frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Minimal Multisport Podcast - Ep. 8 BEN HOBBS!

Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
edited October 18 in Main
Yes, @Ben Hobbs has been tracked down by Greg Kopecky. Give Greg's new podcast a listen, it's worth your time. Cool concept Greg has, and he's good, easy to listen to as an interviewer. Let's help him buy a "tiny mansion".
Seems he's a Rooster already even though he needs "Backpfeifengesicht" in his vocabulary. I'm now going down the rabbit hole like I did with TRS reversing order now and listening to the rest.
Also, he's showing a bad assed steel frame gravel bike on the site (thus, he's more cool)
Warning: Spoilers below....
https://www.minimalmultisport.com/podcast/

Favourite parts:
1. Ben teases Starky, always good, I love Starky stuff regardless, and Greg recounts schooling and racing with Starky as a peer. Points for Greg!!! Greg agrees with Ben calling Andrew 'the Kenny Powers' of triathlon.
2. Ben making Greg recount how he had to fire Ben was a nice touch out of the gate (point for Ben early), and then later he calls out Greg for "micro-aggression". Nice house guest Ben!
3. Ben comments on buying his new smaller house and Greg asks "It's not a tiny house is it" Love it Greg!
4. Greg is "defending his right to be bored" Talk about a person that fits in with the Roost.
5. Greg scores big when he does a Ben and a) asks Ben to call out folks who deserve it in triathlon, "do your worst" b) asks who needs to be punched in the face. Boy oh boy, if Greg had just used "Backpfeifengesicht" I would have binge listened to the previous 7 instantly instead of working on my business trip.
6. Greg put a smile on my face recounting some of Ben's interviewing staples....

Keep up the good work Greg, and nice college try on trying to encourage Ben to keep the options alive on a revisit to podcasting.
@AaronWebstey , Greg likes the TRS logo, steal that thing from Ben or rip it off in great part for the new team. Someday Ben will get over being mad at you and see that it's the ultimate homage.
Granpa ChookM_WaregregkrangamelMattAaronWebsteyCraig_DGasBomb

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!

Comments

• Options
    I enjoyed this.
    For the reasons so eloquently detailed by Tad above, as well as as a reminder of ye olden days. Ben is still a good talker.
    M_WareGranpa ChookTad_MgregkAaronWebsteykjrunninCraig_D
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I liked the interview too. I only wish that Greg had spent more time talking about Ben’s interviews. I have yet to hear anyone conduct better interviews with Pros than Ben. For the most part he really got them to open up and show their true personalities and thoughts while also making the interviews entertaining.
    Granpa ChookKenElPescadoPeladogregkrangamelTad_MMattAaronWebsteykjrunninCraig_DJames LangeMaddie_McK
  • Options
    So good to hear his voice again.

M_WareKenElPescadoPeladogregkrangamelJennifer PostTad_MAaronWebsteykjrunninCraig_Dslickfins_RyanGasBomb
  • Options
    gregkgregk Member
    Howdy ya'll! Thanks for the love. I just registered on this forum last night, because of Ben mentioning it in the interview. I'm glad to see a place like this exist, and I truly hope it can remain as "pure" as possible (i.e. actually ban people who suck and bring the whole place down, rather than what some of the competing forums do...). I think most triathletes are good people, and a vocal few kill all the fun. Like many, I really started to feel alienated from the sport after MANY years of dedicated participation (and having spent my entire career in/around the sport, working for manufacturers, publications, etc).

All of that is what motivated me to start the podcast/blog. I don't know exactly where it's going, but that's the nature of creative endeavors. I feel like the show has come a long way in only 8 episodes, and I'm 100% embarrassed by some of my earlier shows already. Podcasting looks so easy on the surface - you're just talking, right? But there's so much more to it and it takes a ton of time to do well. Oh, and about $1000 worth of equipment that came out of my pocket.

Anyhow, this isn't about a sob story - I just want you to know where I'm coming from, and that I do give a shit about what I'm doing. I criticize triathlon because I care about it. I think it really lost its way in the last decade, and it's no secret that participation is down. Unfortunately, most of the establishment is marching forward in the same manner as before, marketing $15k bikes to a few rich dudes who want to save 1 watt. I'm just hoping to do my part to tell the truth as I see it - and hopefully be able to sustain a career. I'd really appreciate any promotion you all can offer, even if that's just telling your friends. But a buck per month on Patreon wouldn't hurt either :)

Finally, in the name of full disclosure, I am somewhat associated with Slowtwitch. If it's any help, I've never fully fit in over there (and I don't know that I've ever fully fit in anywhere). I write freelance tech columns for them every couple weeks that typically get sorta-okay reception. The people that don't like me are the hyper type-A folks that don't visit here. I try to give actual real-world practical advice, which can't always be measured in the wind tunnel... and they like to remind me of how worthless that is on occasion. So whatever. I am always honest and am trying to scratch out a living. If this place lives up to my hopes, I see myself posting on the forum here much more than anywhere else. Heck, Joe Rogan's forum is dead, so there aren't many places left!
    M_WarerangamelMattAaronWebsteyMartinkjrunninCraig_DTad_Msimonsen77James LangemaggieruMaddie_McKGrantInSLCKuchSdogGasBombKenElPescadoPelado
    The Dude at Minimal Multisport Podcast, Blog, and YouTube.
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Welcome @gregk!
    gregkTad_MCraig_D
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
    Groovy Auntie to Roosters everywhere
  • Options
    gregkgregk Member
    Oh, if folks want a good place to start on my show, the episodes I'm least embarrassed about are #8 (obviously), plus any of my other interviews (John Paul Severin, David Thompson, AJ Johnson, Chris Wiggins). My solo episodes... yeah, they kind of suck. Also note that the Chris Wiggins episode wasn't even originally intended to be a podcast, so it kind of wanders around a lot and I think we didn't do a great job of giving take-homes.

I also write the occasional ranting blog about how the tri/cycling industry needs to change: https://www.minimalmultisport.com/blog/bicycle-technologies-helping-or-hurting-our-industry

Oh, and I make really stupid YouTube videos from time to time:
    M_WareAaronWebsteyTad_M
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Welcome @gregk !!!
    Banning people from a forum? I think only the forum managers and owners have ever been banned here. They normally come back. I may be wrong.
    Keep up the good work at ST and elsewhere. We need more yous!
    By the way "are you saying I'm a douche?" another great line in the interview. Well done.
    Jennifer PostAaronWebsteyCraig_Dgregkrangamel

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    We've banned a NIgerian Prince or two. No word on any members of Bahrain's royalty requesting to join.
    Jennifer PostM_WareAaronWebsteyMartinTad_Mmaggieru
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    @gregk good to hear your voice again dude. Come to Chicago soon so we can drink a bunch of beer and talk about how we used to be OK at triathloning. Where the fuck are you living now?
    AaronWebsteyJames Lange
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    @gregk welcome! Please post your patreon link, and/or put it in your signature. We have no beef with ST, in fact about one in 10 threads here is specifically started by a member to watch an entertaining ST thread in awe from afar. :)

I will be listening ASAP!
    James LangeSdog
  • Options
    Fuck that @AaronWebstey. Thumbs up if you have beef with ST.
    MattAaronWebsteyPevashishDaulJennifer PostRobert RankinCraig_Dsimonsen77maggieruMaddie_McKslickfins_RyanGranpa ChookJohns622
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    bbculp said:

Fuck that @AaronWebstey. Thumbs up if you have beef with ST.

Can we get this Simsbury guy over here? Great troll yesterday opening 10 Sanders threads at once, +100 bonus points for the Power Cranks reference.

bbculpAaronWebsteyPevashishDaulRobert RankinTad_MCraig_DJames LangemaggierurangamelKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    @Martin that made me hark back to our own @James Lange — Eat a Dick event.
    AaronWebsteyJennifer PostMartinTad_MJames Langeslickfins_RyanGasBomb
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    Bravo Simsburytri.
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    #Sworry @bbculp , I'll start beefing immediately.
    PevashishDaulJennifer PostbbculpMartinTad_M
  • Options
    @gregk we are all about peace, love, and inclusivity regardless of ST status. The only real deal breaker is a <3 of Ben Greenfield, he's an asshat.
    AaronWebsteyPevashishDaulkjrunninJennifer PostbbculpgregkTad_MCraig_Dmaggieruslickfins_RyanGrantInSLC
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    regular_markregular_mark Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    how can i get banned from this website also
    PevashishDaulbbculpMartingregkTad_MCraig_DJames Lange
  • Options
    This guys an asshat? Hater.

bbculpMartinM_WareKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Provided without comment.
    PevashishDaulAaronWebsteyM_WareMartinTad_MCraig_Drangamel
  • Options
    I prefer pouting Zoolander Ben but Beefcake Ben does deserve a second look.
    Craig_D
  • Options
    Dark_mark said:

how can i get banned from this website also

You can never be banned. From any forum. It is your curse.
    Tad_Mmaggieru
  • Options
    After seeing Beefcake Ben, the first question I have is why do we not have a vomit button @AaronWebstey?
    AaronWebsteyCraig_DkjrunninrangamelKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options

After seeing Beefcake Ben, the first question I have is why do we not have a vomit button @AaronWebstey?

That photo screams backpfeifengesicht.
  • Options
    Backpfeifengesicht with a side of vomit.
    M_WarePevashishDaulAaronWebsteyTad_MMartinmaggieru
  • Options
    The title of my book is “How I competed in a bikini contest with no training and a diet that consisted of 3 grasshoppers, 26g of blue-light emitting twigs, and raw filtered cytoplasm smoothies a day.”
    -Big Green, date unknown

M_WareAaronWebsteyJennifer PostCraig_DkjrunninmaggieruPevashishDaulGasBombKenElPescadoPelado
    HMKP
  • Options
    gregkgregk Member
    bbculp said:

@gregk good to hear your voice again dude. Come to Chicago soon so we can drink a bunch of beer and talk about how we used to be OK at triathloning. Where the fuck are you living now?

Long time, mang! Shit, it's been years. I'm in Florida - Tampa, to be exact. Next time I come to Chicago I will come to your house and consume everything that isn't nailed down. I'm definitely much more worser at triathlons now than I used to be. But that's okay - I'm definitely happier.
    M_WareAaronWebsteybbculpkjrunninJames Lange
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    gregkgregk Member

@gregk welcome! Please post your patreon link, and/or put it in your signature. We have no beef with ST, in fact about one in 10 threads here is specifically started by a member to watch an entertaining ST thread in awe from afar. :)

I will be listening ASAP!

Link now in my signature! So far I have two Patrons and I'm raking in a glorious $4/month. That adds to the $0.49 I've made as an Amazon affiliate. Apparently their overlords have decided that anyone ordering from my links in the Tampa area must be my family and friends, so they pay zero commission on it.

M_WareTad_MAaronWebsteybbculp
    MY PATREON!
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    The podcast certainly brought back some great memories for me, like spending 100s of hours writing articles for a couple hundred readers and attending WTS Edmonton with media credentials.

Ben may have been an asshole, but I didn't realize how much I missed the TRS podcast till now. I certainly haven't felt as interested in pro Ironman racing the last couple seasons.
    AaronWebsteyJennifer PostCraig_Dgregkbbculpmaggierusimonsen77GasBombKenElPescadoPelado

• Options

Ben may have been an asshole, but I didn't realize how much I missed the TRS podcast till now. I certainly haven't felt as interested in pro Ironman racing the last couple seasons.

I agree. Most interesting part to me is just watching social media and the lead up to Kona and seeing if I believe all the rumors.

gregkAaronWebsteyCraig_D
  • Options
    RashRash Member
    Ben sounded great. I do miss the interviews, but glad he seems to have found a better balance for himself.
    AaronWebsteyCraig_DM_WareJennifer PostTad_M

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch