frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Buying a used bike from Canada

RashRash Member
I Googled it briefly, but figured this little Canadian haven may be able to answer it faster. Anyone know how this would work (i.e. taxes, fees, duties, etc.)?

Buy a used bike from a private party in Canada who would then ship it to me in the US?

Comments

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I can tell you all about the reciprocal transaction, but I've never sold to the US before. @mfougere have you?
    Rash
  • Options
    I did this (found on Pinkbike) with my first CX bike. The only extra fees I had to pay was customs...I set up bike flights for the seller to ship to me, and got a call from a lady in customs. Something about an extra fee if it's a bicycle. If it's not in a bike box you can supposedly avoid that.
    AaronWebsteyRash
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @A_drizzle is there anything you don't know
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    The tariffs, as always, make no sense. If you can have the wheels shipped in a separate box, maybe one day later, you save a stack on duties:

Tariff codes and rates:
    8712.00.00 - Complete Bikes - 13%
    8714.91.10 - Frame lugs, bottom bracket shells, forks, fork tubing sets, fork bearing assemblies, hydraulic shock absorbing cylinders, spring shock absorbers, rear pivots, cable stops, cable guides and back, chain and seat stays - 0%
    8714.91.90 - Frames and forks and parts thereof, OTHER than the above - 5%
    8714.92.00 - Wheel rims and spokes - 0%
    8714.93.00 - Hubs, other than coaster braking hubs and hub brakes plus free-wheel sprocket wheels - 0%
    8714.94.00 - Brakes, including coaster braking hubs and hub brakes plus parts thereof - 0%
    8714.95.00 - Saddles - 0%
    8714.96.00 - Pedals and crank-gear, and parts thereof (I'd put chainrings in here too) - 0%
    8714.99.10 - Bicycle wheels (I'm assuming assembled) - 6.5%
    8714.99.90 - OTHER bike parts - 0%

(Source: https://terminalcityriders.ca/m/articles/view/Importing-Bikes-and-Parts-to-Canada)
    AaronWebsteyRashMatt
  • Options

How to return you to your former athletic glory.
    M_WareCraig_DAaronWebsteykjrunninStruangKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MRash
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    A_drizzle said:

How to return you to your former athletic glory.
    @A_drizzle please screenshot and post in the Savage Takedowns thread. It will be declared the winner. Well done.

M_WareMartinAaronWebsteykjrunninKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    edited January 24
    So the answer is find a different bike (at least in my case). All the hassle and additional costs kill the deal. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    There are some exceptions for US-made goods returning, and for used items under a certain value.
    AaronWebsteyRash
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    Unfortunately, the guy selling this bike is out of his mind on the price. I thought the entire time he was talking CAD, which even when converted was slightly high. Turns out he is talking USD. The used price combined with shipping, duties, etc. makes it pointless. I would just buy a new one and have a warranty.

Oh well, back to endlessly searching for the perfect bike deal to serve as my CX/Gravel/Road all in one.
    KenElPescadoPeladoNHetro

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch