frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Another Gearing Question

RashRash Member
edited April 15 in Main
I sold the Crux. Now I have a Trek Boone Disc 5 that is the correct size to avoid severe toe overlap (I think, have yet to ride it). Anyway, need to re-think gearing as this will be my gravel/cx bike. On the Crux I had planned to go with a 2x for Gravel then use the 1x for CX, however that was because I had everything I needed to make that work. For the Boone, I have the stock SRAM 1x set up so want to make it work for both gravel and cx with a chainring and/or cassette switch out between seasons (and chain of course). Right now the Boone has a 40T chainring with 11/32 in the rear. This setup up should be fine for CX season. What should I look at for gravel? I typically ride around 90 rpms. Our local gravel is pretty mild (35's are big enough and all my Boone can really take) but it can get very punchy in certain areas. As an example the ride profile from Gravel Worlds Privateer is below which was 6,000+ gain over 74 miles, most of which was concentrated in the middle. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    With the little info you're giving us, I'd say just stick with what's on the Boone and keep it simple for both. To really evaluate, we'd need to know what your goal is for Gravel Worlds, what you're acceptable climbing wattage and RPM are on the steeps, and how much you plan to ride in a fast group on the flats or on paved downhills.

https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

Punch in some numbers and think about what might be best for you. Cost for a single ring or a full cassette will be about the same, but you shouldn't need to fiddle with the RD if you swap the ring.
    Matt
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    Thanks @KHilgendorf - that is a great calc. It's hard to predict how I'll approach GW and if I even do it. Ideally if I do it I will be there to race and see if I can hang in the front packs, but who knows. I just used that profile because that is a good example of the gravel profiles here locally.

I'll ride it as is for now, but if I find myself needing a smaller gear to spin up the hills or a larger one to avoid spinning out on the descents I'll look to make a change. I'll look back and see how many times and by how much I was topping 30 mph last year as I don't recall spinning out much but do recall a few grinds to crest some of the climbs.
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @Rash cycling power/cadence is so subjective that while there is a science behind it all (i.e. you may not be optimized above/below a certain maximal power or cadence) the strongest determinant of what to put on your bike will be down to your personal feel for the situation. Gravel (or CX/MTB) adds one more wrinkle into the mix in that there may be a loss of traction under high-torque applications on the rear wheel - so you would be better served not standing and mashing at 45 rpm on loose dirt - but on pavement that may be your personal style at high grades (it's certainly mine when I get above 10%). Thus you may need that granny gear even if you prefer not to use it.

Basically, get out and ride a bunch of shit, decide what you want to change, and then change it. KISS, man.
    Matt
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
  • Options
    A_drizzleA_drizzle Member
    edited April 16
    My local terrain is similar to that of gravel worlds. This is just my personal preferences as they've evolved over the past 3 years...
    On my older cx bike I used for gravel (now single speeded) - 2x, 46/34. Started out with 46/36 and I could climb everything but was out of the saddle a lot. And I'm a lightweight climber. Building up another "race" bike soon and it will be 2x, w/ similar gearing. For hilly areas, I think 2x is the way to go. With a lot of tire clearance, hopefully.

Drop bar MTB, used for long, long, long stuff and bikepacking - 38T in the front, 11x42 cassette. Spin out some, but frequently fairly loaded down so need the granny gears.
    Rash
    Resident Genius.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch