frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Swimming in Portland, OR

kjrunninkjrunnin Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
Hey Roosters,

I am headed to Portland to eat and drink my way through the city for 6 days and I need to offset that with a little training (or so says my coach). Suggestions for a good place to swim?
AaronWebstey

Comments

• Options
    Swimming here sucks, my advice is to go for a run in Forest Park instead!

-Matt Dishman- inner NE has the cheapest drop in and solid hours but can be busy with open swim. 6 lane 25y, ok temperature.
    -Columbia Pool- North portland, is a hot bath, don't go there.
    -Southwest Community Center @ Gabriel Park - more expensive drop in, 25y pool, decent hours, can be busy. ok temp.

Outer East/ Gresham:
    -Mt Hood Aquatic - Their 50m pool is closed until Nov 4 but they have short course.
    -David Douglas Aquatic Center- Nice new pool but odd hours.

Beaverton:
    -Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center - Dingy old 50m indoor pool but they have drop in.
    kjrunnin
  • Options
    Thank you!

I will see how my legs feel after Sunday’s marathon - maybe I can sneak in a run at Forest Park before heading home.

This pool info is great - sounds like the new place might be my first choice. I’m basically killing time between meals so odd hours is no biggie!
    Granpa Chook

• Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @kjrunnin What does it say about me that I can’t recommend pools but can recommend food and drinks spots? I do not live in PDX but travel down often from Seattle. Let me know if you need any suggestions. If you are into craft cocktails, you should definitely check out Teardrop Lounge in the Pearl. Stumptown Coffee is good but Barista is better.
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    Granpa ChookGranpa Chook Member
    edited October 5
    @kjrunnin Good luck! The course goes near where I live in St Johns.

Stumptown Coffee is good but Barista is better.

...and Coava is best!

Give me pourover or give me death ™
  • Options

@kjrunnin Stumptown Coffee is good but Barista is better.

Barista is the best coffee I’ve ever had. Ever.

And Pip’s over VooDoo
    Jennifer Post
    HMKP
  • Options
    @HMkrplunkit I agree. Blue Star over VooDoo too. I haven’t tried @Granpa Chook ‘s pick of Coava though. Will try next trip.
    HMkrplunkitGranpa Chook
  • Options
    Barista as a roaster is just ok but they are complete hipster/snobby dicks.

Coava is just the best. Heart is my #2, Proud Mary and Sterling are good too.
    kjrunnin
  • Options
    Keep these recommendations coming!

I’m currently sitting at Barista enjoying a post-Run coffee. Good call on the hipsters. I’d say more pretentious than snobby but maybe I’m being snobby.

The coffee is good but not life changing. (Full disclosure I had a princess drink not a regular brew.) The chalkboard says the roaster is 49th Parallel in Vancouver BC so... I came to Portland and drank coffee roasted at home! LOL.
    M_WareHMkrplunkitGranpa ChookJennifer PostCraig_D

• Options
    Ha! 49th parallel is one of my favorite roasters! My wife got some earlier this year.

If you are into pizza this is one of the best cities for it. Lovelys 50 50 is farm to table sourdough with crazy flavors. Kens artisan pizza is excellent and so is pizza scrolls.

My other favorite go-tos: Tabor Bread bakery, Pok Pok, Saburo’s sushi.
    kjrunnin
  • Options
    If you like soft serve, check out Wiz Bang Bar. I prefer it over the regular Salt & Straw shops. https://saltandstraw.com/wizbangbar/
    M_Warekjrunnin
  • Options

If you are into pizza this is one of the best cities for it. Lovelys 50 50 is farm to table sourdough with crazy flavors. Kens artisan pizza is excellent and so is pizza scrolls.

You probably meant Apizza Scholls? If so, yes - it's fucking delicious.
    Granpa Chook
  • Options
    Thank you @Granpa Chook for the pool recommendations. I ended up at Matt Dishman where other than my lane mate and the hub, I was about 40 years younger than everyone else there. Awesome!

Also these 25 yard pools make me feel like I’m a super swimmer. All the turning. So many PRs.
    M_Ware

• Options
    @kjrunnin I'm glad the hours I've spent thinking about this has come to use for someone. I've been going to Dishman lately a bit. What time did you go? I'm always trying to find the least crowded time.
  • Options
    9:30 am. I had a lane to myself for 1/2 my swim, shared with one other for the rest. Hub also had a lane to himself for most of his swim. They had 3 lanes open when we arrived & no one swimming. A woman got in just before us, took the medium lane and then after breast stroking a few lengths, sized us up and moved to the fast lane. I got in the slow lane, hub the medium, and we both swam faster than her. LOL.
    KenElPescadoPeladoGranpa ChookTad_M

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch