frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Racist drama in my small town

GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
edited December 6 in Main
This has been an ongoing issue for the last year or so at my kids high school. The prior principal was forced to resign because of his racist attitude. We also made national news last year because of racist threats made towards Depauw University students. Now we are on Letsrun because of this bullshit. Click here for link. I also pass at least a half dozen houses with rebel flags on my way to work. I thought I lived north of the Mason/Dixon line. WTF?
Granpa ChookM_WareAaronWebsteySdogJohns622Tad_MJennifer PostToefuzzrangamel

Clay Richard Gasway
King of all Mediocrity

Comments

• Options
    regular_markregular_mark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    I live 2 hours from Canada and the neighbors have rebel flags.
    GasBombAaronWebsteySdogTad_M
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    For whatever reason some Canadians fly the confederate flag too.
    AaronWebsteyGasBombSdogTad_MJennifer PostMatt

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I have the same issue at my local high school that is about 97% liberal. One kid used airdrop to distribute neo-Nazi propaganda during a school assembly. You could almost respect the ingenuity, if it weren't for the message.
    AaronWebsteyGasBombSdogTad_M
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited December 6
    In the south, people of all races fly the confederate flag. I’ve also found its pretty easy to find the true racists down here. There is no behind the back racism like that coach got. The racists down here are pretty loud and proud about it. That said, people are much more welcoming than some think in the south. I live in Hicktown USA too

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

In the south, people of all races fly the confederate flag.

Are you in the South or North RR? I grew up in Virginia, and even went to UVa and proudly do not fly the rebel flag. Now I'm in Michigan, and there is a bit of the rebel flag to be seen. Probably due to Kid Rock..... But I like Kid Rock. It's very strange to see it around here.

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    Is there a reason we're glorifying this symbol as a "rebel" flag?
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    Tad_M said:

In the south, people of all races fly the confederate flag.

Are you in the South or North RR?
    I'm in Florida, right on the Georgia border, but my entire family is from Michigan. I don't personally have one. Just saying you could see one on a parked vehicle down here, and you'd have a hard time stereotyping the driver. In Michigan when I've seen one, it was very easy to guess the type of individual that owned it.

M_WareGasBombTad_M

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Even in very liberal Seattle, all you have to do is leave the city and head out 30 mins to the countryside to see rebel flags. Or just drive by the Boeing factory employee parking lot in Everett. Disgusting assholes.
    GasBomb
  • Options

Is there a reason we're glorifying this symbol as a "rebel" flag?

This is the only rebel flag I recognize.

GasBombNHetroRobert RankinJennifer Postsimonsen77Tad_MJasonMatt
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    NHetroNHetro Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Even in very liberal Seattle, all you have to do is leave the city and head out 30 mins to the countryside to see rebel flags. Or just drive by the Boeing factory employee parking lot in Everett. Disgusting assholes.

On the east side of the state, I see more homophobic NRA Republicans than pure racists despite the large migrant Hispanic population working the farms.

Theres hope though. Have you all watched Martha and Snoops cooking show?
    KenElPescadoPeladoslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @KHilgendorf is your local high school OPRF or has that happened at multiple high schools?
  • Options
    @bbculp yep.
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf I grew up in Oak Park (went to Fenwick though). I don't think that TV show is helping things.
  • Options
    Didn't know there was a show about it. My kids are 4 and 2, so I have a bit of time before they're at OPRF.
  • Options
    @KHilgendorf It's called "America to Me" on Starz. It follows a bunch of black and white OPRF students dealing with race relations. Doesn't make OPRF look good.

Fenwick will only cost $60,000/year by the time your kids are in high school, so there's always that option.
  • Options
    edited December 9
    @bbculp that sounds like a steal compared to sending then to college in my legacy. I predict half a mil for the 4 years by then. I'm certainly not paying 3.8% property tax to turn around and send my kids to private. Also, they're about as white as one can be while still having melanin.
    GasBomb
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    NHetro said:

On the east side of the state, I see more homophobic NRA Republicans than pure racists despite the large migrant Hispanic population working the farms.

Theres hope though. Have you all watched Martha and Snoops cooking show?
    I used to work for Martha back in the day and one day at the offices before the show came out, I was in the restroom and Snoop Dog walked in. I wasn’t quite sure if I’d imagined it or not until another coworker said he was in the office for a meeting ???? Show is pretty funny.
    AaronWebsteyJennifer PostCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoGasBomb
    Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.
  • Options
    NHetroNHetro Member, Rooster Endurance Member

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch