vegetarian though.

Added thread link
    https://triroost.com/discussion/2479/my-low-carb-high-fat-journey#latest

Canadian Division

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch