frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Tire help, please.

M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
First, @Matt SSF (sorry so filthy). Friday I had RXC in for a little tune up at my LBS (50 miles away). While my bike shop guy was tuning I was looking at the selection of Giant/Liv bikes he had on the floor. When I mentioned I was thinking about another bike, one with front suspension, he gave me the wild eye and said, "No!"

WTF? What LBS guy doesn't want to sell a new bike? He went on to explain that RXC is perfect for the kind of riding I do at home, mostly gravel, dirt, grass, and that I should just get a wider (40c) front tire to smooth things out and help with sandy/soft spots in the gravel. Does that sound reasonable? And if so, what tire do you suggest? Thanks friends!

Here's what I have on now Vittoria Cross XG Pro 700 x 32 (I also have Michelin Power 700 x 28s, much quieter and smoother, which Dave puts on for me if we are going to do a few days of paved bike paths):

Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
QOAP@triroost.com
http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
Queen of All Donut Awards

Comments

• Options
    A_drizzleA_drizzle Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    What's your gravel like? Hard pack, loose, mud,, chunky [insert joke here]? Tubes or tubeless compatible?
    M_Ware
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    Greetings to the Great Gravel Goddess herself! While the dirt and grass are consistent, the gravel is all of the above depending on how recently it has been graded and the amount and intensity of recent rainfall. It can go from gorgeous hardpack to squirmy writhing sand with no visible cues if it we’ve had a dry stretch. Freshly graded is obvious and a miserable ride with soft spots interspersed with all sizes of rock up to brick size.

Currently using tubes, no idea if tubeless compatible. Wheelset is Weinmann DP18 double wall.
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    @M_Ware home after 13 hours including pulling a bee out of the biggest sissy man ever's ear, with 18 charts to do. So of course I'd rather answer tire questions ;)

I've used Maxxis Ramblers, Panaracer Gravel Kings, Terrene Elwoods, and Vittoria Terreno in a 40. All good all-surface tires. The Ramblers are prob my favorite as they're light and fast-rolling with good sidewall protection. Tons of people swear by the Gravel King but I found that they collect tiny rocks and occasionally throw them into your frame. Elwoods were good in dry conditions but terrible in sand or wet, and I put a stick through one on a class C road (it sealed though, yay orange seal). Currently running the Vittoria's. They're heavier but bomb-proof and have been good in everything I've ridden them through so far.
    M_Ware
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    Thanks @A_drizzle! Does the only using the 40 on the front sound reasonable?
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    edited September 10
    Wider tire on the same rim? What's the width of the wheel? (inner 'bead' width, and width at braking surface)

Maybe a Vittoria Terreno (Dry/Wet/Mixed) as it goes up to 35mm. Or Challenge's Gravel Grinder comes in 33/38/42mm options.

M_Ware
  • Options
    @Matt thanks! These are the rims. I’ll measure this evening to confirm.
    http://www.weinmanntek.com/product/1/9/74
    Matt
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    @M_Ware why not just 40 in both front and back? If anything people tend to go wider in back and narrower in front.

You could also always just get a Lauf fork. After you win the lottery.
    M_WareMattOverSwimmerCraig_D
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    edited September 10
    @Matt if I’m reading the table correctly, I think the 40 should work on these wheels.

@A_drizzle I think maybe bike shop guy suggested just switching the front due to being hardwired frugal.
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    Rear = drive and steering. Front = not wanting to shit yourself when it washes out and you about endo. Hence why the shop guy told you to go wide up front (if you’re only doing one). People are a hell of a lot more comfortable on a loose rear than they are on a skidding front. But the back is what helps you corner faster.

As @A_drizzle says, go fat on both.
    A_drizzleM_WareAaronWebstey
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    According to the website you posted, it`s a 12.4mm internal rim width, designed for 18-23c tires.

The chart I posted reads that if you want wider tires, then you need a wider rim. However, using a wider tire on a narrower rim like yours means that the tire might be wider and/or taller than the stated 32mm. Which can cause clearance issues and rub on the chainstays near the bottom bracket (typically the narrowest part of the bike) or the back of the seattube.

Also,

People are a hell of a lot more comfortable on a loose rear

NICE
    AaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Thanks @Matt, I was thinking the 18-23 corresponded to the right hand column of the chart. So the 32s it came with are already way out of spec for those wheels? Drat. They are so pretty though.
    QOAP@triroost.com
  • Options
    Matt said:

People are a hell of a lot more comfortable on a loose rear

NICE
    And here I though "skidding front" would have elicited the response.
    MattKenElPescadoPelado
  • Options
    Tuck_n_Roll_Tad_MTuck_n_Roll_Tad_M Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Hey @A_drizzle , which gravel kings? I have the SK with the small square knobbies. 43mm on wide rims. Super comfy in tubless setup. I think they are surprisingly fast in dry (yes they pickup stones), but with a little moisture on the dirt they seem to pack up and ride like I'm on velcro tires. A huge noticeable effort change. I also think all my other tires are far more confidence inspiring when leaning over in fast turns on the loose. Did you notice these things?
    Any experience 1st or 2nd hand with the specialized trigger pro 2bliss?
    A_drizzleM_Ware

• Options
    @Tuck_n_Roll_Tad_M The SKs. And yes, you're naming the rest of the reasons why I dislike them. In Kansas and Oklahoma sand/clay/flint that has gotten rain, they basically turn into fat bike tires. I do have a pair of the slicks on my mom's surly straggler which I'm babysitting, and joy riding them on paved trail or hardpack is great. Wouldn't take the GK slicks on anything else though.

My cross bike 2 years ago came with specialized trigger pro's (not 2bliss) on them in a 33c, that's the limit of my experience there. I rode them on a few mixed pave/gravel rides and didn't have any major problems that I recall, but I quickly switched to wider and tubeless.
    M_WareTuck_n_Roll_Tad_M
    Resident Genius.
  • Options
    mbrekk44mbrekk44 Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    The trigger pro 2bliss in 38 has been awesome for me! I have almost 3k miles on them, and they have plenty of life still. No flats. I was even riding them on rocky singletrack in Colorado. They are a bit on the heavy side, but they roll fast and have a very strong sidewall. I noticed lots and lots of bikes equipped with them at DK. I never pump them over 40
    M_WareMaddie_McKTuck_n_Roll_Tad_M
  • Options
    Tuck_n_Roll_Tad_MTuck_n_Roll_Tad_M Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Phrasing @mbrekk44 ..... well done.
    AaronWebstey

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch