frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting immediately, all new users must be approved by a moderator (due to spam issues). #sworry
You can dismiss this message by clicking the little 'X' in the top right this box.
If you are a pro triathlete, please click here to DM AaronWebstey for access to the 'Pros-only' private forum. Don't forget to include your real name, and a link to pro race result would be great if you're a 1st-year pro.

How's the IM Louisville bike course?

I've been sucked into IM's Kona allure. I don't think I've got sub 9 hours in me, and I'm sick of the course, so IMFL is out. Looking at derivable courses on the east coast. Was looking at TX due to the number of slots, Maryland because it doesn't look overly bad, and Lou. I'm fat and TX run is more than likely going to be hot, so it's out. The past issues with Maryland has it on the back burner. That leaves Louisville. The bike is my weak leg. Again I'm fat, so I don't go up well. It looks like one decent climb early then the loops are just some rollers? Does that sound about right, or am I underestimating the profile?
AaronWebstey

Fattest BQ on record--- *allegedly
2016 (and last) Rev3 Cedar Point champ- don't google the time though

Comments

• Options
    AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member, Rooster Endurance Officers
    Lose some weight, fatso!
    - double fatso
    Robert RankinJohns622Tad_MKenElPescadoPeladoCraig_D
  • Options
    Kelly O'MaraKelly O'Mara Member, Pro Triathlete
    I don't remember a climb. It was all mostly rolling farmland. Wind can be a factor.
    Robert Rankin
  • Options

Lose some weight, fatso!
    - double fatso

I’ve got 18 months, and that’s definitely part of the plan. It’s been in the plan for awhile now though, so want to be prepared just in case.

I don't remember a climb. It was all mostly rolling farmland. Wind can be a factor.

Thanks. Being from Florida anything with elevation is a climb :) I’m okay with a little wind. At least with two loops it won’t be a headwind for too long

• Options
    MattMatt Member, Administrator, Rooster Endurance Member

Being from Florida anything with elevation is a climb :)

When all you have is Sugarloaf...

Robert Rankin
  • Options
    EvanEvan Member
    Louisville is an advantageous swim down a river. the run seems fast (and honestly one of the best finishes out there for IM, i think).

As for the bike, i was there to watch a buddy do it but i did the final 30 miles of the bike course with him as a part of recon. it was fast and awesome. rolling hills, but i like that over a purely flat (and boring) course. i'd recommend it. also hotel to start line is really easy
    Robert Rankinkjrunninfyrehaar

unofficial non-general counsel for TRS Racing and other TRS-related entities
  • Options
    Matt said:

Being from Florida anything with elevation is a climb :)

When all you have is Sugarloaf...

Yeah and if I want to stay married I can’t go down there every weekend and ride. I’ll have to do a lot of my training on TrainerRoad.

Evan said:

Louisville is an advantageous swim down a river. the run seems fast (and honestly one of the best finishes out there for IM, i think).

As for the bike, i was there to watch a buddy do it but i did the final 30 miles of the bike course with him as a part of recon. it was fast and awesome. rolling hills, but i like that over a purely flat (and
    boring) course. i'd recommend it. also hotel to start line is really easy

Yeah I like the idea of some rollers to help stretch out a little. Last hour in FL did a number on my back. Based off past times I need to go about 20 minutes faster than I went at FL

• Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    Honestly it's a fast course in general. The swim is downstream, but not weird like Chattanooga. The bike is a lollipop where you do the loop twice. The loop has a few rollers, but no real climbing. Bonus: the last 20 miles is flat along the river so you can prepare your legs for the run. The run course is as flat as Texas, but the weather will most likely be a bit cool to perfect. I say go for it!!
    Robert Rankin

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    99.9% sure I’ll be signing up for 2019
    kjrunninAaronWebsteyGasBombEvansimonsen77

• Options
    KMRyanTriKMRyanTri Member, Pro Triathlete
    I blew myself apart on the IMLOU bike course last year, but that was because I raced with my balls instead of my brain, not because the bike course is especially ridiculous.

Here's my strava file, if you wanted to look at the course details or laugh at my foolishness: https://www.strava.com/activities/1321974310/overview
    M_WareRobert RankinAaronWebstey
  • Options
    @KMRyanTri that's eye opening. Is 8k feet right? For some reason can't see the blowup. Looks like the tougher climbs are in the first 30, but you get to coast those back to save legs for the run? Little concerning because I'm not even close to the athlete you are, but would need a 5 hour or less bike split

• Options
    KMRyanTriKMRyanTri Member, Pro Triathlete
    @Robert Rankin Look at the "Laps" page. When the last 10 miles take you 43 minutes and you average 120 watts...you done blowed up
    Robert RankinGasBombAaronWebstey
  • Options
    GasBombGasBomb Member, Rooster Endurance Member, Level 2 Supporter
    @Robert Rankin I wanted to chime in again because my first post is biased because of where I ride. The loop part of the bike course is certainly “hilly”. Around here we are just used to the “rollers”. From my experience it is a way easier bike course than say Tremblant and the run course is flat af.

Clay Richard Gasway
    King of all Mediocrity
  • Options
    @KMRyanTri couldn't see it on my phone but seeing that 15mph now. A hilly course for me is Haines City or Cleremont (there's nothing else to really compare in FL). Going to see what best bike split says the wattage for a sub 5 bike split will be for me.

• Options
    simonsen77simonsen77 Member, Rooster Endurance Member

@KMRyanTri couldn't see it on my phone but seeing that 15mph now. A hilly course for me is Haines City or Cleremont (there's nothing else to really compare in FL). Going to see what best bike split says the wattage for a sub 5 bike split will be for me.

Come a few hours north and do Augusta, or Mountains to Main Street for some rolling hill rides.
    Tad_MRobert Rankin
    First #BAAW Badge Recipient
  • Options
    Robert RankinRobert Rankin Member
    edited April 30

Come a few hours north and do Augusta, or Mountains to Main Street for some rolling hill rides.
    I'm doing Rock n' Rollman (looks like same elevation as Haines just steeper climbs) in Sept most likely then look to add M2M next year. Best Bike Split says I'd do pretty much the same time on 5W more NP that I did IMFL last year?

*so the wattage is the same because I subtracted 15 lbs from my weight. I'd like to be 30 lbs lighter but 15 will be easily doable

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file

The Roost

@ 2018 The Triathlon Roost, All rights reserved.

Contact us

webstey@triroost.com

Get In Touch