frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Frodo skipping Kona due to injury

Really sad to see this, wanted to see that Jan, Patrick, Lionel, Gomez showdown.

https://www.facebook.com/JanFrodenoTriathlon/posts/1843226305772642
AaronWebstey

Comments

• Options
    This should make the race more interesting. After last year you'd have to think that front swim group/bike group would be pushing the pace a bit more in the first half to limit the gains from the lionel/sebby/wurf train. Without Frodeno on the front that's one less huge motor.
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
    :'(
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
  • Options
    This will not make the race more interesting. This is the greatest triathlete in history missing the biggest race of the year. This fucking blows.
    James LangeTuck_n_Roll_Tad_MbalsdorfAaronWebstey
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    Sanders still won't podium
    James LangeJennifer PostAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Interesting. I remember @EmilyCocks comment on the preview show before WC70.3 that he had arrived one day later than planned and she wondered what was up with that. In hindsight, I wonder if he was dealing with his hip injury then but went ahead and raced thinking it would be ok.
    Granpa ChookM_WareAaronWebstey
  • Options
    James LangeJames Lange Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Really sad for him, but I'm glad that he figured it out now and not on the course like last year. Hate to see him walk home two years in a row.
    bbculpJennifer PostTuck_n_Roll_Tad_MAaronWebstey

• Options
    I thought Frodo would win comfortably, in under 8 hours. Now this is how I see the race for the win looking over the final 5K (with Lange passing a fading Sanders for the final podium spot and Ryf finishing 5th).
    M_WareAaronWebsteyRobert Rankin
  • Options
    I assume Cam and/or Sebi will come out of the water ahead of Sanders and push ahead to try to catch on to Starky. It's in Sebi's best interest and Cam/Starky have no realistic shot anyway once it hits the run so they won't care as long as Sebi lets them take the best bike split. I realize they came out pretty close last year with Sanders, but wasn't Sebi's swim a bit off? Didn't he mistakenly jump on a Sanders led pack for a while in the swim which ended up being slower than he would have swam otherwise? Wurf is a wild card on the swim, but if they get out ahead of Sanders I think he is SOL (which he might be anyway based on his recent self coached adjustments to everything).
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    Amberger won't get caught until the climb to Hawi
  • Options
    Starky will catch Amberger way before they make the turn at Kawaihae. Probably before Waikoloa. Maybe before the airport.
    KenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    I don't think Amberger lasted all that long out front last year, did he? I can't remember anything past my last post.
    KenElPescadoPeladoTuck_n_Roll_Tad_MAaronWebstey
  • Options
    Also, Gomez may decide to go with him just to get a little time to prep for the trains coming by. Amberger doesn't cut much of a hole for drafting, but it gets Javi a few minutes to spin the legs before the onslaught.
    Matt
  • Options
    Burgs got caught by Currie around mile 15 last year.

I don't think Gomez swims with Burgs but I expect him to key off Currie early in the ride.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete
    Currie got dropped by the pack at 70.3 worlds. Gomez will sit close to whomever he can... (oops did I just say that).
    M_WareOverSwimmerCraig_DJennifer PostTuck_n_Roll_Tad_MAaronWebsteyRobert Rankin
  • Options
    I think the Gomez drafting thing is a bit (a lot) overblown. I did see the twitch maphia finding video of him rolling into the 12 m zone at the speed bumps without passing, but nothing crazy like he illegally drafted the entire 90K. Up until then no one was accusing him of being a serial cheater that I recall.

He absolutely will not do any work on the bike - that's tactics and one that many others will employ. He will sit in as close as possible to get whatever draft advantage he can on the bike. It's not a secret and it's smart with his run ability. He's a good swimmer so he will have the option to float from group to group if he needs to keep close enough to have a chance on the run.

I think nutrition is going to be interesting for him. He didn't get it right in his other IM so curious if he has figured it out yet or if he needs a few more attempts to get it down.
    AaronWebsteypete
  • Options
    Currie isn't much of a 70.3 racer. He'd be the greatest Ironman in history if the race were twice as long. His background is in events that last 1-3 days and he's coming "down" to Ironman. Basically doing the opposite of the former ITU guys.

Yes, I'm a fanboy. I realize he has a very small chance to win but I think he'll surprise a lot of people.
    RashGranpa ChookAaronWebsteyRobert Rankin
  • Options
    Im disappointed since there will be no chance for a pudgy shirtless gentleman to run alongside Frodeno chugging a beer.

Stay fat everyone.
    KenElPescadoPeladoTuck_n_Roll_Tad_MMartinOverSwimmerCraig_D
  • Options
    @PevashishDaul But what about his size and body surface area as it relates to heat dissipation?
  • Options
    EmilyCocksEmilyCocks Member, Pro Triathlete
    edited September 12
    @Rash Gomez can just ask Lionel for race nutrition help
    RashKenElPescadoPeladoM_WareTuck_n_Roll_Tad_MMattMaddie_McK
  • Options
    @EmilyCocks maybe they can compare Lange posters in their workout rooms.
    KenElPescadoPeladoTuck_n_Roll_Tad_MMartin
  • Options
    Tuck_n_Roll_Tad_MTuck_n_Roll_Tad_M Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Lionel writing absentmindedly in his journal 100 times:
    Ich werde Patrick Lange zu meinem kleinen Affen machen......
    fyrehaar

• Options
    Damn this sucks. Sacral fractures are super painful. Hopefully he is eating enough and it's not an eating disorder.

I'm with @Jennifer Post , wondering if he ran through it at 70.3 worlds and broke it then. There are signals of it happening. People just ignore them until it breaks. Jesse Thomas broke his foot at Wildflower one year on the run (and won).
    M_WareJennifer Post
  • Options
    I wish I had the knowledge of an orthopedist at times like these. I looked at the scan and I understand so little. Anyone have an expert opinion or have seen one posted? I am just curious how severe the fracture is, if there are signs of it being recent, or weakness in surrounding areas, etc.

I just find it hard to understand how a top elite athlete can mess up their "A" race two years in a row. Sure, one time maybe you train too much and/or don't eat enough or ignore warning signs or suffer bad luck but two years in a row?

Total speculation on my part but I think he must have ignored or discounted the warning signs. I think he saw the opportunity to race both Gomez and Brownlee as the favorite again and he went for it. Even though Frodeno has been dominating LC these last few years, it still probably fueled his competitive fire to think back on how the last few years he raced ITU WTS and London Olympics that it really was the Gomez/Brownlee show.
  • Options
    dhrdhr Member

I just find it hard to understand how a top elite athlete can mess up their "A" race two years in a row.

Especially when it’s one referred to as the “greatest triathlete in history” earlier in this thread.

Jennifer PostMattMartin
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    bbculp said:

Currie isn't much of a 70.3 racer. He'd be the greatest Ironman in history if the race were twice as long. His background is in events that last 1-3 days and he's coming "down" to Ironman. Basically doing the opposite of the former ITU guys.

Yes, I'm a fanboy. I realize he has a very small chance to win but I think he'll surprise a lot of people.

Admit it, it was his #weeklywebstey appearance that sold you on Currie
    Jennifer PostTuck_n_Roll_Tad_MKenElPescadoPeladobbculpOverSwimmerCraig_D
  • Options
    No, it's that every time I reach out to him, he's doing something way cooler than every other triathlete in the world: sea-kayaking around New Zealand, mountain biking across New Zealand, adventure racing in the Southern Alps, etc. And he grew up on a dairy farm. Just a really nice dude with a really cool lifestyle.

Also, Frodo is hands-down the best triathlete in history. The double of Olympics/Kona is the holy grail. Although at some point we'll have to put Gomez ahead of him due to sheer number of world titles.

AaronWebstey
  • Options
    And in case there are any lingering feelings that Gomez is a dick/cheater/bad sport, I think @bbculp 's man crush would argue against that per his comments post Wanaka:

“Javier is just such an honest guy. I dropped my chain going up the hill and he put his hand on my back and gave me a push, but I still couldn’t get it back on. I was forced to stop to try and fix it and the next thing I knew Javier was sitting up to give me a chance to get back in the race. I think everyone respected each other out there on the course and it was great to have a race like that.” - Braden Currie

Sure I hope some darkhorse American (because USA! USA! USA!) or some Kamikaze biker walking the marathon makes it interesting, but if it comes down to a Euro running race I am pulling for the little Spanish Bicho.
    bbculpfyrehaarpeteJames LangeAaronWebsteyGranpa Chook
  • Options
    Automatic favourite if any male pro makes a full changeover in T2 into a tank and split shorts for the run.
    M_WareJennifer PostbbculpfyrehaarJames LangeAaronWebsteyGranpa ChookKenElPescadoPeladoOverSwimmerCraig_D
  • Options
    bbculp said:

Also, Frodo is hands-down the best triathlete in history. The double of Olympics/Kona is the holy grail. Although at some point we'll have to put Gomez ahead of him due to sheer number of world titles.

I agree Gomez will be put ahead of Frodeno and I think A. Brownlee will be put ahead of both of them. Two Olympic Golds already and I assume he’ll get Kona win(s) too eventually. He is only 30 and has years ahead of him if he stays healthy.
  • Options
    @Jennifer Post I'll be surprised if Brownlee ever finishes Kona. Durability and heat are his two biggest weaknesses. He's more likely to go to Tokyo and win double gold.
    fyrehaarAaronWebsteybalsdorfKenElPescadoPelado

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch