frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Montreal in December

Brew_TriBrew_Tri Member, Rooster Endurance Member
Yo! Traveling to Montreal in a few weeks and have a weekend to spare. Anything I should do? Anything I eat or drink? What do I do? I know there are some big time Canadian bruvs.
Matt
Yay Sports! :#

Comments

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    We don't have anyone from Montreal here do we?
    kjrunninMartinMatt
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Boom.
  • Options
    Martin said:

Boom.

Soooo....that doesnt really help.
  • Options
    slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    edited November 2018
    Omg I know it’s probably on every list imaginable but I highly recommend going to Au Pied de Cochon and eating your body weight in foie gras dishes. I sat at the bar, ordered some wine, then 3 appetizers and 2 entrees. For me.

Bartender “That is entirely too much food.”
    Me “Challenge accepted.”

I finished all of it, then ate my friends entree because he doesn’t eat bacon (don’t bring anyone with you who doesn’t eat bacon or foie gras)

It’s my favorite restaurant in the world. If you want to get an idea of the chef behind it, watch the show Wild Chef on Netflix.

@Matt what are some good Quebec races I can do to have an excuse to come eat my face off at pdc again?
    MattBrew_TriAaronWebsteyTad_MGasBomb
    Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited November 2018
    I am out of town from Dec 1-9. So if you're here after that, I'm down to hang out.

@slickfins_Ryan - you never need an excuse to enjoy PDC.
    It is amazing. I went for my birthday about 6 years ago, and ate an entire pork shoulder topped with Foie Gras. The maple beer was just heaven.

See Martin Picard (PDC's founder & chef) plant the seeds of Lipitor in Anthony Bourdain's arteries.

As @regular_mark asked this exact question last year, my recommendations are in that thread, as are some good points by @yournotunique
    Brew_TriAaronWebsteyyournotuniqueCraig_Dslickfins_RyanStruang
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    My suggestion is to walk around Old Quebec, Rue Saint Pierre area, and find a cozy bar to belly up to.

Brew_TriAaronWebsteyyournotuniqueCraig_DJennifer Postslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    Mark_after_DarkMark_after_Dark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers, POTM
    And if you have a little cash burning a hole in your pocket, Joe Beef will serve you one of the best meals you'll ever have.

Chez Paree is overrated as a strip club. Save your loonies.
    Brew_TriAaronWebstey
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    If you go to Joe Beef, make a reservation now. It typically books up a month in advance.
    Brew_Triyournotunique
  • Options
    Yeah, Joe Beef is booked up so that's a no go. But got a reservation at au pied de cochon or whatever.

MattMartinslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Matt said:

If you go to Joe Beef, make a reservation now. It typically books up a month in advance.

It's already booked through Jan 22nd. You might have better luck at Liverpool House (their sister restaurant, which also offers the Lobster Spaghetti thing that Joe Beef is famous for) using the Dinr app, or lining up for Vin Papillon (their third restaurant, which does not take reservations).

You can still get early tables (5 - 5:30) at Au Pied de Cochon on the Friday or Sunday.

The Sud-Ouest tour would start at Maltehops, a specialty beer store in west Verdun, stop at Blackstrap BBQ for ribs, Social for a cocktail, Street Monkeys for stuffed chicken wings and spring rolls, Wellington Ash for a divey pint, then hit Taverne Sans-Nom in Building 7 in Point St Charles, a historically working class neighbourhood that still has a bit of an edge. Continue along Wellington to St Patrick to the Cote Canal microbrewery, then head east to Old Montreal to Soeurs Grises (not my favourite), or walk or drive the canal up to the Saint Ambroise brewery in St Henri (@Matt's neck of the woods).

From there it's a short hop to the renovated garage that is Grumman 78, a well-known food truck that operates a decent restaurant, the much more casual Tejano burrito place, Tuck Shop (an underrated restaurant on the western end of Notre Dame), twenty-seven random taco restaurants, or you can wander down to the Joe Beef stretch, maybe stopping for a cocktail at the Atwater Cocktail something or other behind FoieGwa. (I'm not hip enough to bother going.)

Alternatively, head up to the Plateau and Mile-End, which are exhaustively documented on Yelp, EaterMTL, etc. Harden your stomach with some smoked meat at Schwartz's or The Main, knock on the door at Big in Japan and enjoy a Japanese whisky or two, the roll through Reservoir, Siboire, Harricana, Vice Versa, etc.

It's pretty hard to go wrong unless you accidentally book an Airbnb in the suburbs.

@Matt what are some good Quebec races I can do to have an excuse to come eat my face off at pdc again?

This: http://traversee.qc.ca/en/
    MattAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Damn! Well that's a lot and thank you for the reco's. Everyone. Even Mark's questionable story book picture. I'll keep you up dates on the trip to get everyone a review of the city.
    MattM_WareMartin
  • Options
    Weird, I am pretty sure I just walked in to Joe Beef on a Friday night and got a table. I was wearing my Youppi costume though.
    MartinAaronWebsteyMattBrew_TriCraig_D
  • Options

Weird, I am pretty sure I just walked in to Joe Beef on a Friday night and got a table. I was wearing my Youppi costume though.

I bet if you wear a pastel Romper you automatically get seated at the corner banquet.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Also, the lobster poutine at La Guarde
    Manger is pretty spectacular. Hit La Banquise for the best regular poutine in the world in my
    Opinion. Also also, get the hot baloney sandwich at Wilensky’s, it’s the best $5CAD you’ll ever spend, and is a great hangover cure, and if you’re visiting Montreal in December you’re probably going to need a good hangover cure. As an alternative, St Viateur in the Mile End has bagels that put NY bagels to shame. Also, if you’re into this- male strippers in Montreal get completely nude, which is forbidden in the States and is therefore quite the novelty.
    MartinAaronWebsteyMatt
  • Options
    Brew_Tri said:

Yeah, Joe Beef is booked up so that's a no go. But got a reservation at au pied de cochon or whatever.

OR WHATEVER? Take that back. PDC is a temple of gluttony. Show it some respect.
    MartinTad_MBrew_TriMatt
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM

hot baloney sandwich

Get out.
    Brew_TriMartinslickfins_Ryan
  • Options

hot baloney sandwich

Get out.
    I feel like the "baloney" sandwich trumps my "or whatever".
    Craig_D
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

Also, if you’re into this- male strippers in Montreal get completely nude, which is forbidden in the States and is therefore quite the novelty.

This brought back some memories... oh to be 17 again and having just moved across the country to go to school.
    wchevronAaronWebsteyMattTad_MCraig_DGranpa ChookMartinslickfins_Ryan

• Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member, POTM
    @slickfins_Ryan you're in NYC, right? There are definitely clubs in the city with full nude Male performers.
  • Options

hot baloney sandwich

Get out.
    In my defense I cannot spell to save my life. Also I’m usually quasi drunk when I post.
    Brew_TriAaronWebsteywchevronCraig_D
  • Options

@slickfins_Ryan you're in NYC, right? There are definitely clubs in the city with full nude Male performers.

Show me one and I’ll give you $5. (Canadian)
    kjrunninAaronWebsteyCraig_D

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch