frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Sure, Webstey is the KOAT, but...

idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
Has he ever deployed a solution while wearing a speedo? (Please don’t answer that with photos especially if it’s after you retired from pro racing)

For those interested, it uses the sensor to take the temp, writes it to a Google sheet from a little Raspberry Pi, then it’s a pretty straightforward Wordpress plugin to display Google Sheets as a graph.
There is another add-on board that controls the power, keeping an offline clock and powering the whole system on at 6 am and 4 pm every day, coinciding with when my friend’s company starts their open water swim practices. Because the whole system is only on for a few minutes at a time, twice a day, the fact that it’s solar powered and cellular modem isn’t too much of a drag on power consumption and data allowance, though I purposely overshot by a long margin on both, and put about 15 different ways to default the whole thing to turn off rather than stay on.
And, if you’re in the South Jersey/Philly area, I can’t recommend ETA Coaching’s swims enough! It’s a pretty cool thing they’re able to do, AND NOW YOU KNOW WHAT THE TEMPERATURE IS.
http://www.etacoach.com/open-water-swims-and-swim-clinics/
M_WareAaronWebsteyJames LangeMark_after_Dark

Comments

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Very cool! This is the kind of thing my lab does thanks to clever nerds like you.
  • Options
    @AaronWebstey I’m definitely still better as a PM/bigger picture. I didn’t really come up with anything unique myself, just found other examples of each little piece.
    And there are commercial solutions for this, but I couldn’t find anything that existed outside of a walled garden, and I figured out I could build it for less than the cost of any of those commercial solutions.

Anyway, to everybody else, I’m kinda serious about this. If you have a pool, koi pond, etc, or you know a race director/swim coach/tri coach who wants to monitor some small body of water remotely, we can chat. It probably should also work well for soil temp, other things like that. It’ll work for air too, but it’s very finicky about sunlight and being in contact with other stuff, so it’s a little all over the place.How exactly the data gets packaged and displayed is the biggest variation, because you can do most anything with it once it’s in the Google sheet.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    Oh that's neat. This will save me literally minutes leading up to race day from participants messaging, "what's the water temperature" and me responding, "we'll find out 45 minutes before the gun goes off
    AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @doyoueventribro that’s more or less the point, 3 times a week for the whole summer.
    I don’t expect individual race directors who host one race a year in a body of water to want this, but I know what these guys do isn’t terribly unique and there are other group open swims in other small lakes around the country.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch