frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

Anyone been to Iceland?

bbculpbbculp Member
in Main
Planning on stopping in Iceland for 4-5 days on my way home from Roth. I'm clueless about the country and could use any suggestions y'all might have. Would like to get out and see as much of the island as possible in a short time. I don't really like people, so I welcome suggestions on cool places to go where I won't see many.
M_WareJennifer Post

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator
    edited May 1
    Aside from the overpriced Hot Springs that everyone goes to, why not go for a ride around the island?

M_WarebbculpStruangJennifer PostTad_M
  • Options
    wchevronwchevron Member
    Good timing. The guy installing our new office copier just got back last week.
    Said the blue lagoon was nice. It's the overpriced hot spring Matt mentioned.
    Also said to go the geyser. Like the geyser in Yellowstone but you can get right up to it. Although don't stay close to it when it erupts because you will get 3rd degree burns but there are no signs warning you of this.
    Lots of waterfalls to see.
    He said to rent a car, very easy to get around. In the summer, you'll have 22 hours of sunlight so plenty of time to see everything.
    Bring a raincoat, weather changes constantly.
    bbculpJennifer Post
  • Options
    Jennifer PostJennifer Post Member, Level 2 Supporter
    I love Iceland. The stopovers with Icelandair are a great option. I usually only stay a couple of days though so haven't ventured beyond day trips from Reykjavik. Population is surprisingly small, like 350K, and about 200k live in Reykjavik so as soon as you get out of town, you really don't have to worry about running into too many people.

I like the Blue Lagoon. Definitely a tourist spot but they manage crowds well and it has a really nice Scandinavian feel. Easy to stop on the way to or from the airport.

Going to the geysers is fun but it will be touristy during the summer months. Checking out the glaciers in the two big national parks is pretty cool.

Cycling the Ring Road is popular too. I like what @wchevron mentioned. Just rent a car and go explore the country. I suggest watching this documentary that Sigur Ros did years ago as they did small concerts around the country after their world tour. It will give you a feel for the country and the different landscapes and communities.

M_WarebbculpMartinHSeeley14
  • Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, TRS/Baucco Team Member
    @bbculp please take photos and use this thread as your personal travel blog/guide to Iceland. I promise to be nice

ish
    bbculpKenElPescadoPeladoJohns622HSeeley14
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member
    Thanks @Jennifer Post. Good stuff. I'm flying Icelandair to and from Germany so that's the plan. They made the stopover super easy (and cheap!)

And go fuck yourself @AaronWebstey.
    wchevronHSeeley14
  • Options
    M_WareM_Ware Member, Level 2 Supporter
    bbculpKenElPescadoPeladoTad_M
    Queen of All Pins and A+ Enabler
    Send your Pinterest suggestions to me at:
    QOAP@triroost.com
    http://www.pinterest.com/triroost/
    Queen of All Donut Awards
  • Options
    IanLIanL Member
    Yup. Rent a car and drive. You get everywhere fast. Accommodations aren't too bad and hostels are actually good there, not all students. Pack a rain coat. It will rain. Head to the centre to see Gulfass (sp?) . That's their huge waterfall. Near geyser.
    M_WarebbculpAaronWebstey
  • Options
    bbculp said:

Thanks @Jennifer Post. Good stuff. I'm flying Icelandair to and from Germany so that's the plan. They made the stopover super easy (and cheap!)

And go fuck yourself @AaronWebstey.

Dammit Culp, I was being serious! Presumably you'll figure out a way to get paid to produce words and/or photos about the island, but at least throw us a few scraps here and there.
    bbculp
  • Options
    bbculpbbculp Member
    My rate is $2/word @AaronWebstey
  • Options
    bbculp said:

My rate is $2/word @AaronWebstey

Do you have a clearance section? I'll take any words on sale for under 10 cents.
    bbculpMartinTad_M

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2016 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch