frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Giro d'Israel/Italia 2018 Thread - Spoilers

MartinMartin Member
in Main
There will be some pretty cool scenery for the first three days of the Giro, taking place in Israel. The road stages look built for sprinters, the opening TT is very technical.

Stage 1 - TT : Dumoulin managed to make it through his first 9 km of the Giro without a bathroom break. And he crushed it. Anyone who had Pozzovivo and Yates in the top 10 of the opening time trial at the Giro, on even time or better than Tony Martin and ahead of C**** F*****, please... Just kidding. No way anyone did. Crazy morning.
MattRobert Rankinsimonsen77Jennifer PostAaronWebstey

Comments

• Options
    jayrodjayrod Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    Dumoullin got some tips from a slowtwitch and started peeing on the bike
    simonsen77MattAaronWebsteyNotSoFatLewTuck_n_Roll_Tad_MMartin
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    First two stages in Sicily in the bag. Two different Lotto teams, two wins. Classics-Type finishes, Classics-like top tens. Pozzovivo still impressive. Woods hanging in there. C* F* dropping time like he dropped his inhaler.

The top 10 will firm up tomorrow, as they ride up to beautiful, destructive Etna. Expect hordes of Italians ignoring police and organizers cheering on their countrymen.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    Huh. I always wondered if Yates could put one together on a key day. Chaves getting into the break was the move of the day, but good on Yates to put that much time into that group in 1.4 km. Gaps in the top 20 are still pretty small. CF* showed some form today. Woods is probably the biggest loser on the day, but he only lost 30 to the big guns.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    KHilgendorfKHilgendorf Member
    edited May 12
    Just saw this gem from stage 2.

M_Ware
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    edited May 12
    Well, Viviani didn't win today. That was surprising, but nice to see Bennett win at a GT. With Sagan likely to grab a stage or two in Cali, it should be a big week for Bora.

Another mountaintop finish tomorrow. The hill itself is not devastatingly hard, but it's 26km long and finishes at 2000m, so riders with less altitude training in the legs and lungs might feel it a bit. Lopez and Meintjez need to make a move, but so does Froome. Dumoulin needs to keep an eye on the Sky Lieutenants like Henao as well. If they get away, they can either sneak into the top 3 overall, or springboard CF* on a later Attack.
    AaronWebstey
  • Options
    So is froome tanking because he can’t keep upright, or because he can’t hit the inhaler at will? Now 2 min back, distanced in both real mountain finishes where Dumoulin is at least maintaining sight of the front. Might as well accept the suspension now and save himself the embarrassment of finishing. Or is this all part of his defense strategy? Yates and Chaves seem on fire right now, but are they pushing too hard in week 1, only to flame out come the finale?
    Martin
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    Yates and Chaves need huge buffers going into the TT. Neither of them are very good against the clock.

It's a three week race, and the tough stuff is yet to come. C* F* has lots of time to recover, and he's probably the only GC guy that can touch Dumoulin in the TT. But, yeah, he's not all that inspiring right now.

Pozzovivo is the wild card for me this year. He had a good opening TT - for him, a very good TT - and he's been doing well in the mountains. I would put he and Pinot on the podium ahead of the Mitchelton-Scott guys.
    Matt
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    OK, C*F* is out of this, barring a Contador-style solo breakaway that no one can bring back. It's not out of the question for week 3, but it's not very likely.

Dumoulin showed a tonne of class today. Yates barely edged him at the line, and there was no panic at all.

I don't think the Sunweb guys have done a lick of work this whole race, and while I have little doubt that Canadian strongman Svein Tuft can channel his inner Louis Cyr all the way through week 3, Mitchellton had better find a way for Yates to grab some time before the rest of the team is exhausted. (I figure with Chaves now free to go for a mountains classification, we can expect to see a suicide attack or two from him. That might let M-S pull their guys off the front, but it also weakens the team left around Yates on the big climbs.)

Pozzo is probably eyeing the podium now. It might come down to the TT, with two riders of roughly equal strength in the climbs (awesome) and TTs (good, not awesome) exchanging pedal strokes. Hopefully it gets settled mano a mano on a climb, though.

Big losers today were Sky and EF Cannondale, with Woods losing a minute and dropping way, way out of the top 10. I'm convinced this guy could be one of the best one-week racers in the peloton, à la Valverde. They need to shift his focus.

MattRobert Rankin
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    Nothing like seeing the best riders in the world going 7 km/h. Zoncolan is horrible. Guys were riding 34-32 gearing and suffering. Slopes hit 20%.

Yates took more time today. But sure if it will be enough. Dumoulin impressive to not lose more time. Pinot not impressive. Hung on to TD's wheel when he should have been on Pozzo's. Lopez finally found his form, ten days too late. Aruuuuu did not shine. Woods solid to come 10 th.
    MattM_WareRobert Rankin
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    What the hell. That was a crazy first two hours considering they climbed Zoncolan yesterday.

Nice if futile effort by Woods with 70 to go, but he put Aru to the sword and pretty much shattered the field.

Yates is remarkable. It would be nice if he showed a bit more suffering as he rides away from everyone like a Cat 1 on a café ride, but he's the class of the field right now.

Dumoulin reminds me of Ullrich. He's just a big diesel engine. Nothing too explosive, but knows how hard he can push for a long time and does so on every hill. Pinot and Pozzo had a chance to leapfrog him today and he fought back, only losing the 2nd place bonus to Lopez thanks to a perhaps less than perfectly straight sprint.

Lopez looks good. He has been improving every day in the mountains. Week 3 is very tough, so lots left to happen in this Giro.

M_WareTuck_n_Roll_Tad_MRobert Rankin
  • Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    Yates is trying to stretch his lead going into the TT, where he'll lost approx 90 seconds to Dumoulin.
    Martin
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    most impressive part of that stage, to me, was Dumoulin pulling back up with pozzovivo/carapaz at the end when i thought he was for sure dropped and going to lose 2 minutes or so

yates is a monster this year. i'll be interested to see if he can keep this form for Vuelta later this year also
    MartinAaronWebstey

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    Things you don't expect to read in a cyclingnews live feed of a flat TT:

Chris Froome drives to the line. He manages to beat Fabio Aru's time by two seconds.
    MattRobert Rankin
  • Options
    Yates losing 1:15 is impressive but what about Aru being ONE MINUTE faster than Yates?
    Martin
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    I'm going to curse this just to make the rest of the week interesting:

"And after the TT, your Giro podium is Yates, Dumoulin in second (which, considering the scant amount of TT kms this year is impressive...), and Pozzovivo on the bottom step."

The question mark now is whether or not M-S lets Chaves run off and try to win the mountains jersey ahead of Ciccone, or if they hold him back to help Yates if he needs pacing in the hills.
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    Martin said:

Things you don't expect to read in a cyclingnews live feed of a flat TT:

Chris Froome drives to the line. He manages to beat Fabio Aru's time by two seconds.

Right, makes sense now:
    "Giro d'Italia: Aru penalised 20 seconds for drafting"
    M_Ware
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    Half of the UAE team was popped for drafting today. But Italian Champion Aru was nailed for allegedly drafting off an Italian police moto in the Giro d'Italia.

The 20 second penalty puts him something like 24:40 behind Yates rather than 24:20. Take that, Fabio!
    AaronWebsteyRobert RankinTuck_n_Roll_Tad_M
  • Options
    Tuck_n_Roll_Tad_MTuck_n_Roll_Tad_M Member, TRS/Baucco Team Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Take note IM riders, the UCI is using the video feed to catch drafters!
    So, be careful.... oh wait... non issue, my fault.
    MartinMattwchevronAaronWebsteyKenElPescadoPeladoOverSwimmerCraig_D

• Options
    MartinMartin Member
    Martin said:

I'm going to curse this just to make the rest of the week interesting:

"And after the TT, your Giro podium is Yates, Dumoulin in second (which, considering the scant amount of TT kms this year is impressive...), and Pozzovivo on the bottom step."

Well, heck, since that one worked, let's try:

"Martin did NOT find $1M in unmarked bills on his ride home today."
    Tuck_n_Roll_Tad_MM_Warekjrunnin
  • Options
    Kaboom!!!!
    Martin
  • Options
    edited May 25
    "Beautiful images of generous spectators helping a champion with asthma and kidney and liver failure" A translated tweet from DansLaMusette

Dumolin group has put 3+ minutes into the Pozzovivo group since the climb. And none into Froome who is solo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    MartinRobert RankinTuck_n_Roll_Tad_M
  • Options
    MartinMartin Member
    edited May 25
    Entering the phrase un jour sans in Google will now and evermore show a single result: Yates today.

And the C*F* ride will either go down in history with Contador's Vuelta attack and Nibali's Giro attack, or Floyd's romp through the mountains of France. It was awesome.
  • Options

Simon Yates finishes, 38 minutes down. He got "definestrated" today h/t @Kohlerderien

— the Inner Ring (@inrng) May 25, 2018
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
    edited May 26
    @Matt, he got thrown through a window?*

*John Sandford readers will recall the definestration of New Prague, MN (2009) and Prague. I <3 Virgil & Lucas.
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
  • Options
    edited May 25
    It's a great pun of "Defenestration" with the name of the mountain climb Yates cracked and lost his overall lead "Colle Delle Finestre".

M_Ware
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @Matt, excellent pun, thanks for enlightening me!
    Matt
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
  • Options
    Ryan rides for team Trek Segafredo

Today I did 300 watts average for 6 hours to finish 45 minutes behind the winner.

Hahahahaha.

— Ryan Mullen (@ryanmullen9) May 25, 2018
    MartinRobert Rankin
  • Options
    Days and stages like today are why we love the Giro. 8km at 8%, above the tree line, on gravel? Sure.
    And let's make that mark the half-way point, where a suicide mission to win pink starts 80k form the end (a la Andy Schleck on the double Izoard/Galibier TdF 7 years ago), but with the difference here being Froome takes the lead and the race behind completely exploded. Yates gone, Pozzovivo gone. Dumoulin lucky enough to have 4 other guys share a little of the work to limit the losses, which could have been 5-6 min without. Best part? The camera catching Poels laughing beside a dying Pozzovivo near the top of the Finistre, knowing Froome just got on the podium.
    MattMartinM_Ware

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch