frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Sketchy Strava

So, while poking around on Strava this week, I discovered some weirdness, and I wonder if anyone else has encountered anything similar. I'd imagine we all probably get the occasional random follower request, such as that friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend that you rode with one time way back when, or some weirdo that spotted you on a fly-by and now wants to be your new exercise tracking buddy.

What really caught my attention was that several requests that I had let sit without rejecting have very similar fishy profiles.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/1143927
https://www.strava.com/athletes/13852936
https://www.strava.com/athletes/27109226

Each of these has hundreds of people they are following, with only a handful following back. There don't appear to be any activities logged by these accounts. My best guess is they are bike thieves looking for bike pics and maps they can backtrack to homes (especially on those accounts where privacy zones aren't being used).

Thoughts?

Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Wait, there are fake people on social sites on the interwebs?

That explains the Let's Run forum.
    Johns622KenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Bait em in @KenElPescadoPelado , then video when you beat them half to death with a rubber rooster. Wear your kit.
    GrantInSLCCraig_DwchevronMartinJames LangeKenElPescadoPeladoGasBombAaronWebstey

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    ellsworth53tellsworth53t Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Tad_M said:

Bait em in @KenElPescadoPelado , then video when you beat them half to death with a rubber rooster. Wear your kit.

And post the activity to Strava
    Craig_DGrantInSLCKenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebsteyMartinTad_MStruangfyrehaar
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Probably take 300-400 calories to beat them with a rubber rooster. Good cross training.
    GrantInSLCKenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebsteyMartinTad_MCraig_D

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    Martin said:

Wait, there are fake people on social sites on the interwebs?

That explains the Let's Run forum.

I know, right? Just wondering what else their endgame might possibly be. Highly disappointed that they don't at least go to the trouble of using MySpace Tom as a profile pic.
    MartinCraig_D
    Sometimes I tweet... Follow PescadoPelado
  • Options
    Craig_DCraig_D Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    I'm sure if you posted video of it on slowtwitch you could get 17+ pages of debate over proper form, equipment suggestions, and associated infighting and attempts of hijacking. That would almost be as much fun to watch.
    KenElPescadoPeladoellsworth53tTad_MJohns622James LangeGrantInSLC
    Canadian Division

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch