frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Descending In Spain - Video

Eric LagerstromEric Lagerstrom Member, Pro Triathlete
Hey everyone,

Wanted to share this with you guys, and ask for a little feedback as well.

1) Do you prefer watching things like this or "vlog" type things where the subject talks to the camera? Basically information vs not.
2) I'm considering building out a transitionfour.com to go alongside transitionfour.tv. If you're not aware of the latter, it's a purely video site, dedicated to providing triathlon-related content and good vibes. My intent with a .com would be to offer more explanation along with each video, as well as some brief text and picture posts, that can be interacted with.

Any and all feedback appreciated, thanks!
-Eric
www.transitionfour.tv
KenElPescadoPeladoAaronWebsteyM_Warejrielley1406Robert RankinMatt

Comments

• Options
    bbculpbbculp Member
    @Eric Lagerstrom I wouldn't mind some words from you laid over this. Maybe you could help teach triathletes how to descend, or talk a little bit about the area of Spain you're riding through.
    KenElPescadoPeladoJennifer PostM_WareEric LagerstromAaronWebsteyTad_M
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @Eric Lagerstrom @bbculp I agree with Brad. I prefer a bit of narrative laid over video. Similar to what you did with your ITU WTS race reports but less of a play-by-play explanation. Provide a bit of narrative (technique/location/whatever) and then just go a while with the video and music. It's pretty cool. The VLOG experience is overdone and REALLY hard to do well. To speak directly to camera, you need to be super engaging and that's tough unless you do really short bits. I think you would be better than most since you already show some of your personality but it is still tough. I think only a few triathletes are doing that well right now. and they all seem to be doing it on short Instagram stories.
    bbculpM_WareEric LagerstromAaronWebstey
  • Options
    @bbculp @Jennifer Post
    Awesome, thanks for that. I usually try to start and end these with some sort of talking/lifestyle/intro bit to give context, but this one I didn't really have anything like that from when I shot it.

I like the vlogging bit, but agree, few do it well. And instagram stories basically accomplishes a similar thing, albeit rarely without much of an actual story from post to post. Also, the time sensitivity of that is tough, and really relies on people not ever missing a thing.

I'll think about the whole tutorial aspect. I've just been hesitant to do it because I feel like it's overdone by random people with no credentials, but all the time to make youtube videos. I haven't quite wanted to jump in that ring while training and racing professionally. If I can do it in a non-cheesy way, I'll go for it.

Thanks again!
    M_WareJennifer PostAaronWebstey
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    Someone needs to make the Bones Brigade "Propaganda" of triathlon videos. Great segments, great music, a bit of comedy. This video is great, but it would be cool to get a bit more personality in it.
    M_WareJennifer PostAaronWebstey
  • Options
    @Martin have you watched any of these?

http://www.transitionfour.tv/detail/videos/eric-lagerstrom/video/5427148787001/viking-life---make-triathlon-awesome?autoStart=true&page=2

http://www.transitionfour.tv/detail/videos/eric-lagerstrom/video/5445208915001/st-george-viking-life?autoStart=true&page=1

Bones brigade has been a huge influence on me, and that’s where I aspire to get to. At the end of the day though, they did have a budget, and making something 40 minutes long thay doesn’t suck is nearly impossible without a major backer. “Someone should do it” is a pretty common sentiment I think :)
    M_WarebbculpMartinAaronWebstey
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    @Eric Lagerstrom I'm delinquent and hadn't seen all of your stuff. I had really liked the Wurtele morning video, and those two are great.

You are right on about the need for a backer. Maybe someday Nike can get serious about triathlon and throw their billions around.
    M_WareAaronWebstey
  • Options
    @Martin Cool! I just wanted to check, in case you had seen some of my stuff and still thought it was missing the mark. I don't assume that anyone has seen something I've made because of how much content is getting pushed out these days. It's hard to cut through the noise without being truly great, AND playing the clickbait game. IE: "Triathletes swim in secret mountain lake!" instead of "Morning with the Wurteles"
    Thanks again for the feedback, and for watching.
    M_WareAaronWebstey

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch