frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Anyone have a coach that they really like?

slickfins_Ryanslickfins_Ryan Member, Rooster Endurance Member
I’m contemplating using a coach for 2019. I’ve only done very general training plans for longer distance training, never worked with a coach to really talk about goals / dialing in my workouts, etc.

Open to suggestions if anyone has any!
Maddie_McKGasBombGranpa Chookfyrehaar
Kind of wish I was Canadian. Sorry.

Comments

• Options
    Maddie_McKMaddie_McK Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    In the same boat. Also curious about how much normal people are willing to spend for coaching. I probably won't be springing for the one-on-one with Matt Dixon for $1500/month.
    Granpa Chookslickfins_RyanSdog

• Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @Brew_Tri is a pretty fast guy and I think he is with AJ. This may also include beer mile advice. Not much else to add other than Kristian Manietta with TRI Specific. I paid $350 for an IM plan that I really like. Does one on one too. Had my fastest ever 70.3 using the IM plan.
    Martinslickfins_RyanBrew_Tri
    Canadian Division
  • Options
    Had some pretty awesome results working with Ryan McCready on AJ's crew over 2 seasons. He organizes the AJ Baucco Coaching camps, and has enough tricks up his sleeve to make lean, mean racing machines out of athletes with far more ability and talent than I'll ever have.
    KuchGasBombslickfins_Ryan
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Caitlin Glenn-Sapp with Crew Racing gets great result, plus she an awesome physical therapist and costs are low for what you get.

http://www.crewracing.org
    slickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Liz Cullen or Christine Fletcher with Brite Coaching.
    http://brite.coach/

@Maddie_McK I am a normal person and pay $300 Cdn/month. My last Coach was about half that but the personalization and feedback was absolute shit. I might as well have worked from a generic plan.
    AaronWebsteyGranpa Chookslickfins_Ryan

• Options
    I used the same coach for two Ironman seasons and he got my fat ass through it. Of the three I’ve used he’s the best. In fact, I like him so much I went into business with the guy.

www.BSCMultisport.com

His name is Scott Kubinski.

Another coach I worked with that I learned a lot from was Scott Moser at Further Up the Road Multisport.

I’ve had 4 coaches now, 3 triathlon coaches and currently a cycling coach. I’ve been able to find knowledgeable people to help me for somewhere between $75-$150 per month.
    AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @Zach Miller is a founding partner of the triathln preview show, long-time forum/team member, and endurance coach. Works with a group in the Woodlands. I'm sure he can sort you all out with something.

I'd speak with a few people and find someone who gives you guidance in a manner you respond to. Some people need to be coddled, others whipped (pretty sure that's a few of you on here). Or something in between.

Looking at the fees some people are paying, I'm thinking I should toss my own hat in the ring as a coach. $1500/mo is absurd, unless it includes room and board and squad training.
    AaronWebsteyM_WareGasBombKenElPescadoPeladofyrehaarslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    Zach MillerZach Miller Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited November 2
    Thanks @KHilgendorf

@slickfins_Ryan
    Yes I am a coach, I keep my total athlete count low to provide the same level of service to all my athletes. I also only have one plan as I include everything in that. Coach therapist marriage consultant I do it all! Haha I own a coaching business and we have 4 tri coaches on staff. I am currently accepting clients for 2019 and only have a select few spots left. I coach beginners and kona qualifiers, I like the challenge and thrill with all athletes.

Let me know if you have any questions. My prices are way less then $1500/month.

Also @EmilyCocks is a coach too.

You will find a lot of coaches, I would say pick 3 and have interviews with them and see what prices and stuff mesh with you.
    AaronWebsteyM_WareJames LangeJennifer PostGranpa ChookfyrehaarGrantInSLCTad_Mslickfins_RyanSdog
  • Options
    IanLIanL Member
    Unless you are the type of person that is really excited about experimentation or doing tons of research then a good coach is certainly a good way to keep things honest, find that edge without being stupid about it and make it to the start in one piece. Because if you don't make it to the start line healthy from training, getting through the race hardly matters.

I'm not throwing my hat in the ring as a coach, but I do run coaching locally with totally private plans or semi-custom plans. If you choose a coach that is giving you a plan and doesn't do one on one (that isn't unreasonable based on what you can pay) make sure that the plan is at least based on what your current fitness levels are and a reasonable amount above to as a goal. This will require at least some amount of discussion back and forth with the coach to get things dialed into your needs.

having the potential to adjust the plan over time as you get more fit, or life changes happen, is also a good thing to pre discuss with a coach.
    AaronWebsteykjrunninGranpa Chookslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    Check us out at http://force-multisport.com/

Our goal is to be an affordable option considering the rising cost of triathlon and we also make sure to strike a balance between having a life and still racing at a high level.

We also coach those whom have moved away a bit from triathlon and are focusing on cycling or running but still wish to blend in the other disciplines on occasion. Shoot me a email if you would like more info Dana@force-multisport.com
    AaronWebsteyfyrehaarslickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    Steve HalewskiSteve Halewski Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I've been working with Katie Ingram for the past year and a half or so and she managed to get me back to racing after a hip injury, PR a bunch of distances, and then get me through the rest of this year after a bike crash and separated shoulder to still race IM Wisconsin. She only has 1 "tier" but it's basically all inclusive. I'd definitely recommend her. https://teamamazingday.com/coaches/
    AaronWebsteyIanLslickfins_Ryan

Steve Halewski
  • Options
    I've been coaching the last 6 years and more before that in other sports. My first advice is to see if you can find a coach in your area with a group that you can see face-to-face on a semi-regular basis for workouts. #realcoaching. That would be ideal. When I had a group of athletes I was working with in person while I was in San Jose it was more beneficial for everyone. I still coach some of them remotely because of the relationships we built while in person. I know it's hard to do depending on where you live but if you can, do that first.

Second piece of advice is to actually get a coach... don't be like Lionel!
    M_WarefyrehaarJennifer Postslickfins_RyanIanL
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete
    Yep. I coach too.

If you want to be like Lionel I can advise you and you can refuse to listen :)
    KenElPescadoPeladoM_WareAaronWebsteykjrunninfyrehaarGrantInSLCJennifer PostrangamelTad_Mslickfins_Ryansimonsen77balsdorf
  • Options
    jrielley1406jrielley1406 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Jonathan Caron has been my coach for the last 4 seasons with great success. Great workouts and feedback anytime I need it. And he’s a nice Canadian guy too! So if he ever forgets to add a workout in one day he apologizes. But in all seriousness he’s brought me to some amazing improvements and results.
    AaronWebsteyTad_Mslickfins_RyanGranpa Chook
    First year “pro” triathlete and first time dad! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Jonathan Caron has been my coach for the last 4 seasons with great success. Great workouts and feedback anytime I need it. And he’s a nice Canadian guy too! So if he ever forgets to add a workout in one day he apologizes. But in all seriousness he’s brought me to some amazing improvements and results.

I wouldn't put "nice" and Jonny in the same sentence, but I bet he's a great coach!! ;)

(He's my former roommate, did I ever mention to you guys that I lived in Victoria and lived with Jonnyo and raced as a pro?)
    Martinjrielley1406Tad_MKenElPescadoPeladoHMkrplunkitslickfins_RyanGranpa ChookPevashishDaul
  • Options
    jrielley1406jrielley1406 Member, Pro Triathlete

I wouldn't put "nice" and Jonny in the same sentence, but I bet he's a great coach!! ;)

(He's my former roommate, did I ever mention to you guys that I lived in Victoria and lived with Jonnyo and raced as a pro?)
    Well nice for you crazy nice Canadians and us disrespectful Americans is different!

The best moment happened when I was watching an old Ironman recap video while being killed on the treadmill only to see him lead out the swim! That is when I knew I should listen to him. Now only if I could swim like that!
    KenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebsteyslickfins_Ryan
    First year “pro” triathlete and first time dad! So basically freaking out on a day to day basis...
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I've always been self-coached and it's worked out really well. I haven't had quite the same success as Lionel, but I've taken all the money I would have spent on a coach and used it for physio to work on all my injuries, and the injuries have also saved me money by not allowing me to race. So financially it has been a great choice.
    AaronWebsteyMartinkjrunninJennifer PostKenElPescadoPeladoTad_MStruangCraig_D

• Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    When Kirsten Sweetland got into coaching I messaged her right away. I wanted to get opinions/insight on how an athlete with a chronic illness could better manage workouts. At the time I was doing pretty OK (21:30 5k, 46:30 10k, just knocked off a 45:00 PB at 70.3 distance, down to a decent 165lbs).

Her rate was $300/month.

Two weeks later I broke my foot, gained 20lbs, can barely run a 25:00 5k and haven't biked over 60k in a single ride since.

But I do have her phone number, so I got that going for me, which is nice.
    AaronWebsteyjrielley1406Jennifer Postsimonsen77KenElPescadoPeladoslickfins_RyanTad_MMartinCraig_D
  • Options
    Johns622Johns622 Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I love my current coach for triathlon, but next year I'm only planning a half in April. After that, I'm going to focus on just cycling. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    @Johns622 join a cycling team and read up on specificity for the sorts of riding you plan to do.
    Johns622Granpa Chook
  • Options
    @Johns622 x2 on what @KHilgendorf said. Join a group with people better than you and work on improving 1-5 min power, W’, technical skills, etc. It depends on what format you are doing but bike racing put a premium on repeated surges and “recovery” while at solid effort. If you are used to long distance triathlon, which is sub threshold, you may find yourself gone after one surge.
    Johns622
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @James Lange , what are your rates? I'm intrigued.
    AaronWebsteyMartinCraig_D

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    I've been using Mike Plumb at TriPower coaching since 2013. Full disclosure he's one of those "internet coaches" that get looked down upon on that other site. I tend to do okay with just being told what to do, then going out and doing it. I don't really want, or in my opinion need, one on one coaching. His price is reflective of that.
    AaronWebsteyM_WareTad_M

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
    2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @Tad_M I charge 1 tasteful nude per month.
    AaronWebsteykjrunninMartinJennifer PostTad_MCraig_D1_Hot_Pretzel

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers

Where do I sign up
    slickfins_Ryan
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

Webstey, pay the man!
    AaronWebstey

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    Is there anything "taseful" about a nude @AaronWebstey ?
  • Options

Is there anything "taseful" about a nude @AaronWebstey ?

Nope.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch