frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

More Gearing Questions - SRAM specific

RashRash Member
I know nothing about SRAM. I currently have my first SRAM equipped bike (Trek Boone 5 Disc) which has a SRAM Rival 1 medium cage rear derailleur (1x). I have compatible long cage derailleur as well. I plan to go up to a 44 or 46 in the front and run either an 11-36 or an 11-42 in the back. I can run both of those cassettes with the long cage, but only the smaller one with the medium cage.

Let's assume I ultimately decide to stick with the 11-36 which is the stated max for the medium cage and stated min for the long cage - is there any advantage then to going with the long or short? Bike will be used for some gravel and CX if that matters.

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I have nothing to contribute here.

gregk
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited June 12
    Shoter cage. Lighter, and smaller chain length (fewer links) saves you money. Plus the 11-36 has smaller jumps between the cogs so it's better for your cadence.
    Rash
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    What @Matt said.
    But if you want the flexibility, I noticed very little difference in their medium to long cage regarding feel and performance. Like them both. No idea if I'm a dunce when it comes to adjustment, but my SRAM stuff is always smoother and quieter than my Shimano.
    Rash
    visit Michigan Aug. 1-4 - The Sworry Trials
    https://www.facebook.com/The-Sworry-Trials-2194532304133322/
  • Options
    gregkgregk Member
    Rash said:

I know nothing about SRAM. I currently have my first SRAM equipped bike (Trek Boone 5 Disc) which has a SRAM Rival 1 medium cage rear derailleur (1x). I have compatible long cage derailleur as well. I plan to go up to a 44 or 46 in the front and run either an 11-36 or an 11-42 in the back. I can run both of those cassettes with the long cage, but only the smaller one with the medium cage.

Let's assume I ultimately decide to stick with the 11-36 which is the stated max for the medium cage and stated min for the long cage - is there any advantage then to going with the long or short? Bike will be used for some gravel and CX if that matters.

If it was me, or any friend that I was building a bike for, I'd go long cage. You never know what race (or riding vacation) you might do in the future, and the longer cage gives you the option of a larger cassette. But if you already own both derailleurs, and don't mind having to change them later, it doesn't really matter much what you pick now. I just like being able to change cassettes quickly, and have never found a noticeable difference in cage lengths (outside of a tiny bit of weight).

Some gravel rides can have serious climbs, and gear range is your friend. I don't think I've ever regretted having one extra cog that I didn't use... but I have definitely regretted not having enough gear range.
    RashSdog
    The Dude at Minimal Multisport Podcast, Blog, and YouTube.
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter, POTM
    TWSS
    visit Michigan Aug. 1-4 - The Sworry Trials
    https://www.facebook.com/The-Sworry-Trials-2194532304133322/

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch