frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

"Back when I played"

Tad_MTad_M Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
I loved all the tweets from ex-participants, even champions which deliver absolutely zero content except to remind us all that the tweeter was actually connected or relevant in the past. Do we have any other sports where this behavior is so pervasive? I challenge anyone to find a sport that is better at this.....
I was reminded again this morning as I read the lead sentence of the article about bike count data at Kona on ST:

I began the Kona Bike Survey in 1992, and ran it through 2006, at which point I gladly handed it off to the next fool

#Sworry 2019 - See you there!

Comments

• Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    That next fool was me, and I've been doing a much better job of it since 2007. Really awesome of him not to credit me or Triathlete in his little article.
    Tad_MCraig_DMattMartinAaronWebsteymaggieruJames LangeGasBomb
  • Options
    edited October 16
    Oops, Sworry @bbculp , didn't intend to malign you in this teasing. Carry on.
    (btw - please use statements like this once you pass it along to the 3rd party...., and thank you for not deleting Argon 18 to make the top 13 a top 12, even if you have a rationale..... data is data for Pete's sake)
    Mattbbculp

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited October 16
    FFS - We should all drink in celebration if he doesn't mention inventing the wetsuit or modern tri bike in any of his articles.

Also, a huge thanks for your 2017 Roth count. Made my job a lot easier last Fall.
    I'd love to see a 70.3WC bike count. It gives a much better global picture that just Kona.
    Jennifer PostKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    Jay ran the Roth count in 2017. I took it on this year but I'm passing it off to the next fool in 2019.

If I were going to do a count at a third race, it'd be Noosa.
    AaronWebsteyMatt
  • Options
    idking90idking90 Member, Pro Triathlete
    Yes. When Joe Morgan does the telecast for a baseball game, 80% of what he says is a reminder of how he used to play and is a Hall of Famer and how modern approaches to the game are silly (because his style of play would have been a lot less valuable than it was in the 70s)
    Tad_M
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member, Rooster Endurance Member
    edited October 16
    Tad_M said:

I loved all the tweets from ex-participants, even champions which deliver absolutely zero content except to remind us all that the tweeter was actually connected or relevant in the past. Do we have any other sports where this behavior is so pervasive? I challenge anyone to find a sport that is better at this.....

Watch football any Sunday.
    Tad_Midking90AaronWebsteyPevashishDaul
  • Options
    @Martin is right, football more so than baseball I think with the color commentary. Though we do need an audit of Facebook pages for former Kona participants. I bet it is near 50% mention rate for amateurs.....
    idking90

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch