frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Wear Reflective Clothes

Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!

Comments

• Options
    IanLIanL Member
    I actually hate that so much cycling stuff and running stuff in general is made with dark colours. I went to buy rain pants for commuting and they only have black.
    Tad_MAaronWebstey
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    Black is the easiest colour to work with in sport clothing, as colours can typically vary (vs planned on a computer screen or paint swatch like CMYK or Pantone #) depending on the materials used, stretching of the fibres, etc.

Also, I hate the victim-blaming way most all of these articles are written. Nothing about a phone or potential distracted driving. Because a guy like this wouldn't be in the middle of the road, and likely on the shoulder, so the driver could have veered from his lane. Nothing like that, so again, the line of thought is: "What was he wearing? He was asking for it!" But he's dead and there's no one to offer the other side of the story.
    Granpa ChookCraig_DTad_MAaronWebsteyidking90KenElPescadoPeladoGrantInSLCdoyoueventribroPreachSwanson
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @Matt I completely get your point, but just this week I had the wits scared out of me by someone wearing all black. It was 6:30 am, still very dark, and she was walking with traffic on the edge of the road in a spot where in 20 years I have never seen anyone walking early in the morning. I did not hit her, but if a semi, tractor, or combine had been coming toward me, I easily could have. I did not see her until I was even with her, at only 35 mph.

I would hope that some light colored or reflective clothing would have alerted me to her presence sooner.
    Granpa ChookTad_MAaronWebstey
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    edited October 27
    @Matt , good point.
    It never occur to me to victim blame, just remind everyone of the importance of bright, reflective stuff. We may only have one chance to not make a mistake. If you read the article, it was poor visibility, and the kid mentioned seeing a glimpse of something right at impact.
    Agreed, he may have been distracted, but let's all be ridiculous beacons out there to have a bit more of a chance!
    MattCraig_D

• Options
    Wasn't saying you were doing that Tad. I guess I've been reading a bit too much Peter Flax lately.
    idking90
  • Options
    No worries @Matt!!!
    Is that a common theme of his writings?

• Options
    Yes. He's also an advocate for better (safer) infrastructure for all vulnerable road users (pedestrians or cyclists)

Here's a great piece he wrote on his love for all things about cycling

https://twitter.com/Pflax1

Hi @Beth_Brogan I see you parroted comments from Boothbay Harbor PD, which is based on driver who killed cyclist. Maybe rider didn't do a suicidal veer & instead reacted to shoulder ending, and a potentially negligent driver fatally hit her? Maybe question the dubious narrative?

— Peter Flax (@Pflax1) October 16, 2018

I don't give other riders rules, but I have a newish personal rule—I no longer wave at drivers who let me proceed through an intersection where I already have the right of way. I'm exercising my legal right to cross the street and I'm not going to thank you for not threatening me

— Peter Flax (@Pflax1) October 13, 2018

Think about the absurdity of the position of the people still screaming to rip out the protected bike lane on Venice Boulevard. They want another lane of traffic. And they want tons of subsidized parking. And then they call cyclists who have a rare safe place to ride entitled.

— Peter Flax (@Pflax1) October 12, 2018

This idea that people who drive are entitled to free or nearly free parking needs to die. If people want to store their cars, they should pay market rates for that privilege.

— Peter Flax (@Pflax1) October 12, 2018
    Tad_M
  • Options
    edited October 27
    Good stuff @Matt , go Peter! Gotta love the emotion in that piece. I feel fortunate to be surrounded by lightly traveled gravel farm/residential roads. I can't really enjoy riding in traffic.
    MattPreachSwanson

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Sometimes I feel lucky to live in Montreal where traffic is so, so bad that cars can rarely get up enough speed to hurt me.
    AaronWebsteyMattA_drizzleKenElPescadoPeladoTad_Msimonsen77
  • Options
    And we live fairly close to the bike path along the Canal.
    MartinTad_M
  • Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I would bike to work every day if there was adequate infrastructure. Here are my options:
    • Take the shortest route on an old tertiary road that's been needing new pavement for the last 5 years, it's a pothole disaster and narrow. It's shielded from wind for the most part but has absolutely no shoulders and it's impossible for cars to pass without going into oncoming traffic, but they still try. I've even had coworkers pass extremely close and confronted them about it. They're great people, but idiots. I could literally feel the cool temperature of a coworkers metal car one day and her response was, "oh i'd never do anything to hurt you". That was the last day I rode to work and the last time I did a "road only" ride that wasn't in a race.

• Option 2 is 2km longer along a shore line route and, while scenic, is windy as fuck. It's about half paved shoulders but still narrow in a lot of sections.
    • Option 3 is 6km longer and includes backtracking so I can safely enter a multi-use path, using the before entering route #1 for the final 5km.
    So the trade off is: Go quicker but risk death, bike longer and avoid risking death a little longer or get battered by coastal winds

There's an old rail line that runs a "crows path" directly from town to town which would be an amazing multi-use path. Instead of 25km separating the downs it would be a 13 km hypotenuse. Even though the rail line has been unused for at least 10 years the owners of the rail line won't entertain the placement of a multi-use path even though the government owns the land.
    MattAaronWebsteyMartinKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
  • Options
    PreachSwansonPreachSwanson Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    There are days that I know I am lucky to be in a small bedroom community so I can bike to work (did today). That said, I also have very narrow roads for training that though they are mostly empty and the one cattle farmer would burry his truck in the ditch before coming close to me, other idiots have swerved toward me in the past to "make a point" of bikes not being welcomed. Wear reflective and ride like everyone it trying to hit you.
    AaronWebsteyCraig_DTad_M
    TRS Racing
    I'm an angel with an incredible capacity for beer
  • Options
    rangamelrangamel Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Unfortunately that article was incorrect.
    Mike had reflective clothing on, he also had bright lights on his bike.

The Police investigation was poorly done and the driver was likely distracted by something else and that’s why he didn’t see Mike, not because he wasn’t visible.
    AaronWebsteyPreachSwansonMattM_WareCraig_DKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
    Slightly mental triathlete who is allergic to the sun

• Options
    Thanks for confirming Mel
    rangamel
  • Options
    Thanks @rangamel for the more accurate info, that is such a shame. @doyoueventribro , do you have a conservancy group in Canada like railstotrails.org in the US? Perhaps you can contact them to see if there is a counterpart that could get involved.
    Actually, knowing your level of involvement, I'm sure you've already exhausted these options, so Sworry in advance if you have. Your note caused me to look at the page, which caused me to see a survey. So Thanks!

• Options
    doyoueventribrodoyoueventribro Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Tad_M said:

Thanks @rangamel for the more accurate info, that is such a shame. @doyoueventribro , do you have a conservancy group in Canada like railstotrails.org in the US? Perhaps you can contact them to see if there is a counterpart that could get involved.
    Actually, knowing your level of involvement, I'm sure you've already exhausted these options, so Sworry in advance if you have. Your note caused me to look at the page, which caused me to see a survey. So Thanks!

There are amazing rails to trails on the western side of cape breton from the old coal rail but for whatever reason in industrial cape breton (the eastern side) they're still clinging to the idea that a rail system is still required for the economy even though it's been out of commission for over 6 years now. They tried to get a multi-use path on one section which would take cyclists off of a 4-lane arterial road but the local councilor insisted the better option would be a sidewalk on both sides of the road and dismissed the input of the local cycling group.

We have one bike lane and it's on the widest street in the city so it essentially serves absolutely no purpose. It's hilarious too because we have something like a 20% unemployment rate so instead of investing in infrastructure that supports cycling we continue to live with the "you need a car to get around" mindset. People end up buying cars they can't afford to maintain, insure or register instead of buying a $200 bike even though our city is enclosed in less than a 5km radius.
    Tad_MAaronWebstey

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch